PDA

View Full Version : Starving

44man
06-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Carol will get up, make herself toast and tea, damned I hate tea. Then she might make some eggs for herself but I wind up with juice and a chew. Take my dog out and clean the pen and yard. I wind up down here with all of you. If I want a good breakfast I need to cook. She even bought a new waffle maker but I have yet to see one unless I do it.
Bought a new pressure cooker too, never seen water yet! I already had a good one but she was afraid of it. She has never grilled anything, seems to fear it.
She is going to the store now and I wrote on her pad, "dog treats." I got hollered at so I blamed my little girl, said I seen her with a pen!
Maybe we should marry dogs!

DerekP Houston
06-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Try doing steal cut oats over night in the crockpot. All you do is wake up and it is ready to eat, I can provide a recipe if you need. I learned cooking skills way back in cubscouts so it still shocks me when people can't boil water without burning it.

thegatman
06-29-2016, 09:58 AM
That is why they invented diners. OOPs got to water the flowers again.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-29-2016, 10:01 AM
Carol will get up, make herself toast and tea, damned I hate tea. Then she might make some eggs for herself but I wind up with juice and a chew. Take my dog out and clean the pen and yard. I wind up down here with all of you. If I want a good breakfast I need to cook. She even bought a new waffle maker but I have yet to see one unless I do it.
Bought a new pressure cooker too, never seen water yet! I already had a good one but she was afraid of it. She has never grilled anything, seems to fear it.

She is going to the store now and I wrote on her pad, "dog treats." I got hollered at so I blamed my little girl, said I seen her with a pen!
Maybe we should marry dogs!

Bless your heart.

44man
06-29-2016, 11:16 AM
My dog got treats anyway, still was admonished for her going into another store. She buys Nudges Grillers or chicken jerky cuts, made in the USA. Nothing ever made in China.
At times I do not get asked to go out, either not home or don't get her. She will poop in the basement. I worry about her health more so good to go, paper towels and cleaner is cheap, she is priceless.
Drives me nuts if i am gone and nobody will take her out. I put her on my work bench to put her harness on. She lifts her right leg to go through and she is never loose. Loves to ride in the 4 Runner or Polaris. Puts her left leg on my leg.
Life without a dog does not sit well with me. It has to be one with you, not chained out.

rancher1913
06-29-2016, 11:24 AM
we have to put limits on our dog when it comes to riding on the utv with us, he is a saint bernard and likes to go get in the stinky, muddy creek then jump on the seat and look at you like "what did I do", our front porch has to be hosed down weekly or the mud build up from him becomes a mess. he doesn't get store treats but does get left over steak bones quite often.

DerekP Houston
06-29-2016, 11:32 AM
back when I had my pitbull (what a baby) his favorite treat was raw beef ribs. Catch em on sale and just tossed him a frozen bone every now and then. Lasted much longer than any rawhide or chinese treat and from what i could tell was healthier for him. The 2 little dogs we have now just don't have the jaw strength for it and make a huge mess.

My dogs are guilty of the running in muddy and jumping up on the couch too, but we still love them.

44man
06-29-2016, 11:33 AM
we have to put limits on our dog when it comes to riding on the utv with us, he is a saint bernard and likes to go get in the stinky, muddy creek then jump on the seat and look at you like "what did I do", our front porch has to be hosed down weekly or the mud build up from him becomes a mess. he doesn't get store treats but does get left over steak bones quite often.
That is funny and big dogs are too. But I see the love for your monster.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-29-2016, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=44man;3693938]My dog got treats anyway, still was admonished for her going into another store. She buys Nudges Grillers or chicken jerky cuts, made in the USA. Nothing ever made in China.

I hear you there! When I moved here I had 4 dachshunds and would buy them chicken jerky treats from Costco that were made in China. They all had bloody bowel movements and 2 died before I could figure out what was going on. I threw the rest away-they were on the4th bag over about a 3 month time period-and the other 2 returned to normal in just a couple of days and are still with us.

44man
06-29-2016, 03:51 PM
i still have a problem, I cook venison and always make some with no spice for my dog. She loves the stuff but will get the runs from it. WHY does deer meat do that?

Der Gebirgsjager
06-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Because deer run fast? (sorry! ;))

MaryB
06-30-2016, 01:11 AM
It lacks the fat they need for digestion.

i still have a problem, I cook venison and always make some with no spice for my dog. She loves the stuff but will get the runs from it. WHY does deer meat do that?

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2016, 06:42 AM
let him out for his morning duty and walk outside an hour later and heres where youd usually find him
My dog got treats anyway, still was admonished for her going into another store. She buys Nudges Grillers or chicken jerky cuts, made in the USA. Nothing ever made in China.
At times I do not get asked to go out, either not home or don't get her. She will poop in the basement. I worry about her health more so good to go, paper towels and cleaner is cheap, she is priceless.
Drives me nuts if i am gone and nobody will take her out. I put her on my work bench to put her harness on. She lifts her right leg to go through and she is never loose. Loves to ride in the 4 Runner or Polaris. Puts her left leg on my leg.
Life without a dog does not sit well with me. It has to be one with you, not chained out.

44man
06-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Nothing says so much as a man with a dog. I have one complaint with God, why don't dogs live 100 years? The pain never goes away. Even alive and healthy I get tears. To be without my little girl some day scares the hell out of me.

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2016, 07:03 AM
amen. My dog showed more love in 11 years then any 10 people did. Never screwed anyone never hurt anyone. He just brought smiles to everyone around him. It should be me in that box. I'm not a 1/10 of the man that he was a dog.
Nothing says so much as a man with a dog. I have one complaint with God, why don't dogs live 100 years? The pain never goes away. Even alive and healthy I get tears. To be without my little girl some day scares the hell out of me.

bdicki
07-01-2016, 07:32 AM
I've often wished that dogs would live longer, but if you die before them, how would you know, in the last seconds of your life that someone, when your gone, would love them as much as you? Who could explain to them why you abandoned them.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/bdicki/080807-2.jpg

DerekP Houston
07-01-2016, 07:41 AM

My favorite quote is that we need that much time to learn to love everyone and dogs are born that way, they don't need as much time to do all the good they can. Ill find the proper quote once I've had coffee.

762 shooter
07-01-2016, 07:44 AM
I do all the cooking at my house. Prefer it that way. I guess it's from marrying at 33. Survival skill.

She cleans. I cook.

She feeds the dog. Dog follows me around.

Hickory
07-01-2016, 07:47 AM
3/4 of the OP is about 44 man not eating as well as he feels he should because his wife may have abandoned her duties and has been left to forage for himself.
It takes little time and effort to prepare a quick breakfast for yourself. I would suggest a small potato grated in a medium skillet, while this is cooking make toast and coffee, when the potatos are turned over crack two eggs in the skillet. Quick & easy 5-6 minutes.
How'd you get talking about dogs?

DerekP Houston
07-01-2016, 07:53 AM
3/4 of the OP is about 44 man not eating as well as he feels he should because his wife may have abandoned her duties and has been left to forage for himself.
It takes little time and effort to prepare a quick breakfast for yourself. I would suggest a small potato grated in a medium skillet, while this is cooking make toast and coffee, when the potatos are turned over crack two eggs in the skillet. Quick & easy 5-6 minutes.
How'd you get talking about dogs?

Dogs are more entertaining than trying to tell a grown man he can cook too ;). Married in late 20s here so I have plenty of practice and the couch is comfortable anyways.

44man
07-01-2016, 08:34 AM
Yep and they are smarter then us old goats. They look at you for something to eat and we cave in.
I can cook but am not one to like it. I have a million recipes and if I hand one to Carol, she says "why are you giving that to me?" The only good thing is she will want a list of what I need when she goes to the store. If I cut back garlic she will eat all I cook.
I use a grill, smoker and cast iron but she needs non stick. Gripes if I get any grease on the stove. She will clean the stove when she cooks but not if I cook so we grow to fear that monster. I am more at home with a fire then the thing that can't get dirty.
Even though I don't like to cook, I make better eating then she does.
With the exception of MaryB, most men here cook better too.
I have more work to do all day to spend time on a stove. I cut grass most of the day yesterday but Carol would not get on her new mower. Dog brought grass in the kitchen, I took hell for it. My little critter is a leaf and grass mop! I told Carol to pick her up and dust with her!

DerekP Houston
07-01-2016, 08:47 AM
the original story I was looking for :

"Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.
The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.
The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, “I know why.”
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, “People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?”
The six-year-old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”"

44man
07-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Profound! But it does not remove the loss.
I have a few enemy's that can't forgive when I did. It works with a dog and they never stop loving but people seem to hoard hate.
But I am greedy as all get out and want my dog forever. People with hate can go and walk with fire. If my dogs are not in heaven, I might not enter.

Lloyd Smale
07-02-2016, 07:33 AM
a very beautiful dog. How could you not love a face like that.
I've often wished that dogs would live longer, but if you die before them, how would you know, in the last seconds of your life that someone, when your gone, would love them as much as you? Who could explain to them why you abandoned them.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/bdicki/080807-2.jpg

bdicki
07-02-2016, 07:03 PM
a very beautiful dog. How could you not love a face like that.
He's my best friend and a bird hunting fool. He's 9 years old now and I'm dreading the day.

Shiloh
07-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Try doing steal cut oats over night in the crockpot. All you do is wake up and it is ready to eat, I can provide a recipe if you need. I learned cooking skills way back in cubscouts so it still shocks me when people can't boil water without burning it.

I found whole oat groats at the local food co-op.
Here is a recipe for doing them in your thermos.

http://www.thermoscooking.com/cooking-whole-oat-groats/

Shiloh