PDA

View Full Version : Good enough for me!

rondog
06-28-2016, 11:13 AM
I've got a 1943 Remington M1903A3 that I've had a few years. Shot it quite a bit, but never really took it out by itself and made friends with it. Did that Sunday.

Considering I'm 60 and been nearsighted with glasses since 10, and it's a 73 year old battle rifle with iron sights (and a damn skinny front blade!), I think us old farts did OK. Beat the hell out of my 8" gong too.

100 yards. 150gr. FMJ's, M2 ball equivalent handloads.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/targets%20and%20stands/20160627_063754.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
06-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Certainly nothing to complain about there. Gee...your rifle is as old as me! Shooting old military rifles is always great fun. As some of them are mostly a handloading proposition even less than spectacular results are educational, often a challenge to hit the target at all because of sights purposely manufactured to shoot high, etc. It looks to me like you're still shooting well enough to qualify "expert" on the old military rifle course.

Scharfschuetze
06-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Nicely done Rondog. Your zero is spot on.

03 and 03A3 Springfields are fun rifles. They shoot cast boolits pretty well too.

Where do you shoot in the Denver area now?

rondog
06-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Nicely done Rondog. Your zero is spot on.

03 and 03A3 Springfields are fun rifles. They shoot cast boolits pretty well too.

Where do you shoot in the Denver area now?

Ben Lomond Gun Club. www.blgc.org

Scharfschuetze
06-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Ben Lomond Gun Club. www.blgc.org

First time I've heard of that club. Looks like a pretty good operation with a full 600 yard facility for NM shooting. I'll bet the wind across those flat lands can really blow a bullet off course if you don't stay up with it. Fortunately your 1903 has reasonably good deflection adjustment in the rear sight.

Back in the mid 80s while shooting for the military, I sometimes shot at a range north of Greeley as well as the State Association range near Bailey Colorado. The Bailey range was interesting as it was the old 10th Mountain Division's range and you could usually find old 1903 stripper clips and M1 Garand clips if you dug around a bit. It was also something like 8,000 feet above sea level. I shot a bit at the Fort Carson Army Base too.

JMax
06-28-2016, 03:31 PM
I was on the BOD when the club had to move and after for a couple of years. When we moved to Cali for job reasons the ranges reasonable well developed and has had tremendous improvement since. Nice to see the range and club are doing well.

rondog
06-28-2016, 03:36 PM
It's a great club! An awesome place, absolutely LOVE it!

But yes, it does get a lil' breezy there.....

rondog
12-08-2019, 06:49 PM
I was on the BOD when the club had to move and after for a couple of years. When we moved to Cali for job reasons the ranges reasonable well developed and has had tremendous improvement since. Nice to see the range and club are doing well.

I know this is an old thread, but you should see the place now! You'd be pleased!