PDA

View Full Version : The RCBS 4X4 Press * Plus* The LEE Drum Powder Measure????

seagiant
07-04-2016, 12:49 AM
Hi,
Was able to pick up a RCBS Progressive 4x4 Press from a fellow motorcyle friend.

He had got it from a gentleman going out of the reload game.

Asked me about it and told him what I knew, also said when he wanted to sale it let me know?

About a year later he said come get it!

It comes with a RCBS PM, but runs on the rod that rotates the shellholder (this is an AUTO model)

That means of course everytime you pull the handle, you get powder weather there is a case there or not!!!

I was looking at a Hornady or RCBS case actuated gizmos but, they are pretty high priced to me for what they are???

I was then informed by JMort that LEE made a case actuated DRUM PM that worked pretty good and didn't break the bank!

Ok, I will admit I don't keep up with the latest LEE products, but did my research and everyone seemed happy....

I ordered two!!!!

Here are some pics, the dies I am using are an old set of CHROME 45AUTO Pacifics I got from 44 Vaquero, and they work great!

The seating die will actually put in a sweet little ROLL crimp if you want but I use a taper crimp as a final crimp on ACP cartridges!

jmort
07-04-2016, 12:57 AM
A red press will really mess up that whole green vibe.

seagiant
07-04-2016, 01:06 AM
Hi,
Ha!

I think that red press is gonna go machine grey when I get it!

I wish LEE made the PM Hopper in grey also?

Might look into machining a base with a tube piece and make a clear hopper for the LEE drum measures?

Should just be able to slide in just like the original and could even add a set screw on the side?

Just ideas rolling around when I actually got the measure in my hand!

flashhole
07-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Pretty nice press lineup. I especially like the one on the far end.

seagiant
07-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Pretty nice press lineup. I especially like the one on the far end.

Hi,
Ha!

I think I agree, and that RCBS 4X4 is a beast its self!!!

I took the PM completely apart and the actuating mechanism is pretty neat!

Not bad to get a decent powder measure with built in case activation for $35!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGW_usjiOSk

LUBEDUDE
07-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Nice bench of Beasts there SG! A lot of testosterone flowing there. :)

smoked turkey
07-05-2016, 11:29 PM
I too really like the reloading setup. I am glad you spiffed up your bench before the picture. It looks very business like.

seagiant
07-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Hi,
A neat, orderly, reload bench, equals a psychotic mind!!! Ha!

seagiant
07-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Hi,
Nobody uses the RCBS 4x4 press???

Seems there would be more owners here?

Curious about different opinions?

jmort
07-07-2016, 08:51 PM
Looks robust and the Big Max style handle is ultra cool. I would like to learn some more about them.

seagiant
07-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Hi,
Well...I have tested the priming system and the LEE Drum measure as far as operation and everything looks good.

I have even set up the Pacific CHROME dies to load 45 ACP (AUTO) BUT....

I have not yet reloaded a round as I ran out of time and had to get back to work (out of town!)

However when I get home again I will be ready to load powder and primers and reload.

I still need to attach the press to a piece of aluminum and also this press comes with it's own loaded round box, chute and an auto bullet ejector!!!

With a piece of sheet aluminum I can put it all together and then secure it with "C" clamps to my bench.

This allows me to move a press where ever I want to and even set it away for storage if need be!

The pic above is not mine but one I saw on the WEB, looks like someone is using a Dillon PM on it!