PDA

View Full Version : WACA Cody Show?

TXGunNut
07-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Anyone else going? I'll be at the show all three days and doing a bit of research at the museum as well.

Uncle Jimbo
07-02-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm going. Will be arriving on the 8th in the late afternoon. Will be hanging around Cody until the 11th.

TXGunNut
07-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Do you have a table? I'll look you up, will be arriving late evening of the 8th.

Uncle Jimbo
07-02-2016, 03:01 PM
No, not a seller or exhibitor, just going over to look. Never been to one of these shows or to the museum.

TXGunNut
07-03-2016, 07:49 PM
I suspect you'll have a great time. My third trip to the museum, first WACA show.

Uncle Jimbo
07-03-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm looking forward to it and I am sure that I will have a good time.

TXGunNut
07-04-2016, 11:10 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the recently re-done John Moses Browning exhibit. They were working on it during my last trip, finished it in January. Lots of other things to see as well; the BBHC can not be fully enjoyed in one day, IMHO. Looking forward to meeting the people and seeing the rifles at the show as well. No idea how I'll fit it all into three days.

Uncle Jimbo
07-04-2016, 03:13 PM
That is why I am taking 4 days to take it all in. Or as much as I can.

TXGunNut
07-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Good plan. Good luck. For some reason I have to keep coming back. ;-)

TXGunNut
07-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Not sure it's the mission I had planned but it seems to have worked out just fine. I'm set up to load and cast for 38WCF and 30US but didn't have a decent rifle for either cartridge...until today. :mrgreen: I found a nice 30US 1895 rifle built in 1907 that has a nice bore and is in very good shape overall. The top part of the fore end is missing and I'm not sure it was ever there. The other is an 1892 rifle in 38WCF built in 1915 that has a nice bore and good bluing other than the receiver which displays the flaking common to that era. Both rifles appear all original and lock up very nicely. Certainly couldn't let that loading equipment and brass remain idle, could I? :bigsmyl2:
Bought a couple of books and a sight elevator so it was a very successful trip. Will be here for a couple more days to do a bit of research.

TXGunNut
07-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Wow! Today I made the rounds of the show again and picked up a part or two and saw lots of things I never thought I'd see. 1892, 1894 and 1873 Trappers. 14lb Sharps rifles. 1873's in .22 cal. High wall and low wall 1885's. Burgess and Whitney rifles. Some very early 1873's. Bottom line it's like good news/bad news joke. Good news: if you're looking for an old Winchester it's probably here. Bad news: if you're looking for an old Winchester it's probably here. I had no problem finding a couple of rifles I am interested in, blew my gun-purchasing budget all to pieces but sometimes when an opportunity presents itself you pull the trigger.
On top of that I met some very good people, among them our very own Uncle Jimbo and his lovely bride.

TXGunNut
07-11-2016, 01:23 AM
Third and final day of the show, simply awesome. Spent the afternoon at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center and had a wonderful time. Fantastic exhibits and programs, proud to be a member.
If you're serious about learning about and collecting Winchesters my advice is to join Winchester Arms Collectors' Assn. Fees are nominal, membership includes some benefits from the BBHC, free admission to WACA shows and access to the WACA forum.
Here's the link (I hope) to the WACA site. If you like what you see and decide to join my member # is 9889 and my name is Michael Hupp.

http://winchestercollector.org/

Uncle Jimbo
07-14-2016, 12:13 AM
Made it home last night from the WACA gun show. It was a wonderful experience. Never seen so many old guns in one place like that.
Spent a day going the the Cody Museum. That was a great museum. Even my wife enjoyed it. We will be planning another trip back to Cody to see the museum again.
Meet TXGunNut at the gun show. Would have liked to visit with him more but I had some things that required my attention that took up my time. Blew a trailer tire on the way up, and they are not that easy to find in a tourist town in the middle of the summer. But all in all, despite the problems, it was a good trip. Glad I went.

TXGunNut
07-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Glad you liked the museum, was good to meet you and your bride. Cody Museum is indeed worth a second trip; the exhibits change now and then and even without change there's just no way to absorb it all in one, even two days.
The western art museum seems to have lost some high-profile pieces but is still worth seeing, as is the Buffalo Bill museum and natural history museum.
Still can't get over all the awesome guns (and good people) at the show. One guy is still a bit miffed with me over a comment I made about one of his guns in Waco a few months back but he was still friendly enough, lol.