PDA

View Full Version : 550 gr boolit & the H&R .45-70

06-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Greetings all,

I have a question: Does anybody have experience loading a 550 gr boolit in the Buffalo Classic? If so, any load suggestions? I'm looking to start long distance target shooting on the order of 500 to 600 yards. Thanks in advance. 725

CPL Lou
06-30-2016, 11:45 PM
There's a good chance you're going to need to lengthen the throat, mine was too short to load Miha's 460 Hammer boolit as it came from the factory.
I purchased a throater from Brownell's for a reasonable price.
Also, be aware that the Buff has microgroove rifling.

CPL Lou

Skipper
06-30-2016, 11:57 PM
Here's the one I used from 4D:
http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=366&tname=rental

They waive the deposit if you use a credit card. Dip it in cutting oil and go slow...you can't put it back.
I took mine out +.240"

Dthunter
07-08-2016, 09:18 AM
My friend and I loaded up some 525 grain Postells the other day. They shot just fine. A bore riding nose will fit in the throat no problem.

rosewood
07-08-2016, 12:51 PM
A long nose may do well. The standard 405 grain Lee mold has to be seated deeper than the crimp ring and I have to be careful not to push the boolit in to far. Neck sizing didn't work because there was nothing to keep the boolit from going in. So I have to partial size the brass when using those boolits. It no doubt has a short throat in the BC. That throat reamer might just be a good idea. I bought the 405 grain GC Lyman mold and I think the profile let me seat it to the crimp groove.

Rosewood

07-08-2016, 02:29 PM
You're giving me hope. In addition to the throat issue, I was wondering about the strength of the action vis-à-vis a boolit of that weight. What loads should I start to consider? I don't really want to start out with BP, but rather one of the smokeless.

rosewood
07-09-2016, 06:55 PM
The BC will handle more than your shoulder will. It will easily handle Marlin loads and if I had to take a guess, will handle more than Marlin, but maybe not as high as the Ruger #1 or bolt gun only loads.

Boolit weight is irrelevant to the strength of the action by itself. The factor that matters is the chamber pressures generated (which is affected by the boolit weight). Heavier boolit doesn't necessarily mean higher chamber pressures if you back off on the powder. Keep an eye for pressure signs and back off if you see any and you will be fine. You stay below published Marlin loads and you will not have an issue.

Rosewood

giz189
09-05-2016, 01:25 AM
Greetings all,

I have a question: Does anybody have experience loading a 550 gr boolit in the Buffalo Classic? If so, any load suggestions? I'm looking to start long distance target shooting on the order of 500 to 600 yards. Thanks in advance. 725
And put a recoil pad of some sort on your BC.

nicholst55
09-05-2016, 01:33 AM
The BC will handle more than your shoulder will. It will easily handle Marlin loads and if I had to take a guess, will handle more than Marlin, but maybe not as high as the Ruger #1 or bolt gun only loads.

Boolit weight is irrelevant to the strength of the action by itself. The factor that matters is the chamber pressures generated (which is affected by the boolit weight). Heavier boolit doesn't necessarily mean higher chamber pressures if you back off on the powder. Keep an eye for pressure signs and back off if you see any and you will be fine. You stay below published Marlin loads and you will not have an issue.

Rosewood

H&R said that the Handi-Rifle was good for Ruger #1 loads in 45-70 (I asked). Your shoulder will give out before the action will, trust me.