PDA

View Full Version : Anybody bought a Remington RM 380?

Mk42gunner
06-29-2016, 01:18 AM
So I saw a Colt 1903 (or 08, not sure which caliber it was)the other day at a tractor show; didn't buy it, then got to thinking later that I would like one,since they point so well for me. (I know I should have bought one of each when they were affordable fifteen or more years ago).

Today I decided it was too hot to be messing around with the tractor so I went to a couple of semi-local gunshops. One was closed, the other didn't have a Colt, but did have a Remington Model 51 for only seven hundred dollars (gulp). It pointed way too high for me.

After my dreams of a fairly cheap Colt were crushed, I started looking at the new smaller .380 and 9mm carry options. The Remington RM 380 didn't seem too bad; but remembering the fiasco with the R51 a few years ago I thought I better ask some questions before I spend some of my hard earned money.

On the plus side, it is small, light, I can see the sights, and it is not a striker fired pistol.

Minus side, the trigger pull is looong. Light-ish, but looong.

Any opinions?

I did hold one of the Browning miniature 1911-22's. I had capguns when I was a kid that weighed more.

Thanks,

Robert

pjames32
06-29-2016, 03:05 PM
You might find some information on the "Rohrbaugh forum". This is a copy of the Rohrbaugh.
PJ

2ndAmendmentNut
06-29-2016, 03:46 PM
No first hand experience with the Remington RM, but if I was willing to spend $700 on a micro 380 I would look for a Seecamp. The Seecamps are very high quality and about as small as you get.

Silverboolit
06-29-2016, 05:10 PM
You might check out the Baby Rock from Rock Island Arms.

GONRA
06-29-2016, 05:40 PM
GONRA sez "Remington Model 51's" in .380 ACP caliber are great shooters.
Admit they're pricey and probably impossible to get spare parts, but thats Just The Facts...

Mk42gunner
06-30-2016, 01:53 AM
The Model 51 was $700 not the RM380, it was only $389. If I was going to spend seven hundred dollars on a handgun, it would not be a little micro pocket pistol.

GONRA, I have heard they are good shooters, but it didn't fit my hands at all. It pointed roughly fifteen degrees high for me, I am sure I could learn to shoot it; but again, I am not going to carry a seven or eight hundred dollar ~100 year old pocket pistol.

I will check out the Rohrbaugh forum and the Baby Rock. I am not wedded to the idea of the RM380; I am just trying to do some research on the micro sized pocket pistols, since this is an area I have very little experience with.

Robert

FergusonTO35
06-30-2016, 12:55 PM
How about a Ruger LCP? You can get one for a little over $200.00 nowadays.

GONRA
06-30-2016, 06:01 PM
GONRA is a semiauto mechanism collector.
Decades ago, needed a real DELAYED BLOWBACK for my reference collection.
In the U.S.&A., the only DELAYED BLOWBACKS (NOT the same as RETARDED BLOWBACK!)
available is the olde Remington M51's. Ended up with 2 .380 ACP's.
(Tried to get a new Remington R51 (or wotever they called it) DELAYED BLOWBACK
but copulated up and haven't been success sofar.)