PDA

View Full Version : 1894 Carrier problems

crabo
05-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Okay, I got this almost new 1894 357 CB. It supposedly on had one match on the gun. I can’t leave anything well enough alone, so I bought a WWG trigger, Bear Proof ejector, WWG follower, Evil Roy one piece firing pin and put all the parts in.

I decided to polish things up and followed the directions on

http://eightbits.home.att.net/marlinjam.html

to fix the dreaded “Marlin” jam before it happened. I followed the directions and radiused the sharp point on the lever cam.

I followed this link to modify my carrier.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=291649

When I pulled out my carrier, I could see that someone had taken a grinder to the square on the side of the carrier. It was pretty rough, so I slicked it out a little bit. I also polished things wherever I could see they had rubbed. I was careful to take very little metal off.

I put it all back together, with a little Tetra Gun light grease, and now I have the dreaded “Marlin” jam. It seems like the carrier is not moving freely. Sometimes if I cycle it real hard and fast, it will load a single round from the tube. It will not load one at a time from the tube if you have 2 in the tube.

Anyone have any ideas? I think this is related to the carrier since it does not move freely.

Thanks,

Crabo

Scrounger
05-21-2008, 01:11 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jon K
05-21-2008, 04:07 AM
Are you sure it's the carrier? Might be the follower & tube, fit may be rough or tight, not allowing it to feed. The tube may be out of round, or distorted when it was cut to length during production. My buddy had the feed problem(1894), I chamfered the end & reamed about 3/4" of the tube ID, and deburred the follower.

Check and see if the carrier is dropping to allow the next round in.

Good Luck,
Jon

crabo
05-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks Jon, I will try putting the original follower back in first and see what that does before anything else. I did notice that when I just had the carrier in by itself, that I had to take something and push the follower back in to move the carrier up and down. I did reblue all of the parts I polished and maybe I will have some scratches to give me a clue when I take it back apart.

The action is a lot smoother and the trigger is a lot better. I am wondering why someone would take a grinder to the block on the side of the carrier?

Crabo