PDA

View Full Version : Bacon, Onions & Noodles.

Tom Herman
05-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Bacon, Onions, & Noodle recipe. Tom Herman 03 Feb 2008
Feeds 3-4 hungry people.

This recipe is another family hand me down: I adapted it from how my Oma Mechthildt made it back in Germany.

Ingredients:

1 bag of medium or wide egg noodles, 12-16 Ounces.
2 large onions: Vidalia, Walla-Walla, or other sweet onion preferred
1 pound bacon, frozen.
4-8 oz. cooking oil (Olive preferred, Canola, or peanut oil)
¼-1/2 tsp. Maggi seasoning (“German soy sauce”) as needed.
½-1 tsp. soy sauce as needed.
1 TSP salt.

Helpful Hints...

Make sure the bacon you use is either frozen or semi-frozen. It’s a lot easier and less messy to cut it this way than when it’s thawed.
Don’t heat the bacon, onions, and noodles too high: It’s better to let them cook longer than to burn them.
Timing is important! Don’t drop the onions in until the bacon starts to foam.
Don’t drop the noodles into the water until the bacon and onions start to cook down a bit.

How to make it all happen….

Cut the frozen bacon “across the grain” into strips about ½” wide.
Put the cut bacon into a pan, add 4-8 ounces of cooking oil to help it cook, and put onto burner set to medium or medium high.
Fill pot with water, add 1 TSP salt, and bring up to boiling slowly (it does not have to boil for about another 15 minutes).

Next, peel the outside layer off the onions. Jill taught me this next move, and it’s slick: Cut an onion in half from top to bottom.
Now flop an onion half upside down so the flat part is on the cutting board. Cut in strips (keeping them together) from top to bottom about ¼” wide. When done, cut in the other direction to form approx ¼” chunks. Repeat for second onion.

Watch the bacon, separate the strips with a fork as they thaw out in the pan. Turn the bacon over from time to time so the bacon doesn’t burn.
Add the onions into the bacon when the bacon starts to foam, and before it is thoroughly cooked. Mix well.
Turn the bacon and onions over frequently with a spatula.

Add the noodles to the boiling water when the bacon and onions have started cooking down a bit.

Season the bacon and onions with a small amount of Maggi. Then season the bacon and onions with about twice as much soy sauce.
Taste a sample of the bacon and onions in a few minutes and add more soy sauce as needed. Don’t over do it!

Cook bacon and onions until the onions have softened and browned, and the bacon is cooked.
Drain bacon and onions when done.

Drain noodles when done.

Add bacon and onions to the noodles, mix, and serve.

Enjoy! -Tom

Lee
06-10-2008, 12:59 AM
'Nother excellent recipe. I'm afraid I'd hate to face you in one of the TV "chef cook-offs"!!!!!!.............

redneckdan
06-16-2011, 12:00 PM
made up a batch of this the other night. fine eatin for sure. not health food by any stretch of the imagination.

Dale in Louisiana
06-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Pretty darned close to a recipe for "Pasta alla Carbonara (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=3062)". Just goes to show that there' ain't much new under the sun.

dale in Louisiana