PDA

View Full Version : Non-Smokey 44 special + to 44 mag powders

paraord
06-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Hey guys, kinda piggy backing off the O.K. Kids powder suggestions for my own situations. I have that short barreled Redhawk that I love and have been shooting 5 grains of titegroup under 429421. Getting a little leading at the forcing cone but the .429 is perfect for the cylinder. I'll get that sorted later I am sure.

I am shooting in the clouds. Now not that I hate it or anything but I wouldn't mind a little less "wild west". You would think I filled it with FFF swiss.

I shoot AA#9 for my hot loads in my Super Blackhawk but even that at 17.9 grains isn't top end.

I'd like to load this in between 44 spec and 44 mag, and not have a James Bond smokescreen. I'll be heading to my shooting supply store for a few other things and wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions. Alliant is not readily available here in western NY for some reason.

johnson1942
06-29-2016, 06:38 PM
try black horn 209 powder, use it in all my blackpowder loads, alot cleaner than realblack and 15 percent hotter. my 45 long colts love it.

paraord
06-29-2016, 06:45 PM
try black horn 209 powder, use it in all my blackpowder loads, alot cleaner than realblack and 15 percent hotter. my 45 long colts love it.

I'll keep that in mind when I start playing with BP loads for this. In particular I'm looking for smokeless suggestions. The titegroup is looking like BP from all the smoke I'm getting

Groo
06-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Groo here
Most of the smoke is caused by bullet lube not powder.
To reduce the powder smoke INCREASE the charge, most powders have a specific PSI range they like and smoke BELOW that.
As for the leading, also increase the charge, sounds like the gasses are blowing around the bullet in the cylinder, more pressure will "slug up" the bullet to seal
The chamber.

jcren
06-29-2016, 07:00 PM
How are the bullets lubed/coated? I have used to titegroup in 45acp and didn't notice it being Smokey.

Groo
06-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Groo here
Try Bullseye, pressure maxes out quick so lighter loads are the norm.
Also the powder burns fast [hits hard] and "Slugs up" the bullet faster.
At the higher pressure loadings it tends to be cleaner.

paraord
06-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Lubed with a LAM 2 using BAC from while label lubes. Ill load some up at 5.5,6,6.5,7,7.5, and 8 grains and see what happens. I want it to be comfortable shooting out of this short barrel but also moving along fast enough.
Groo, it makes sense. Maybe my alloy in these are just a bit too hard to slug up with this lower powder charge.

shoot-n-lead
06-29-2016, 07:32 PM
A lot of smoke comes from the lube.

That was one of the reasons that I started powder coating...almost no smoke.

paraord
06-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Lubed with a LAM 2 using BAC from while label lubes. Ill load some up at 5.5,6,6.5,7,7.5, and 8 grains and see what happens. I want it to be comfortable shooting out of this short barrel but also moving along fast enough.
Groo, it makes sense. Maybe my alloy in these are just a bit too hard to slug up with this lower powder charge.

I actually get very minimal smoke out of the sbh and the 17.9 grain load

MediumCore358
06-29-2016, 11:54 PM
Accurate #9 is a magnum powder similar to 296/H110/2400 etc. Either smoke or muzzle flash would be your outcome in a short barrel, I prefer muzzle flash lol. Use near max loads of fast to medium powders rather than slow magnum powder.

dkf
06-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Should be power coating or Hitek coating the bullets if you want minimal smoke. You could try some Carnuba Red instead of the BAC too and see if there is any change in smoke. The CR is a bit harder than the BAC.

35remington
06-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Blaming powder for smoky loads when lube is present is like blaming the dent in your car for causing the brakes to fail.

runfiverun
06-30-2016, 07:01 PM
some powders are smoky.
titegroup ain't one of them.

the smoke and the leading is a clue, fix the smoke and the leading will go away.

salvadore
07-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Most Of my cast bullets smoke, one main lines. I like the old time big lube grooves and they are a mess for smoke, but everything else being equal are pretty much lead free. B.E. may be dirty but it's the lube that makes it Smokey.

Oklahoma Rebel
07-01-2016, 09:48 PM
howdy! I agree with med.core, and I find bullseye to be hard to work with, being so sticky, I will try another powder when I run out. ( this is for my 38, still saving/waiting to get my 44 mag 7.5" bisley super Blackhawk.) also the lube I use ( home-made) does start smoking at a certain velocity, not a lot though,doesnt obscure my vision or anything. I hope you get the problem sorted out, good luck!... Travis

paraord
07-04-2016, 06:01 AM
Only reason I was thinking powder related was those same boolits overtop of AA#9 have very minimal smoke. But then again I am running considerably higher velocities with that load. I loaded up more rounds in 1/2 grain increments from 5.5-7.5 to see if there was any difference in smoke and what recoil was manageable. Seemed to get less as I increased the load. 6 looks like the ticket, not that 7.5 was bad. It was all manageable. Now if I can just focus on dialing it in, instead of just blasting through the ammo! This thing is a hoot to shoot!

Lloyd Smale
07-04-2016, 07:27 AM
cast bullets are smokey period. With your aa9 if your not already using them switch to a cci 350. It will burn it cleaner. If your looking for 1000 fps loads give power pistol or universal clays a try.