PDA

View Full Version : Potato Pancakes: Caution! Habit forming!

Tom Herman
05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Reibekuchen: Potato Pancakes Tom Herman 28 Jan 2007

This is a recipe for potato pancakes that my Mother developed over many years and handed down to me. Vielen Dank, Mama!

Ingredients:

3 large Russet potatoes
1 large sweet onion: Vidalia or Walla-Walla sweet preferred

˝ cup Matza meal
˝ cup Cream of Wheat (any type)
1 egg
2 heaping tablespoons Knorr brand Delicatessbruhe or bullion cubes
1 level tsp salt

Cooking Oil: Olive oil preferred

Peel potatoes and onion. Dice same.
Put potatoe/onion mixture through a food processor. The smaller the pieces, the better! Puree if possible… Put mixture in a large bowl.

Add Matza meal, Cream of Wheat, egg, delicatessbruhe or bullion, and salt. Blend them all together thoroughly. Allow to sit for five minutes.

Add 3/16” cooking oil to a large pan (I use olive oil). Preheat cooking oil at medium high heat.

Add two heaping tablespoons of mixture to pan and spread out about 1/4-3/8”thick to make a pancake. Continue to make pancakes until pan is full.
Keep an eye out for the edges of the pancakes to brown. Flip them over at that point.
Cook until lightly browned.
Remove and blot on paper towels.
Eat as is, or enjoy with applesauce!

Lee
05-21-2008, 12:21 AM
'Em of us unable to obtain the matza meal, do you have any suggestions for a suitable substitute???

Potato pancakes are one of my favorites. I'll have to dig up a "Lenten Platter" recipe for you pancake and seafood lovers out there...............Lee:wink:

Tom Herman
05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi Lee!

The potato pancakes are favorites of mine, especially in cold weather.
IIRC, Matza meal is noting but ground up unleavened bread.
Mom once said that if I couldn't find it, to just up the amount of Cream of Wheat.
I haven't tried it that way, yet, as I can get Matza meal in Olympia, about a 50 mile drive... If it's available, you'll usually find it in the Kosher section of larger grocery stores.
By all means, share your recipes!
Enjoy and Happy Shootin'! -Tom

'Em of us unable to obtain the matza meal, do you have any suggestions for a suitable substitute???

Potato pancakes are one of my favorites. I'll have to dig up a "Lenten Platter" recipe for you pancake and seafood lovers out there...............Lee:wink:

Morgan Astorbilt
05-21-2008, 10:48 AM
We put ours through an old fashioned meat grinder, and always ate them with sour cream.
Morgan

Scrounger
05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
My mother used the left over mashed potatoes to make them. Just added an egg, a little flour, salt and pepper, and fried them.

GSM
05-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Scrounger:

Yes! Still a favorite.

Sunday dinner usually had mashed potatoes. Monday's dinner usually had potatoe pancakes - crispy edges and soft in the middle.

Lee
06-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Use whatever potato pancake recipes you wish. Try stuffing them with this. Garonteed, you'll get religion.........

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v7.07

Title: Lenten Platter
Categories: Seafood
Servings: 6

12 ea Potato pancakes, cooked 3 ea Table onions, 1/16" slices
1/3 pk Chopped spinach, thaw, drain 1 pt Half & Half
18 ea Shrimp,peel,deveined,cooked 4 tb Flour
18 ea Scallops,cooked,3/4" chunks 6 tb Butter
18 ea Crab,cooked, 3/4" chunks 6 tb White wine
18 ea Fish,cooked, 3/4" chunks Garlic powder to taste
6 ea Swiss cheese slices Paprika (optional)
1/2 c Cheddar cheese, shredded

Prepare potato pancakes according to package directions;cook till crisp.
In saucepan on medium heat melt butter;stir in flour to make paste;add
Half & Half slowly;stir and heat till thickened;add wine. Add spinach and
seafood, garlic powder, chopped onions and Cheddar cheese;stir till heated
through. To serve, spoon seafood mixture over potato pancake;top with
slice of swiss cheese and second potato pancake. Spoon extra sauce on top
and garnish with paprika.

-----
And it just keeps getting better and better......

EMC45
06-18-2008, 06:05 AM
I eat 'em with sour cream too.

sundog
06-18-2008, 10:12 AM
German style potato pancakes from old family recipe requires the use of old fashioned flat wire mesh potato grater. Recipe includes potatoes, onion, apple, egg, baking powder, flour, and salt and pepper. The potatoes, onion, and apple MUST be grated by hand to get the right texture. A labor of love, but worth the effort.

kodiak1
06-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Sour Cream and if that isn't handy turn to the old Ranch Dressing.
Keep up the appetizing Posts Ken.

crowbuster
06-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Yep, ranch, sour cream all good but the best is worcestershire mmmm mmm recon you guys went and made me hungry. Great recipes. THANKS!!!!:drinks:

C.B.