PDA

View Full Version : Lee quick trim case trimmer and my Hornady press

07-01-2016, 11:07 PM
I saw the Lee case trimmer set up and thought I'd try it. You mount the die in your press, raise the case into the die, and trim it with the rotary trimmer. Pretty slick! The die and trimmer work well once you get the hang of it.

BUT...obviously, the trimming process produces brass chips and shavings. The kit comes with a little plastic tray to catch the chips, but it misses allot. The problem is that these chips and cuttings work there way in between the ram and base of the press, binding the ram. The chips imbedded into the aluminum base. The press became unusable. I've disassembled the press and will attempt to polish out the base so the ram will operate properly.

I contacted both Lee and Hornady and neither offered any solution, nor had they ever been notified of any such problem. I can't believe that I'm the first or only reloader to have experienced this problem.

Geezer in NH
07-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Small battery op vacuum cleaner. I vac often take all of 3 seconds.

07-07-2016, 09:02 PM
So...no none else has had this problem?

my mom always said I was "special".

L Erie Caster
07-07-2016, 09:46 PM
I have a small artist type paint brush I use to brush away chips, so no problems for me.

farmersamm
07-08-2016, 12:59 AM
When I got back into reloading, I had to replace all my stuff. It had been stolen (long story).

Faithful to my way of looking at all machine tools, welding equipment, and guns...... I wanted ferrous metal. I looked hard for a NOS RCBS Junior 3. It was what I had used almost 40yrs ago. CAST IRON, AND STEEL. I wouldn't own anything made of aluminum that has to take a beating. I found one on Ebay, and it was like being a young dooood again. I was happy. I simply wouldn't buy a cheapo aluminum press!!

I know this doesn't help, and sounds like an "I told ya so", so take it for what it's worth.

I use the Lee trimmer. Best thing since sliced bread. And brass is softer than steel/iron, so no problems with the press I have.

Sort of off topic, but the only brass I've ever had to trim for my handguns has been new Winchester 44mag brass. It positively sucks. Comes with uneven case mouths. Looks like a rollercoaster when you view it from the side. Have to knock them down about 6thou to get them square enough to make a good crimp[smilie=b: I DO NOT BELIEVE IN TRIMMING HANDGUN BRASS :Fire: And about 3 out of a hundred are defective at the rim, won't fit in the shellholder they're so off sized. Word of advice to all....stick to Starline for new, and use once fired (any headstamp but S&B) if available (once fired factory ammo has been smoogied to the correct dimensions prior to leaving the factory as loaded rounds)

Packing a bit of grease around the press base, where the ram goes up thru the top of the base, will help catch the chips, and keep them from entering the bore. Not sure how your press is made, but mine has a slot in the ram to accept the primer arm. I'd make sure to pack this to keep chips from migrating into the bore when the ram is retracted, and the slot goes inside the bore. Pack it to the entire length of the ram which will retract when in use with the trimmer. PITA, but might work out for you.

Good luck

sghart3578
07-08-2016, 01:32 AM
I love the Lee trimmer. I will admit that I don't trim a lot of brass but for what I do trim (7X57, 30-30, 30-06, 223) it works well. If I were one of those guys that trimmed 300-400 223 cases at a time then I would probably look for something else.

I have a steel and cast iron single stage press and I clean the chips off often. Don't forget to pull the trimmer and clean the chips out from inside the die body also.

One tip: When I first started using it it would drag a lot after a little use. I pulled the trimmer die out, cleaned it well with a towel and alcohol and coated it with a thin coat of white lithium grease. Smooth as silk now.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

W.R.Buchanan
07-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Cut a round piece of plastic out of a milk jug about 4" diameter. poke a hole in the center that is big enough to be a push fit over the top of your shell holder.

This will act as a chip deflector.

If you found a plastic vitamin bottle about 4" in dia. you could cut it off about 1" above the bottom, poke the hole in the middle and have a chip catcher.

Randy

Biggs300
07-13-2016, 09:58 PM
I use Lee Quick Trim dies for every caliber I own, including my 9.3x63. The 9.3 is a custom trim die that Lee was kind enough to make for me. I really like their trim dies and have both the manual and one that I use with a portable drill. I use the manual if I only have a few cases to trim.