PDA

View Full Version : my first one is gone

Lloyd Smale
07-03-2016, 06:47 AM
First gun I ever bought new was a 1022 deluxe I picked up when I first got out of the service and got a real job. Its proabably killed more things then all my other guns combined. My grandson got it for his birthday yesterday. Ive got a couple other 1022s but that one was the best shooter I ever had and I'm glad it will continue to have the snot shot out of it for many more years. 22 shells are tough to find up here still so I gave him one brick and told him if he helps me fix my road out at camp this week ill give him another. He was a happy boy when he left for home.

funnyjim014
07-03-2016, 07:39 AM
It may be gone...but I'm sure you will be seeing it on your range alot more.

Earlwb
07-03-2016, 10:05 AM
I bet you will still be seeing it around a lot though. It is nice to get the young ones interested in shooting too.

My first .22 RF gun was a old Winchester single shot rifle. The extractor was worn down on it. But you could easily pick the spent case out with your fingernail, so I never got it fixed. I eventually sold it and got a better gun many years later though. Like usual I regret selling it. But I get regrets with any gun I sell though.

w5pv
07-04-2016, 07:16 AM
Keep the memories alive,they are there to be enjoyed.

500MAG
07-04-2016, 07:27 AM
I hope to do the same some day. Although, by the time I'm able to do that they will probably throw me in prison.

contender1
07-10-2016, 09:03 AM
An excellent way to see one leave.
I've started a "diary" of sorts with a few special guns. That way,,, when I pass one along,,, or I'm gone,,, the new owners can reflect upon it's history & what I did with it, or how it served me. That way, a child or grandchild can read what I did with it, & why it was special to me.
Remember how many times we've said; "If only this gun could talk?" Well, I'm talking for it.

imashooter2
07-10-2016, 10:39 AM
My heirloom guns are treasures. Every time I pick one up I'm shooting with Dad or Grampa again. You can't buy that. It has to be given by someone you love. Your Grandson will have those same memories.

Hardcast416taylor
07-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Yes, Lloyd I also have an 1022 International Mannlicher stocked rifle from the original run of them. I shot loads of .22`s thru it and kept it clean and lubed. Took a pile of squirrels and rabbits and other critters with it through the years. I gave it to my son when he exited the Marines as he had always liked it. I got it back 5 years ago after we lost him. It just sits in the back of the safe now.Robert

merlin101
07-10-2016, 11:29 AM
I bet you will still be seeing it around a lot though. It is nice to get the young ones interested in shooting too.

My first .22 RF gun was a old Winchester single shot rifle. The extractor was worn down on it. But you could easily pick the spent case out with your fingernail, so I never got it fixed. I eventually sold it and got a better gun many years later though. Like usual I regret selling it. But I get regrets with any gun I sell though.
YUP,yup and yup. Same gun same problem and same regrets!

jrmartin1964
07-10-2016, 02:11 PM
I am on the other end of that story...I still have my first "real" gun, a Remington Model 24, .22 Short, that was given to me by my grandfather a little more than 40 years ago. Although the "What's My Gun Worth" books say otherwise, it is easily the most valuable firearm I own.

Geezer in NH
07-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Very good it is not gone, but where it belongs now? Kudu's sir. :goodpost:

Lloyd Smale
07-12-2016, 08:11 AM
makes it one of the special ones robert. One you pull out once a year or so and just sit in the chair holding it and remembering! Worth more then the rest of your guns put together!!! and in my opinion one of the most valuable 1022s ever made!
Yes, Lloyd I also have an 1022 International Mannlicher stocked rifle from the original run of them. I shot loads of .22`s thru it and kept it clean and lubed. Took a pile of squirrels and rabbits and other critters with it through the years. I gave it to my son when he exited the Marines as he had always liked it. I got it back 5 years ago after we lost him. It just sits in the back of the safe now.Robert

Hogtamer
07-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Joined your club today Lloyd. My oldest grandson just turned 13. He got my old Marlin m60 with an old K 2x weaver, both in great shape. 500 rds and a stack of targets. He's already killed deer and turkey with his 20 ga, but a kid's just gotta have a decent .22.

captain-03
07-24-2016, 07:41 PM
...... but a kid's just gotta have a decent .22.

..... and that is a FACT!!!!

Speedo66
08-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Nice move. I've started gifting my adult children with items they'd enjoy, including monetary funds. Gave my son my Rolex Submariner a few years back, I'd had it for 40 years. Prefer to see them enjoying 'em while I'm still alive. lol

Blackwater
08-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Lloyd, that is the absolute BEST way to 'lose' a gun! Good on ya'!