PDA

View Full Version : Shipping C&B Revolvers

xtimberman
05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
I understand that I don't have to ship Cap and Ball revolvers from FFL-to-FFL, and that they can be shipped person-to-person. If I sell one of these to someone in another state, what is the best way to ship - USPS, UPS, FedEX?

When I deliver it to the carrier to be shipped, what exactly do I tell them is being shipped so they don't go ballistic? 99% of the employees of the various carriers know nothing about the difference between a C&B revolver and a modern cartridge revolver and I would like to avoid one of those maddening circular arguments with an anti-gun dunce. :???:

Also, are there any particular states that I need to avoid when selling these items - like CA, MD, or MA? Do I need to demand certification that the buyer can legally receive the item - >21 yo, not a felon, etc.?

I would really appreciate some advice on this from someone with experience who knows exactly how to do this to avoid the usual pitfalls of dealing with a behind-the-counter bureaucrat.

Thanks in advance! :)

xtm

Scrounger
05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Don't know about shipping rules but Priority Mail would be cheaper than the others you mention. You also must deal with the laws of the receiving state. C&R pistols cannot be sent directly to C&R License holders in California, possibly some other states. I think it is the same with Black powder pistols but I don't know for sure.

Old Ironsights
05-20-2008, 06:06 PM
IIRC C&B guns cannot be shipped to individualsin Illanoy or MI either. THey still must go to an FFL

While it would be cheaper and IIRC theoretically "legal" to ship an NFA "non-gun" like a C&B revolver via USPS, you risk 2 things: The Nitrate Sniffers and Postal Inspectors who don't like guns &/or don't know the rules.

Use UPS.

mooman76
05-20-2008, 09:17 PM
If you look in a catalog that sells C&B revolvers it will have shipping stipulations to different states and that will tell you what states you can't ship to. I also would go UPS. They ask fewer questions! Like you said most dip sticks wouldn't know the defference betwen a C&B revolver and a regular one.

freedom475
05-20-2008, 10:10 PM
One thing to always do when shipping any gun is to list the contents as "Precision Machined Parts" This was the instructions given to me from LAR Manufacturing when I was send a 50BMG to them for service. He said to send it UPS.