PDA

View Full Version : Up's and downs of handloading equipment

salpal48
07-01-2016, 10:47 AM
With the shortage of Ammo and components being somewhat over. Coupled with the new pricing in place.Many of the newer loaders are dropping Out of the game. In the past Few months I have noticed a Glut of cheap equipment @ the garage and flea markets. Mostly LEE. I guess the cheap guys who thought They could load found they had to think and develop a skill and Knowledge. First. Looks like a Cash Out deal
very little older stuff. Thats what I'm interested In.. Picked up a Lot of Primers and 1lb Or 8 lb Powders. . Living In New jersey. sales are an every week travel. the old saying Hold True. Money Talks, BS walks.
I think this trend will continue Unless something changes

pretzelxx
07-01-2016, 11:11 AM
I just don't have time or the proper setup anymore. Sad! I bought a house with a garage and can't load for a while still. But I still have all my gear

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Bent Ramrod
07-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Times really have changed all right. Used to be, somebody would make a quick decision that he would rather haul three $10 bills home in his wallet than 35 lbs of cast iron in an old Hollywood reloading press that he'd held out on for a higher price. Now, even beyond the "vintage collectible" angle, people realize that good old reloading gear doesn't wear out, and is many times stouter and good for longer and heavier service than a lot of the new stuff. So it sells for a lot more. Also, there are people that make a specialty of buying up the stuff cheap and reselling it high at gun shows or auction sites.

You used to see a Bonanza loading press sitting on a table with a $20 price on it, and a copy of Howe's Gunsmithing with a $10 price on it, next to a badly reblued and refinished 1886 Winchester that some hopeful had put a $1000 sticker on. I used to love those kind of people! Everybody's wised up now, for sure.

I imagine that Lee stuff will eventually be "vintage collectibles" too. I myself bought a Lee Loader in .410 Gauge that I hope to finance a World Cruise on one of these days. :mrgreen: My advice to the Beginner: Rent a warehouse and start socking that cheap stuff away!

mdi
07-01-2016, 12:19 PM
The "crunch" is getting beter in my area, but not nearly in good shape. Yep a lot of the "panic reloaders" are getting out of the game, just like in June and July you see a lot exercise equipment going cheap because the "resolution to get in shape" resolutions have fallen by the way...

EDG
07-01-2016, 02:05 PM
It is just like the end of the Clinton shortage where a lot of stuff became available.
But with the Hildebeast on the horizon it may cycle back the other way in November.

With the shortage of Ammo and components being somewhat over. Coupled with the new pricing in place.Many of the newer loaders are dropping Out of the game. In the past Few months I have noticed a Glut of cheap equipment @ the garage and flea markets. Mostly LEE. I guess the cheap guys who thought They could load found they had to think and develop a skill and Knowledge. First. Looks like a Cash Out deal
very little older stuff. Thats what I'm interested In.. Picked up a Lot of Primers and 1lb Or 8 lb Powders. . Living In New jersey. sales are an every week travel. the old saying Hold True. Money Talks, BS walks.
I think this trend will continue Unless something changes

MrWolf
07-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Where are you finding any gun related stuff at garage sales in this state? I have never seen any.

Bayou52
07-01-2016, 10:34 PM
I've never seen seen any firearms related stuff at any garage sale.

Plenty of old clothes to make patches out of, though......

country gent
07-01-2016, 10:46 PM
This actually started back 20 years ago. Mil surpluss ammo coming in was very good ( some of it) and cheap in 308, some of the portugese ball shot very well out to 300yds and was 119.00 a 1000 rounds in 200 rd battle packs. Most of the ammo manufacturers came out with lines for practice budget ammo. WInchester white box, federal american eagle, Black hills, and several others. Now throw in the forieghn manufacturers and even lower prices and most feel thier time handloading is more valuable to them. They dont load for the weird and wonderfull ( wild catts, true match ammo, obsolete rounds or unavailable ammo) thy shoot factory and of the shelf ammo though some do save their fired brass. I have a fellow club member when he gets a few thousand rounds He has me run it thru the case polisher for him. Its quicker and easier for them and in Todays world quick and easy is everything. I load for most pistol rounds, 3 wildcatts, rifle rounds and BPCR shilouette rifles ( this is one where the ammo isnt readily available) but then I started loading in the late 70s when if you wanted the best ammo you did it yourself. Another is some think they want to and buy some equipment and decide it isnt for them.

salpal48
07-02-2016, 08:16 AM
I found That if you see anything @a sale That looks Militaria, the trick is to ask. Most people here are very shy about putting it out. But there very happy to get the cash
Where are you finding any gun related stuff at garage sales in this state? I have never seen any.

jmorris
07-02-2016, 09:04 AM
I figure all of that will dry up pretty quick now that CA residents are going to have to put themselves into a database when buying new ammunition.

Artful
07-04-2016, 11:00 AM
I figure all of that will dry up pretty quick now that CA residents are going to have to put themselves into a database when buying new ammunition.

oh?
you think the sheeple will object?
I'd bet that they will come up a quick way to tie say a driver's lic to the purchase.
A quick swipe of the driver's lic or just entering the driver lic# and done.
So you won't even hardly notice they are tracking your consumption.

W.R.Buchanan
07-04-2016, 04:14 PM
I don't buy a whole lot of Factory ammo other than .22 LR. so I won't have this problem, but I think you'll see some pushback on these BS laws starting tomorrow. Brown signed them last Friday before 11 O'clock and then took off on vacation for Europe. As soon as he gets back, the push back will start in earnest. But I would expect to see lawsuits filed from Calguns and NRA this week.

The Bills are too broadly written and when you are talking about making literally hundreds of thousands of people into criminals just because they own something you don't like, those Lawmakers don't have the authority to do that. They think they do, but the backlash will eb big this time.

We are sick of everytime one of their nutcases goes off, they come after our guns!

Randy

edwardware
07-05-2016, 08:15 AM
Here in SC, Armslist and Craigslist are littered with used gear, yours for a mere 10% over MSRP.

Sad to say, retail on sale is usually cheaper.

DerekP Houston
07-05-2016, 08:53 AM
I don't expect to steal the items, but a well used item for 10% off new just isn't worth it to me anymore. I'd rather have the factory warranty, better return policy, and guaranteed all the parts are there. This place is completely different and you still see good deals.

I'm fairly well done with buying off Craigslist and the assorted sites, too many bad stories in my neck of the woods.

Especially considering the RCBS rebates, hornady freebies, or just getting to pry a blue press out of someone's hands.

jmorris
07-05-2016, 10:35 AM
You can say that again.

Garyshome
07-05-2016, 10:57 AM
This is what I think is the Calm before the storm. If clinton gets in well...........................

Chris C
07-05-2016, 11:21 AM
I quit worrying about shortages when I started reloading.........then casting. Now I can ignore the trends. The only trend I'm worried about is when Killary gets into office and shuts everything down. I need to go buy a lot of primers before November!!!!!!

mdi
07-05-2016, 12:10 PM
oh?
I'd bet that they will come up a quick way to tie say a driver's lic to the purchase.
Ain't so much as folks being "sheeple", but the state is run by Los Angeles, San Francisco (bay area), and Sacramento. All the politicians kowtow to the money and votes from these areas and to hell with the other, "real" people. The gun people/hunters/outdoorsmen are vastly out numbered by leftist, liberal city dwellers and the vote swings that way. I grew up in CA and left when I retired (one day after the final papers were signed). I joined several gun/hunting related organizations, I helped circulate petitions, joined the NRA, and voted, all to no avail. I was outnumbered prolly 5,000 to one. So instead of calling CA folks names, think about how soon all this BS is coming to your state. Yes, it will!

jmorris
07-06-2016, 08:39 PM
oh?

I don't have much faith in the voting majority there, they keep doing stupid things (I do feel sorry for the others though). The next step after registration is to come and get it, we all know that.

Silly thing is they think that will help when the guy that killed Kathryn Steinle was in a sanctuary city created by the same folks that think the guns are "bad". He was "safe" from being deported for the SIXTH time and had stolen a firearm legally owned from a BLM officers vehicle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Kathryn_Steinle

Heads in the sand making laws driven by emotion vs rational thought. Never a good idea and I fear they can't stop the bad habit they have developed, I only hope that the folks fleeing the State and coming to mine don't bring their crappy law ideas with them but that is pretty optimistic.

Maybe we just need more love for people that want to kill us but locking them up or killing them first seems to be more effective. Making "us" law abiding citizens softer targets is logically counter productive.

dragon813gt
07-06-2016, 08:59 PM
So instead of calling CA folks names, think about how soon all this BS is coming to your state. Yes, it will!

You won't be able to convince most people of this. They think it's an impossibility. I live in a state that's ruled by two cities. It wasn't always this way. The vast majority of the state, land mass wise, is still firmly conservative.

Pay close attention to Texas. Their cities are growing and they are becoming more blue. As cities grow they spread liberalism like it's a disease. The heart of the issue is an urban versus rural one. Once the urban votes outnumber the rural ones small areas control the state. There is currently no solution to fix this.

DerekP Houston
07-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Pay close attention to Texas. Their cities are growing and they are becoming more blue. As cities grow they spread liberalism like it's a disease. The heart of the issue is an urban versus rural one. Once the urban votes outnumber the rural ones small areas control the state. There is currently no solution to fix this.

Sadly...i live here and see it coming. We used to at least have them contained in Austin.

tazman
07-06-2016, 09:26 PM
So instead of calling CA folks names, think about how soon all this BS is coming to your state. Yes, it will!

I live in Illinois and can see it coming. The Dems in Chicago hated being forced to allow us concealed carry. Now they are looking to see how they much can follow California into restrictions on our rights.
I read a letter from one of the Dems today who was quite open about his intentions. He wasn't interested in safety. He stated he wanted to disarm the NRA and all the hunters and abolish the 2nd amendment. No doubt about what he wants.