PDA

View Full Version : anybody here an expert on the inside workings of a uberti colt opentop?

johnson1942
06-28-2016, 02:21 PM
i have one that doesnt click on 1/2 cock and has to be cocked with vigor or the cylinder wont rotate. shoots fine but has this problem. i think i know the problem and it may be the small spring next to the hammer. if someone can tell me for sure what the problem is i can order the right part and fix it my self.

Texantothecore
06-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Probably some bp residue in the hand area and hammer area. Take it apart, clean it and see if that clears it up.

44man
06-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Most likely crud or the hand spring might be broken or out of the slot. They are peened into the hand and come with a new hand.
While apart check the bolt/trigger spring too. Simple flat springs that break fast. Repro springs not as good as originals.
Also clean and lube the cylinder pin, the cylinder should spin easy. I use STP on my SA's and it works great with BP guns too. Seems to block out the goo.

Ballistics in Scotland
06-29-2016, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=44man;3693750 I use STP on my SA's and it works great with BP guns too. Seems to block out the goo.[/QUOTE]

STP should be good in the right conditions, but it is such adhesive stuff that it would hold sand or dust which might otherwise work itself out.

I agree that this sounds like dirt or the hand spring interfering with the operation of the hand - more likely dirt, as it that spring couldn't be interfering with half-cock clicking into place, and dirt could. But the hand over-tight in its slot, perhaps because of a blow burring over the edge of the slot, is also possible.

44man
06-29-2016, 09:28 AM
STP should be good in the right conditions, but it is such adhesive stuff that it would hold sand or dust which might otherwise work itself out.

I agree that this sounds like dirt or the hand spring interfering with the operation of the hand - more likely dirt, as it that spring couldn't be interfering with half-cock clicking into place, and dirt could. But the hand over-tight in its slot, perhaps because of a blow burring over the edge of the slot, is also possible.
Yeah, might be a burr.
But STP has worked for me for 63 years. Any lube can grab dirt but I don't crawl in the sand either.
What I like is that it can cushion parts but still must be cleaned out and new applied all the time. Might be the most important. As good as it is. you will overcome it.
I have shot hundreds of RB's from my Old Army without a problem or stiff cylinder. But BP needs cleaned so the lube gets renewed each time.

johnson1942
06-29-2016, 05:57 PM
i fixed it. uberti makes a good product but is careless in putting it together. all three of mine have had loose screws that had to be attended to to shoot right and work right. this one had a spring that wasnt put in the slot to hold it in right. it had never been put in or was not put in to stay. once i put the spring down in the slot ment for it, the gun works perfect. the spring is the one along side the hammer. i also read that another uberti open top owner had this same problem and he didnt know what to do to fix it. i wish i could remember where on the internet i read that as i would tell him what to do. thanks guys. johnson 1942

Ballistics in Scotland
06-30-2016, 03:59 AM
Thousands of people must be glad the replicas exist. Somebody ought to be doing it, and in many respects Uberti are among the best. But we hear of a lot in manufacture that Col. Colt wouldn't have done.

44man
06-30-2016, 08:43 AM
The spring is supposed to be peened into the hand so it can't come out. You can epoxy it in. Let it get hard and clean the excess off. Just needs a tad on a toothpick in the slot. Degrease it first.

johnson1942
06-30-2016, 09:42 AM
if it ever come out i will do as suggested. it was never put in and when i got the gun new it was with fault. it was a easy fix and went back together very easy. i forced it in tight with a pliers and should stay their. really really like my open tops and have one more i plan on getting in the future.

44man
06-30-2016, 11:22 AM
if it ever come out i will do as suggested. it was never put in and when i got the gun new it was with fault. it was a easy fix and went back together very easy. i forced it in tight with a pliers and should stay their. really really like my open tops and have one more i plan on getting in the future.
You are good to go, have fun.