PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody seen a powder measure like this one???

TheOldGreybeard
07-04-2016, 01:59 PM
An acquaintence presented me with this powder measure last week. Since I have been at this (reloading) for around 50 years, I thought I had seen examples of most of the equipment used. I have not seen a powder measuer like this before, however. The body is cast iron, the drum is also iron/steel, along with the adjustment plug/screw. The reservoir is plastic and the knob on the end of the steel handle is aluminum. The chamber capacity is adjusted through the round hole on the back of the body. Curiously, the minimum capacity is around 25 grains, while the maximum is around 60 gr. of ball powder. The "knocker" looks just like a Lyman, but nothing else looks like any I have seen. I am most curious to know the source of this odd, difficult to adjust but VERY accurate measure...171564171565171566171567

Photo 1 shows the back of the measure. You can see the shiny drum through the adjustment port.
Photo 2 shows the front of the measure
Photo 3 shows the drum in the position is would be when dumping powder out of the chamber and
Photo 4 shows the drum and powder chamber.

Ignore the brass drop tube, I made that yesterday as there was none with the measure.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide! TheOldGreybeard

OS OK
07-04-2016, 02:34 PM
First impression was the old Lyman 55 type housing with knocker. The adjustment screw is not known to me. I searched the web for similar pictures but to no avail...sorry.

charlie

seagiant
07-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Hi,
It is a First Generation Saeco, takes a "small" drum and a "large" drum to get all the pistol/rifle weights!

They are excellent powder measures!!!

TheOldGreybeard
07-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Excellent! Thanks so much both of you. It is indeed a very accurate measure...I dropped 10 each with ball powder and a short stick powder and the results were more consistent than obtainable with quite a lot of other measures.

TheOldGreybeard
07-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks Charlie, I also searched the web for a picture, but found none since I didn't know what I was looking for. As I own a vintage Lyman, I felt it wasn't one of those, which was confirmed by pics I found on the web of a very early version of the Lyman #5.