PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a couple of new presses.

cutter_spc
06-28-2016, 05:16 PM
Hey fellow loaders,

I recently up graded from a Loadmaster to a Hornet LNL AP. Absolutely love the press, especially the LNL bushings. But none of my other presses have adapters so I can't run the LNL bushings on the other two presses.

I have a Redding Boss (not the Big Boss) as my main single stage, and an RCBS Partner press as my range press.

I'm leaning towards the RCBS Summit to replace my Redding. But am open to others as long as they have die adapter and a really good way of disposal of spent primers. I know the summit doesn't have the best system, but it does keep the primer crud away from the ram by default.

Replacing my range press is the real problem. I would like for it to be light weight for easy packing back and forth, it of course needs to have a replaceable die bushing too. And I would like for it to be a C or O frame bench mounted design. I have a sturdy wooden box of sorts that I mount my range press to that can hold all my loading stuff inside and I can easily pack the whole thing with me to the range to work up loads. Looks like I'm stuck with the Lee Challenger, unless anyone else has any suggestions?

So what do you guys recommend? I'm just really looking for suggestions, pros and cons, ect..

flashhole
06-28-2016, 07:16 PM
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-breech-lock-classic-cast-press-90999.html

VHoward
06-28-2016, 07:41 PM
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-classic-cast-press-90998.html If you got this version, you would be able to put a LNL bushing adaptor in it instead of having to purchase a whole bunch of Lee's breechlock bushings also. However, The die settings will not be the same between the Hornady LNL AP and this press. They don't even match on Hornady's own single stage that uses the bushings.

cutter_spc
06-28-2016, 09:31 PM
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-classic-cast-press-90998.html If you got this version, you would be able to put a LNL bushing adaptor in it instead of having to purchase a whole bunch of Lee's breechlock bushings also. However, The die settings will not be the same between the Hornady LNL AP and this press. They don't even match on Hornady's own single stage that uses the bushings.

Understood, and I am prepared to do some machining or shimming. I do prefer a O frame like the Lee classic cast.

Anyone know of any other options I have for a light weight press? Can the Breech Lock system on the Challenger press be converted to the LNL system?

cutter_spc
06-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Well I did some searching and it looks like swapping the Lee Breech Lock to a LNL isn't feasible.

VHoward
06-28-2016, 10:57 PM
If you had a machinist friend who could machine out the breechlock lugs and thread the hole to take the threaded adaptor for the LNL bushings, you could. But that might just take the cost up to the level of the classic cast (non breechlock version).

sparky508
06-29-2016, 11:47 AM
I bought some arbor shims from amazon to make up the difference in my LNL and Summit press. Took a bit of monkeying around to find the right combination of thicknesses, but was able to get the LNL adapter to match up on both presses.

Waldog
06-29-2016, 11:52 AM
You easily convert many presses to use LNL bushings you need this:
Hornady 44099 Lock N Load Conversion Kit

Like another poster mentioned, the die settings will change from one press to another. HOWEVER, if you buy these:
Steel Arbor Shim Assortment Kit, Matte, Full Hard, AISI 1008-1010 For Chemistry, 1-1/4'' ID, 1-3/4'' OD (Pack of 19)

You can make the settings the same on both presses. Works like a champ! Both are available on Amazon.

cutter_spc
06-29-2016, 04:13 PM
If you had a machinist friend who could machine out the breechlock lugs and thread the hole to take the threaded adaptor for the LNL bushings, you could. But that might just take the cost up to the level of the classic cast (non breechlock version).

I would be willing to bet that once you machined out the Breech Lock threads you wouldn't have enough material left to thread for the insert.

cutter_spc
06-29-2016, 04:16 PM
You easily convert many presses to use LNL bushings you need this:
Hornady 44099 Lock N Load Conversion Kit

Like another poster mentioned, the die settings will change from one press to another. HOWEVER, if you buy these:
Steel Arbor Shim Assortment Kit, Matte, Full Hard, AISI 1008-1010 For Chemistry, 1-1/4'' ID, 1-3/4'' OD (Pack of 19)

You can make the settings the same on both presses. Works like a champ! Both are available on Amazon.

This was my plan the whole time, ;)

Looks like I'm stuck finding a RCBS RS-5 for my pack along range press.

jimkim
06-29-2016, 04:49 PM
This was my plan the whole time, ;)

Looks like I'm stuck finding a RCBS RS-5 for my pack along range press.
Why not get a Hornady LNL Classic for the range press? It's basically the same press, but it comes with the LNL system. Also, you might consider staying with Redding and getting a UltraMag and using the Hornady LNL conversion bushing in it.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

cutter_spc
06-29-2016, 07:23 PM
Why not get a Hornady LNL Classic for the range press? It's basically the same press, but it comes with the LNL system. Also, you might consider staying with Redding and getting a UltraMag and using the Hornady LNL conversion bushing in it.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

I believe the Hornady press is a bit heavier (somewhere around 16lbs.) than the RCBS (about 8lbs), and the RCBS is cheaper!

I have to admit that Redding makes a fine press, I love my Boss. Doesn't the Ultra Mag sit on a tilt? That is to say it's canted back a few degrees? I think that might be more press than I need, LOL. But I bet it would out last me!

Skooterr
06-30-2016, 08:06 AM
I have to admit that Redding makes a fine press, I love my Boss. Doesn't the Ultra Mag sit on a tilt? That is to say it's canted back a few degrees? I think that might be more press than I need, LOL. But I bet it would out last me![/QUOTE]

Messed up the Quote deal.
Ram looks 90 degrees to the mounting flange. I have one, I bought in the late 80s, stowed away right now, dug this pic off the net.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/dmystix/redding-ultramag-1_zpsltvm7uno.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/dmystix/media/redding-ultramag-1_zpsltvm7uno.jpg.html)

dudel
06-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Well I did some searching and it looks like swapping the Lee Breech Lock to a LNL isn't feasible.

A pox on both their houses. We finally have standardized die sizes; and two vendors come in and muck it up with incompatible "fast" loading mounts. I find aligning the Lee breech locks to be a pain. With a proper lock ring (not a Lee Oring design), I can get my dies back to the original setting in a few seconds.

blikseme300
06-30-2016, 01:15 PM

It's worse that the settings are not even the same between different AP's. I junked some hard to replace Win 307 brass because of this. :killingpc

My expensive solution to outfit my Lee range presses has been to get multiple sets of dies that stay with each press. For range loading the rifle brass is ready for powder charge, CB seating & crimp. I have 2 Lee hand presses as I seat with one and collet crimp with the other.

MT Chambers
06-30-2016, 03:19 PM
I don't know what you're gonna take to the range but happiness is spelled "CO-AX", instant die changes without any bushings, makes the most accurate ammo out there.

Taylor
06-30-2016, 04:36 PM
I saved my pennies and bought a Redding T7, that's one hoss of a press.Added the primer tube and a bullet feed die.

flashhole
06-30-2016, 07:00 PM
Take to the range system ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/three_zps6jm2rz3t.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/three_zps6jm2rz3t.jpg.html)

cutter_spc
06-30-2016, 11:12 PM
Yeah, when I go to the range to work up loads, I take sized and primed brass with me too.

I really want to use the LNL bushings with all my presses, just makes things convenient as the LNL AP is what I will be using most. I have found a few Reloader Specials for $100, and think I will go that route for my pack along range press. Now I just need to decide on good bench mounted single stage.

VHoward
07-01-2016, 12:13 AM
I have a Lee Classic Cast single stage. That is a good press. The spent primer disposal is very good on this press. I also have a Hornady Iron Press. This press is tight and accurate. It is also about 2.5 times heavier than the Lee Classic Cast. I like it better than the Lee. It comes set up for the LNL bushings even though you would still have to shim them to get them to match the LNL AP settings wise.

cutter_spc
07-01-2016, 10:13 AM
I was afraid someone would bring up the Iron, that thing looks awesome. I would love to get my hands on one.

Hows the spent primer catcher working on the Iron?

VHoward
07-01-2016, 12:29 PM
It works really well. Hasn't missed one yet.

cutter_spc
07-01-2016, 01:50 PM
That's a lot of $$$ though....

EDG
07-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Those presses are not really as self aligning as the marketing hype claims. If the lock rings are not square to the die threads you get a tilted die.

I don't know what you're gonna take to the range but happiness is spelled "CO-AX", instant die changes without any bushings, makes the most accurate ammo out there.

VHoward
07-01-2016, 02:43 PM
That's a lot of $$$ though....

It will last you through you great grand kids lives and beyond though.

MT Chambers
07-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Those presses are not really as self aligning as the marketing hype claims. If the lock rings are not square to the die threads you get a tilted die.
It's not the thread/die alignment that makes the Co-ax so precise, it's the floating shell holder. If the lock rings are not square with the die you could get a tilted die no matter what press you are using, the co-ax floating shell holder makes up for it. Shells loaded on the CO-AX showed less runout then ammo loaded on any other press in tests I read about.

VHoward
07-01-2016, 09:04 PM
And yet, many have reloaded a lot of precision ammo on many other presses without problems. I can only recommend presses I have used. I'm sure the Co Ax is a fine press. As for dies that have crooked threads? I would sure be returning them to the manufacturer as defective.

Beau Cassidy
07-01-2016, 09:46 PM
And to think I was doing it all wrong when I used to load 6mm BR short on a partner press C-clamped to the bench using custom dies.... ****... Maybe I would have shot less than .1 or .2 inch groups at 100 yards if I had used a better press or setup??? :kidding:

r1kk1
07-02-2016, 09:41 AM

Arm chair speculation.

There is no press that can square tilted dies. Switch lockrings or send the die back to wherever it came from.

Sinclair makes a steel lockring that is very close to the aluminum Forster one. I remember using the old style Bonanza lockring that had a slotted head screw. I pulled those out and used hex headed screws. Now both Sinclair and Forster lockrings have this feature. I know guys who use Hornady lockrings in theirs. The die in the COAX will float slightly and align itself to the cartridge as it enters the die. The floating shellholder jaws also help with alignment. The COAX press does not have a ram as it uses twin rods to provide alignment. The press is a hybrid C type. I use the short handle rather than the long handle it came with. I also have quick change shellplates using what a member here made and it's on YouTube.

The primer collection and priming is second to none compared to three other single stage presses I own and they have very good spent primer collection! I believe I have the 2nd generation with the taller yoke to use micrometer style dies. Dan at Inline Fabrication has other goodies to add to the press. The handle is midline to the press so you can operate it either hand. It is truly an ambidextrous press! I am a southpaw but can use either hand for loading. I may send an email to Forster to find out which competitive teams use the COAX. It is an unusual press. I have checked the priming depth against my K&M deluxe priming tool with gauge and the primers are seated 0.004" each and every time. Priming is slow on the press. I can do up to 375 H&H on the press and do some case forming on it. My only complaint is the press is not ergonomically designed. That is minor. I do have a nice concentricity gauge coming and will compare results found on this press, Champion, Ultramag and Summit.

To the OP, I only have three presses that use LNL bushing's. The Ultramag, Hollywood Senior Turret and Summit. I now have an arbor press conversion in the Summit. I know the Big Boss II, RCBS RockChucker and Ammomaster, Hornady LNL 50 BMG press and their other two current single stages, and Lee CC non breechlock version can use LNL press conversion. If you have any questions on what I own I can answer them.

Take care

r1kk1

flashhole
07-02-2016, 12:22 PM
I mounted all my presses vertical, not horizontal.

r1kk1
07-02-2016, 06:22 PM
I mounted all my presses vertical, not horizontal.

I thought. . .

"Everybody does the horizontal bop?"

sorry, couldn't resist,

r1kk1

flashhole
07-02-2016, 07:01 PM
:smile:

EDG
07-20-2016, 03:32 AM
The Coax cannot align a tilted die- that is it does no allow anything to tilt into alignment.
A normal press aligns off of the threads, not the lock ring especially if the lock ring only touches the top of the press without any force.

If the lock rings are not square with the die you could get a tilted die no matter what press you are using, the co-ax floating shell holder makes up for it. Shells loaded on the CO-AX showed less runout then ammo loaded on any other press in tests I read about.

seagiant
07-20-2016, 12:13 PM
Hi,
I used a Co-Ax press for 20 years. (very nice press!)

It was my first press and I bought it on lay-away as I was young and poor at that time!

Still, I have never bought into the hype (others disagree?) that it makes MORE accurate ammo than other presses.

ALL shellholders "float" and ALL dies SHOULD have straight threads on the OD of the die!

ALL lock rings should be flat!

Just sayin have NEVER had any problems because of crummy dies or presses???

flashhole
07-20-2016, 05:30 PM
^^^^ Have you used that dog picture before with other messages? ^^^^

I always chuckle at it. I saw something similar years ago on a National Lampoon magazine. If you don't buy this magazine we'll shoot this dog. I bought the magazine.

Artful
07-22-2016, 12:40 PM
While I love my Co-Ax I don't think it or any press will make up of inaccurately made dies.