PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 loads?

MT Gianni
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Anyone shooting cast in these? I have a yugo sks that has seen some but with only fair results. Gianni.

Bullshop
10-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Anyone shooting cast in these? I have a yugo sks that has seen some but with only fair results. Gianni.
I have a 165gn from NEI that has worked real well, as good as anything I have tried in the sks. Want a sample?
BIC/BS

StarMetal
10-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Mt Gianni

The Lee 312 155 is made specifically for this round. I have and shoot it out of my Yugo to the tune of 2 inch groups at 100 yards at 2300 fps. Feeds and cycles great and can't ask for more accuracy then that from that type of firearm and issue sights.

You can shoot just about all 30 caliber cast bullets from them, alot of us have for example shot the Lyman 311284 and the Lyman 314299 which both are long heavy bullets.

My load for the Lee though is 23 grs of surplus 844 and 25 grs of surplus 4895.

Joe

JeffinNZ
10-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi
I have had mixed success with Lyman 311466 over 22-24gr 748 at 1600fps. Cycles well. Have not tried faster powder.

MT Gianni
10-26-2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks guys I have tried the lee 155 gr and tha ly 311410? 130 gr pb and have a 100 gr 32 cal pistol mold that I was given for being in the right place at the right time. My gun shoots J word bullets fine but doesn't seem to do near as well with cast from 9 gr unique to 4895. I also want to beagle a lee 113 fp and see what happens but was curious about powders and speeds for accuracy. Gianni.

Maven
10-26-2005, 09:55 AM
MT, With respect to the SKS, I think bullet fit and bore quality are more important than bullet design. E.g., I have the LBT version (custom fitted) of the Lee/C.E. Harris CB, which I size to .314" and load with 13 - 15gr. WC 820. Accuracy is 2 m.o.a. from an "as issued" [Chinese] Type 56 rifle purchased new. #314299 also sized to .314" does almost as well at 3 m.o.a., but must be single-loaded owing to the OAL of the cartridge. The biggest surprise, however, came when I tried #321232, a PB tapered "Loverin" bullet (has the nose of #311041 wi. a Loverin body, but no GC), which was made for an entirely different caliber & rifle: It shot into ~3 m.o.a. with no leading at all using the 13 & 14gr. WC 820. Btw, you can use Alliant 2400 at 13-15gr. and get the about the same performance: Accuracy, clean cases, enough pressure to operate the action.* You may also want to coat the face of the gas piston with white lithium grease or NAPA dgf 123 to make the removal of lead deposits there less onerous.

*14gr. WC 820 will reliably operate the action; 13gr. gives less reliable extraction.

jethrow strait
10-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Could you gents give me the 'short course' on SKSs. Never thought I'd be interested in one, but now that I have Savage 110 and Handi-rifle barrels in the 7.62X39, I'm thinking maybe I 'need' one after all.

In these parts there seem to be mainly Yugos at around a hundred bucks and Chinese at two-fifty or more. What gives??? Is it just scarcity of the Chino due to the Clintonista trade embargo, or something else???

Thank You, jethrow

Ed Barrett
10-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Could you gents give me the 'short course' on SKSs. Never thought I'd be interested in one, but now that I have Savage 110 and Handi-rifle barrels in the 7.62X39, I'm thinking maybe I 'need' one after all.

In these parts there seem to be mainly Yugos at around a hundred bucks and Chinese at two-fifty or more. What gives??? Is it just scarcity of the Chino due to the Clintonista trade embargo, or something else???

Thank You, jethrow
I've been thinking about the handi-rifle in 762x39, how is your's doing? Have you got a scope on it?

Maven
10-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Jethro,

I bought my Type 56 for $99 12 yrs ago from Navy Arms and didn't even know Yugo's existed. However, the Yugo's don't have a chromed bore whereas the Type 56's do (chromium was in short supply there), but are built to handle higher pressure than other SKS varieties (Yugo ammo was loaded "hot."). Also, they have a gas cut-off valve that the Type 56's lack. As for bbl. quality and accuracy, judging from members responses here, I think Yugos are more accurate than the Type 56's: This isn't to say the Type 56's are inaccurate. E.g., once in a great while I can get 1 m.o.a. accuracy from my rifle (with CB's) with its open sights and "match quality" (Not!) trigger, but Yugo's apparently do that on a regular basis. If I had it to do over, I'd purchase a new/excellent condition Yugo over the now overpriced Type 56 in a heartbeat.

BlueMoon
10-26-2005, 07:09 PM
I was going to get a 762X39 barrel for my handi but started reading posts that said you couldn't shoot the cheap store ammo in them, something about the primers. I would mostly use handloads but I didn't like the way my buddies SKS threw the empties out. I would like to have a single shot or bolt 762X39 though but thought it odd that you couldn't use store ammo. I would like some more info on the handi barrel also.

Bill

edit: I found what I was interested in under the factory guns topic

StarMetal
10-26-2005, 07:55 PM
There are two types of Yugo SKS. One model has the grenade launder, thus the gas cutoff valve. The other model is similar to Chinese or Russian SKS's. The reason the Yugo's don't have a chromelined bored is because Yugoslavi doesn't have a chromium resource and being they were a Communist-Bloc country at the time these were being made, Mother Soviet Union wouldn't give them any chromium. Now if you're in a war, up to your ass in mud and water, shooting corrosive ammo, no time to clean your barrel, then you would benefit from a chrome lined barrel. Otherwise you don't need the damn stuff and your Yugo isn't hurting one dang bit from not having it. Even if you do shoot corrosive you have the luxury not being a war to clean it. Look at all the corrosive ammo shot out of military guns that don't have chrome lined barrels such as the 7.62x54R Russian, the 98 Mausers, and the 303 Britishs.

Joe

MT Gianni
10-26-2005, 09:44 PM
The yugo is heavy with a bayonet, grenade launcher, and accurate and reliable with surplus ammo. A great value at todays prices. gianni.

jethrow strait
10-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Appreciate the info! Seems that the only Yugos I've been seeing around here have been the ones with the grenade launchers. Knowing that I'm a slow shootin kinda guy, one clerk pitched the easy 'single-shot' option to me,

Hard for me to believe you guys are talking minuet of angle or close with SKSs. In doing that dance, have you found any advantage to using the Remington brass with the small rifle primers??? -----jethrow---

StarMetal
10-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Aim, in Ohio, had the non grenade launching Yugos, but they cost alot more. I think the SKS rifle from any country, in any configuration, is big and heavy. They definately are not a carbine.

Joe

mag_01
10-26-2005, 11:18 PM
:lovebooli MT Gianni--love the Ak-47 and the SKS---I shoot 160 gr.gas ckecked sized .311 -- the mold is the Lee 160 --.309--I would say the buulet comes out of the mold --.310 or .311-- anyway I know the gas check is .311--have had good results with this bullet and fire it up with 19.3 grs. of IMR 4198--cycles the action with authority--and produces good groups. If u try this load start lower and work up---U can also improve ur trigger by playing with the springs in triger mech. --If u want more info on this I would be glad to help---Hard bullets---keep em in the black.

Scrounger
10-26-2005, 11:42 PM
I can't find a listing anywhere for Handi rifle barrels in 7.62x39. Are they available as a complete gun or as a barrel to be added to a gun you have already. Information appreciated.

Bullshop
10-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Gianni
I said a couple days ago I use a 165gn NEI but I never gave a load.I finaly went and dug out the load card from about 10 years ago. I think on the NEI chart it is # 74 and says 7.62x39. It says 155gn x.311 but as all my NEI molds do it runs a bit heavier and over at 165 x .313" Yup the card is dated 9/29/95 and the load
case - WW
boolit - NEI 165 @BHN-20
primer - CCI #200
powder - 22gn AA # 2230
This load shot as good as the gun would. I also had a Ruger 77 7.62x39 at the time and it shot this load very well.
BIC/BS

jethrow strait
10-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Scrounger, barrels are available through their accessory program; the post over on 'New Rifles' was the first I've seen on complete rifles. Odd sort of marketing, but some of the more perceptive(or paranoid)over on the Graybeard NEF site, think that now that Marlin owns em, they use the barrel program as a way of seeing how those chamberings sell. Presumably, they would be brought out in Marlin lever guns if they did well.

If you call them at 978/630-8220, they will tell you if a particular caliber---like 7.62X39 is in stock. They were in stock when I ordered mine last month.-----jethrow

45nut
10-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Scrounger, barrels are available through their accessory program; the post over on 'New Rifles' was the first I've seen on complete rifles. Odd sort of marketing, but some of the more perceptive(or paranoid)over on the Graybeard NEF site, think that now that Marlin owns em, they use the barrel program as a way of seeing how those chamberings sell. Presumably, they would be brought out in Marlin lever guns if they did well.

If you call them at 978/630-8220, they will tell you if a particular caliber---like 7.62X39 is in stock. They were in stock when I ordered mine last month.-----jethrow

Hmm,,a levergun in 7.62x39? wouldn't that be interesting eh?

Dutch4122
10-30-2005, 07:08 AM
Hmm,,a levergun in 7.62x39? wouldn't that be interesting eh?

You got that right! Marlin 336, Ballard rifling of course. Maybe work up some loads with the Lee .30 cal. soupcan. Could be a lot of fun.