PDA

View Full Version : Lid for Master Caster

Nick Quick
07-04-2016, 05:22 PM
Ever since I replaced my good ole RCBS Pro-Melt with a Master Caster I realized I need a lid for it. When I was using the RCBS I bought the lid for it and I was so happy with the new add-on. I cast in an area with lots of wind and wind is a pain in the back. Every time the wind blew leaves, dirt and even temperature wise was a bit finicky to work with. OK, I will admit, once trying to make room for one more ingot to pre warm on the melter side I accidentally dropped one inside the pot and made a big splash. Thanx God none ended on my skin but that was the moment I decided I need a lid.
After the lid addition I was a happy camper all the way.
Well, now with the MC the same thing. I always keep a metal tray on top to cover the pot, to pre-warm the ingots and stop dirt from being thrown by wind in the pot. But the tray doesn't cover well, is way to big and is not really convenient even tho is better than nothing.
So I sent a message to the OpenNRG company who build the upgrades for LEE and RCBS furnaces asking if they can build one lid for my Master Caster. And I was pleasantly surprised to get an answer back saying that they will do it.

Now any MC owner is using a lid or I'm the only one. I'm just curious as I absolutely love the machine and the production rate. Once the mold is in place, side rails are properly adjusted and the temperature is appropriated the rest is just a walk in the park. I even casted with a hand held mold. Not that I needed but to see if I can do it in case I will ever need it. The two pouring spouts drop molten lead perfectly in the center of the openings of the hand held mold. Two at a the time.
I love the quality and the sturdiness of the machine. After I will have the lid I will be in business for good. I personally find the lid very useful and knowing the OpenNRG product quality I bet the new lid will look and function great.

ReloaderFred
07-04-2016, 05:33 PM
I don't use a lid on either of my Master Casters. In fact, the thought hadn't even occurred to me, but I cast inside, with good ventilation, so blowing debris isn't a problem for me.

I'm curious as to why you needed a lid, other than casting where blowing stuff is a problem?

Fred

Nick Quick
07-04-2016, 07:54 PM
I have no place to cast inside. So for me wind blowing is a problem. Also I observed when I was using the RCBS that with the lid the temperature raise faster and stay there better. On top of that I pre warm my ingots on it.
With the MC is not the case but when I was using molds with handles I used to let the mold on top of the lid to stay warm when I had to interrupt and take a call, send a fax, check loads online etc. I cannot ever get out of the business mode as I can lose great paid freight in seconds. So once the phone rings business I have to let everything and take a break for a while.
I loved the lid on my RCBS and It won;t be different now for the MC.
At 50F outside temp a lid is a must. I don;t have a PID so I always worry about the temperature.

ReloaderFred
07-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just wondered.

When I cast with the Master Caster, it's usually an 8 hour session. I prefer to cast in the winter when it's raining so I don't feel like I've wasted a day due to the weather. I normally save other outside tasks for the summer weather as much as possible.

Fred

Nick Quick
07-04-2016, 09:22 PM
When I've heard "casting in the winter" I right away checked to see where are you from. Now it makes sense. When is winter in my neck of the woods then no chance to cast outside.

AbitNutz
07-05-2016, 05:38 PM
How would a lid look on a M/C? I'm curious. I have one and wouldn't be against trying one out. It sounds like a good and pretty obvious idea.

runfiverun
07-06-2016, 12:34 AM
I converted one of my master caster pots to use when hand casting.
I long ago made a top for both of them from some 3/4" thick steel.
the cover holds 5-6 ingots easily and is also a good place to warm the next mold up while still allowing me to add ingots to the pot.
it's nothing fancy just a disc of steel that covers the top of the pot with a slot open at the front so I can add lead.
I made one for my lee pots also, it adds mass and helps keep the alloy temp more stable.

Nick Quick
07-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Is true, the cover is nothing fancy but a metallic disk who serves various purposes depend on personal preferences. I wonder if steel would be preferred over aluminium. For the RCBS I only used the aluminium one so no personal experience with steel.

runfiverun
07-06-2016, 09:58 AM
I gotta watch putting the ingots on the top, they will melt if left up there too long.

anyway I prefer the steel because of it's thermal property versus aluminum's.

ReloaderFred
07-06-2016, 10:11 AM
I gotta watch putting the ingots on the top, they will melt if left up there too long.

Especially if you go to answer the phone, and then decide to go ahead and have lunch.............. It sure does make a mess!

I smelt into 8 to 10 pound ingots and place them on the top rear lip of the Master Caster to preheat when casting bullets. It works well, as long as the phone doesn't ring and I don't get distracted by hunger and forget there's one up there.....

Fred