PDA

View Full Version : lead score!

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Found a wheel weight when I was on a family walk this morning! Yes, a lead one!

Chris C
07-02-2016, 04:44 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????

CastingFool
07-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Cool!

LakeviewBulldog
07-02-2016, 05:01 PM
I work with plumbers and when one of them brings me an old lead drum trap or lead flashing it's the closest thing I get to feeling like a kid on Christmas any more. Take what you can get. Good job.

osteodoc08
07-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Had a friend of mine doing the fireman boot fundraiser and while
at the intersection he was working picked up a pocketful of lead WW. Big ones too!

William Yanda
07-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Found one walking across the parking lot into work the other day. Zinc! Your luck was better than mine.

Chris C
07-02-2016, 08:00 PM
OMG, and I've been bustin' my hump going from auto dealer to auto dealer, from tire shop to tire shop scroungin' and beggin' for wheel weights and I could have just walked down the street and picked them up. What in the world was I thinkin'? :kidding:

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-02-2016, 09:45 PM
I don't want to brag, but I think I can get two, maybe three, 380 auto boolits out of my big score.;)
Seriously though, it all adds up!

Chris C
07-02-2016, 09:51 PM
I guess. ;)

Butchman205
07-02-2016, 11:07 PM
I don't want to brag, but I think I can get two, maybe three, 380 auto boolits out of my big score.;)
Seriously though, it all adds up!

Yessir!

A very wealthy man once told me, take care of the nickels and dimes...and you'll never have to worry about the dollars.

But another wealthy friend said he was full of poopy...best way to save $ is to make a crapload!

I do find myself picking up single wheelweights, even though I go through 5 gallon buckets of them.

-Butchman

WRideout
07-03-2016, 08:02 AM
I am old enough I still pick up pennies on the sidewalk. And also wheelweights, without question.

Wayne

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-03-2016, 09:06 AM
To be honest, I probably have my lifetime supply (barring unforeseen circumstances). All of it collected without spending a dime. I did spend a lot of hours collecting though. But I still get excited about a score.

MrWolf
07-03-2016, 09:41 AM
I am old enough I still pick up pennies on the sidewalk. And also wheelweights, without question.

Wayne

Wife and I used to text each other when we found either. Used to be our "thing".

lightman
07-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Thats kind of like finding a lone case laying on the ground at the range. It does nothing for your stash, making little difference to anything, but we still pick them up. Its just what we do! I've got maybe 10 or 12 weights that I have "rescued" this year, mostly driving up to a stop sign or light, spotting it laying there and having no traffic behind me! Makes no sense when you are prolly sitting on a lifetime supply.

Rooster
07-03-2016, 11:23 PM
It's a one man Chinese fire drill as far as my wife knows.

warpspeed
07-03-2016, 11:34 PM
I was sitting at a red light yesterday and looked out in the crosswalk and saw a loose WW just sitting there.

I'm not going to lie, I seriously thought about getting out and picking it up but was with my wife and knew just what I would endure the rest of the day if I did.

And as I type this, I'm thinking about going back tomorrow and see if it's still there.

Is there a cure for this ?

MrWolf
07-04-2016, 08:02 AM
Nope, no cure except going back to get it because you will keep thinking about it :groner:

RogerDat
07-04-2016, 10:28 AM
Cure? Why would I want to cure picking up money? Lead is worth what it costs to acquire. Free for picking up seems like one of the better prices, finding a dime is good too and I don't want to be cured of that either. I like finding dimes.

500MAG
07-04-2016, 10:31 AM
OMG, and I've been bustin' my hump going from auto dealer to auto dealer, from tire shop to tire shop scroungin' and beggin' for wheel weights and I could have just walked down the street and picked them up. What in the world was I thinkin'? :kidding:
I know you have had a hard time finding lead. You may want to check with roofers or handymen in your area about lead roof flashing and roof boots. Sometimes you can score there.

StuBach
07-13-2016, 05:41 AM
I'm fairly new to the whole thing and am with you guys now. Never pass an opportunity. I hit up my local dealership a few months ago for their bucket when I was in for service (all for the low cost of a case of beer). Decided to hit the locally owned auto shop in the small town next to us yesterday and they gave me their heaping 5gal no charge. Too hot to sort yet but reinforced the need to stop everywhere I can. Cost nothing to ask and worst case is they say no and your out a few minutes of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160713/cf61d89bdb4efde130db9bd8e438dd16.jpg

Butchman205
07-13-2016, 08:27 AM
The lead wheel weights are going away. Period.

There are many places to find lead in ginormous quantities...but those are few and far between.

I think of looking for lead as a journey. It takes times to do it cheaply, but for folks with a bunch of $...it can be done immediately.

I've met several folks that have "inherited" a lifetime supply of lead, from someone that had acquired it. Many times it's a legacy thing. If you're serious about helping save lead for the future, sooner or later you will find someone with a bunch of lead that will entrust you as the "keeper of the tradition".

And most of the tire shop folks I've met, are good people that would rather make a friend's day (by giving us a bucket full), rather than sell it for $30-$50.
And some folks just sell it outright.
As for myself, it's a cool hobby to seek lead in small or large quantities. It is a focus hobby, which takes our mind off of our daily problems.

-Butchman

Chris C
07-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Asking tire shops for cast off wheel weights reminds me of what it used to be like when I was single and asking women out for a date. Ya get a lot of "No thank you" responses.................but when you get one "Yes", it can be a walapoloozer of a date! I just kept askin' and lookin' forward to that hot voluptuous red-head! Today's "voluptuous red-head" is a 5-gallon of mainly lead wheel weights. :bigsmyl2: