PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine primers

abunaitoo
07-04-2016, 07:14 PM
I've been using small rifle primers with IMR4227.
Has anyone tried small magnum primers.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-04-2016, 07:30 PM
What's the perceived problem? Regular CCI small rifle primers have always worked well for me. Are you getting unburned powder granules?

georgerkahn
07-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Being more than slightly OCD, I use only CCI 41 primers in my M1 Carbines. These boast roughly the same flash as magnums, with the added bonus of being less apt to slam fire. The CCI web-link is http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers.aspx?id=30 , if you wish to read up on them. Also, too, I've been fortunate in prices are often low. For the M1 Garand, with similar firing pin system, I use the CCI 34 primers. Both the small (41) and large (34) are made to NATO sensitivity.
BEST!
geo

Scharfschuetze
07-05-2016, 12:10 AM
I've been using small rifle primers with IMR4227.
Has anyone tried small magnum primers.

The M1 Carbine case is pretty small. Given that, I've never tried using magnum primers. I've always had good results with CCI 400 SR primers in my carbines using either jacketed or cast bullets over H110, 2400 or 296 powders.

I got my first carbine in 1965 and I've enjoyed them ever since.

abunaitoo
07-05-2016, 09:38 PM
They state "Use the same data as CCI Magnum primers".
I'm wondering if they mean it's equal to magnum?????

Being more than slightly OCD, I use only CCI 41 primers in my M1 Carbines. These boast roughly the same flash as magnums, with the added bonus of being less apt to slam fire. The CCI web-link is http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers.aspx?id=30 , if you wish to read up on them. Also, too, I've been fortunate in prices are often low. For the M1 Garand, with similar firing pin system, I use the CCI 34 primers. Both the small (41) and large (34) are made to NATO sensitivity.
BEST!
geo

abunaitoo
07-05-2016, 09:39 PM
I was just wondering.
I thought maybe someone had tried it and could report better, worse, or the same.

bdbruce
07-08-2016, 01:10 PM
I used to use CCI or any other brand of small rifle primers. Now I use CCI #34 also for slam fire resistance, not that I ever had a "Slam Fire" with all the thousands of rounds I've put thru my carbine since 1966. I use Lyman 311359 gas check, hardball alloy and Lyman Orange Magic lube, sized to .309". I use 11.8 grains of 2400, very accurate and operates the gun well. I also use CCI #41 for my M1 Garand reloads, using Lyman 311366 gas check, hardball alloy and Lyman Orange Magic lube, sized to .309"cast boolits.

Keep that Carbine in action! Bruce

zomby woof
07-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Small rifle primers are supposed to be the same as small pistol magnum. Same thing.

WineMan
07-11-2016, 09:49 PM
In over 40 years of Carbine reloading, I have never used a "magnum" primer. The usual suspect powders including H110/W296 ignite easily in the almost full case. I don't see any harm in a mag primer, but maybe a reduction in powder charge might be in order. What I have found is that some of the cast bullets like the LEE soupcan, can cause the bolt to not lock up fully if seated out too long. Again, a higher pressure condition is created by deeper seating. The M1C is a high pressure little beast, without much meat (enough for 40K for sure). All the USGI actions are pushing 70 and most have seen quite a bit of use. My cast go to is the Lyman 311359 GC, 13 Gr W296 and a CCI 400 (my gun only). It shoots about as well as a 110 grain SP or FMJ reload and better than factory (not by much though). Honestly, I have not done much experimenting, but what I know is keep the nose profile like the original, and avoid the fatter, more wadcutter shapes.

Dave

Geezer in NH
07-18-2016, 10:07 PM
I have never had a slam fire in an M1 carbine or an AR-15 with any commercial primer.

But unlike many I clean my rifle after shooting.

I do not care if a primer has a dimple after loading it into the chamber. Heck my Marlin 1895 does that every time since new in the 1970's.

The only double I had was in an AR-15 that the hammer pin walked out and let the hammer sear get messed up. A new better quality hammer solved that.

I sold over 2K AR's from my shop without the internet problem. CLEAN YOUR RIFLE after shooting every time not after 6 months and 3K rounds shot.

M-Tecs
07-19-2016, 01:15 AM
Small rifle primers are supposed to be the same as small pistol magnum. Same thing.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/8711

I worked at CCI 1961-1969 during that time the mixture used in small rifle and small pistol was differant. The cups in small rifle are
harder than small pistol. I made the primer mixture and also charged the primers and .22 lr cases during my time with CCI. Modern day
primers might be different.

dogrunner
07-24-2016, 05:19 PM
I have used standard SR's, magnum SR, standard SP and magnum SP's........All thru my 1944 M1A1 with approximately equal results. Mostly the powder has been 2400, but I'll vary that if I have something that might do as well.

Mostly the bullet of choice has been Lyman's 311359 @ .308 and lubed with my now dwindling supply of Javelina Alox........let me note that my rifle is a selective fire conversion and it works as well today as when I did said changeover way back in '67.....only gripe I've ever had has been magazine related. Shooting straight wheelweight....usually checked....I get minimal leading tho I do have one of the comp. arrangements on the bbl and that does show lead flashing that's easily removed. Used to load the thing substantially hotter, but right at 12 grains of the 24 stuff prints well.

Overall, it's an easy cartridge to reload.....heck, most of the brass I have is dated in and around the Korean war era.....even have some of the older steel cased stuff. I don't trim...if they crack I toss 'em.

Been a fun gun!!

cwheel
07-29-2016, 12:18 AM
I have had slam fires in a Winchester M1 carbine using standard CCI small rifle primers. Slam fires occurred ( and still will ) if the carbine is loaded single round into the chamber letting the bolt slam home. Same primer fired from a loaded mag will not slam fire feeding from a mag. I'm guessing here, but I think stripping the round from the mag slows the bolt down enough to prevent the slam fire. Next time I load 30 carbine I will use CCI #41 and see if that ends the problem with a harder primer. Please note here, all of the carbine parts are within specs. I have 2 Winchester carbines that will do the same thing with this round.
Chris

Scharfschuetze
07-30-2016, 03:06 PM
I'm guessing here, but I think stripping the round from the mag slows the bolt down enough to prevent the slam fire.

Spot on Cwheel. The procedure for the M1 Carbine, the M1 Garand and the M14/M1A when single loading is to ride the bolt forward slightly to slow its velocity down when chambering a single round without the magazine/clip in place. Doing so will negate any tendency for the weapon to slam fire.

These weapons were designed to load from the clip/magazine so single loading is outside of their operating window, but it is a common enough procedure, particularly with the M1 and M14 when shooting slow fire at the longer ranges at rifle matches.

Of course your solution of a harder primer cup will do the job too, although I'd still ride that bolt forward an inch or two when single loading.

cwheel
08-01-2016, 04:21 PM
I've decided to use the harder mil spec primers at the next loading, but that's about 2500 rounds away. For now, my carbines will only load ammo feeding from mags. Because I can duplicate this slam fire with both carbines in about 1 of 4 shots, harder primer or not, only feeding from mags from now on, and the reason why was introduced to the grandkids training with a demonstration. Sure made the point of keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction down range. This demo made the point with them quickly.
Chris