PDA

View Full Version : CMP M1 Garand Advanced Maintenance Class

AnthonyB
07-01-2016, 12:45 PM
All:
I attended the CMP AMC class on 20-22 June. It was a great class, and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the M1. The first day was heavy on tours of the CMP storage facility co-located with the Custom Shop. There were crates and crates of rifles not fit for sale in their current condition, and two guys who were taking them apart for the parts to be refurbished. We saw some very rare rifles, and even saw a M1 that had been recovered in Afghanistan about six months ago. Most impressive to me were the HUGE crates of op rods, gas cylinders, and bolts sitting in the warehouse. The other tour was of the workshop where they reassemble the parts into rifles for sale. They had ten people or so doing that, and we saw rack upon rack of field grade rifles ready for shipping. At the end of day one we chose the receiver we would use to build our Special Grade rifles during the class. We couldn't choose all "correct" parts, so I chose a SA receiver in the 2 million number range. That was pretty much the end of day one. Day two started with us choosing op rods and trigger group housing, then assembling the trigger group. We had a briefing from the civilian who runs the CMP, and it was very interesting. They have only enough receivers to last about a year, but there are another couple hundred thousand in Korea and the Philippines that their governments want to send back to the US. The CMP has a plan to continue operations even if they don't get those rifles. The rest of day two we installed short-chambered Criterion barrels, timed them to the receivers, and then fitted the barreled action into new stocks. Final part of day two was timing the actions so that all worked properly, and at the end of the day we all had completed rifles. Day three we learned how to eliminate creep from the stock trigger groups, talked about other mods to improve accuracy, and then had our rifles test fired. Three of the twenty rifles failed to function properly; two required new gas cylinders and one a new follower arm. After test firing, we peened the barrels for a tight gas cylinder fit and were done. It was very interesting to me that every single person we talked to absolutely HATED the M1 Carbine. Their perception was that no one ever expected the cheaply manufactured Carbines to still be in use by recreational shooters 70 years later, and they had a real hard time making the ones they recently sold run properly. The guy who runs the Custom Shop told us he knew when he finished a Garand if the rifle would run or not. He said he could not say the same about a Carbine, and wasn't surprised when more than 50% of the Carbines he assembled had problems. We also learned they will run out of Greek surplus ammo this year, so get some now if you want it. All in all a very good class, and I am very happy with my M1 that arrived yesterday.

Scharfschuetze
07-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the update Anthony. I'd love to go sometime.

I once tried to visit the CMP (DCM at the time) facility at Anniston Army Depot, Alabama on a TDY assignment there, but they had just suffered a bad IG inspection and the doors were closed.

nagantguy
07-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Thanks for sharing the tale.about the class, it's always intresting to me to learn something new about a weapon system and see cool.things and meet new folks!

Uncle Grinch
07-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Nice write up!

Omega
07-02-2016, 09:33 PM
What was the cost of the class?

AnthonyB
07-03-2016, 03:28 PM
$800 for the class.
Tony

Wayne Smith
07-07-2016, 09:15 AM
Screwed on short chambered barrels and fired them? No finish chambering?

AnthonyB
07-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Wayne:
Apologies for the lack of clarity in the original post. Yes, we used a finish reamer on the barrels and then checked them with go/no go gauges. The final reaming was the last "sweaty palms hope I don't screw this up" part of the class.
Tony

Loudy13
07-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Awesome story, wonder if that could be added to my bucket list!!

Thanks

thekidd76
07-07-2016, 04:44 PM
$800 for the class.
Tony

Just to clarify, it's $800 for the class, but another ~$1000 for the rifle you build. Just in case any of you are saving up. I took the class last August, and it was worth the time and money to get there.