PDA

View Full Version : Ever try to load 7 hogs on a trailer ????

nagantguy
06-27-2016, 10:49 PM
The hogs me and my boyhood friend and elk hunting partner bought this late winter we're ready for slaughter this weekend, out of the 5 we sold minis his and mine no one showed up to pay or help load them. Be that as it may they still needed to go to the slaughter house, we did 4 our selves last year, I they turned out great, but 7 is a tall order in 90+ degree weather.
We had a brilliant idea, we didn't feed them Sunday night so on Monday morning we dumped the feed out in the trailer the only hog that would go in was the sow he wants to keep. These hogs are right at the 250 -270 weight range, if they don't want to move they wont, it's like herding boulders. In the end we used the hose and they ran into the trailer to get away from the water! It's done and soon I'll be making my world.famous bergoo with bone in thick cut chops, vegetables, spices and secret sauce!!!

rancher1913
06-27-2016, 11:10 PM
used to load a semi with hogs, always a tough job. some of the real problem ones we stuck a bucket on their heads and pushed in backwards, don't understand it but it worked. the no show, no pay was why I got out of the farrowing business and now only raise just what we got orders and payment for, usually about 10 to 15 head a year.

shoot-n-lead
06-28-2016, 12:16 AM
Hauled hogs for hire when I was in high school. You learn how to load them...makes a lot of difference. Also, the how the loading place is set up...makes a lot of difference, also. And, don't forget...the HOTSHOT...it will make them move.

Mk42gunner
06-28-2016, 08:11 AM
Mom and my Step dad raised hogs when I was in the Navy. Mom always told me a good herd dog was even better than using a hotshot alone.

Robert

West Creek
06-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Used to load them into a pickup. Got it down to a science before bottom fell outta the market. Remember many freezing evenings standing there manning the gates while pop run'em in. A chute system and a hot shot works pretty good. Hardest part was sorting and getting the selected ones into the chute.

shoot-n-lead
06-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Mom and my Step dad raised hogs when I was in the Navy. Mom always told me a good herd dog was even better than using a hotshot alone.

Robert

There are hogs that herd dogs can't load as they have no fear of the dog...they will fight the dog. Also, herd dogs don't do so well in tighter spaces.

We always had herd dogs on our farm and they were very smart and useful.

country gent
06-28-2016, 12:46 PM
We would set the loading chute and trailer up the day before so the hogs could get "used" to it being there. Alot of times they went into truck or trailer nose to tail on their own when we opened it up. Once in the chute the hotshots work well but in an open pen it runs them everywhere. We used a plywood form to push move guide them in the direction we wanted then when in the loading chute a hit with the hot shot and they ran right up the chute. We did have a few that a bucket or bushell basket over thier head and backing them up was needed. Be prepared when the bucket goes over their head they dont like it and will back away as fast as you can move forward .

Skunk1
06-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Remembering those days. A hog can put up a fight. Just me and grandpa, couple chunks of gates and a afternoon of sorting. We did things old style. Mud/dirt, wooden panels for sorting, 400 head every year. That was always a long afternoon.

Hickory
06-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Don't get them excited, that will make a difference.

Thumbcocker
06-28-2016, 08:40 PM
250 grain galena tranquilizers?

starmac
06-29-2016, 12:01 AM
250 grain galena tranquilizers?

I haven't messed with them in years, but when I did you could not tranqualise them for something like a week before takeing them to the slaughter house.

Alvarez Kelly
06-29-2016, 12:13 AM
I haven't messed with them in years, but when I did you could not tranqualise them for something like a week before takeing them to the slaughter house.
Now THATS funny. You just glossed over shooting them in the head?

rancher1913
06-29-2016, 12:25 AM
yah cot the galena just as I was going to reply, had to read it twice, sneaky, sneaky that thumbcocker is

Rick N Bama
06-29-2016, 04:42 AM
used to load a semi with hogs, always a tough job. some of the real problem ones we stuck a bucket on their heads and pushed in backwards, don't understand it but it worked. the no show, no pay was why I got out of the farrowing business and now only raise just what we got orders and payment for, usually about 10 to 15 head a year.

You can stick a bucket on a hog's head and do anything you want to including taking away what makes a Boar a Boar.

Blackwater
06-29-2016, 01:37 PM
I really tried hard to NOT click on this thread, but .... memories and honesty got the best of me, I guess. Yeah, I've tried it, and it's every bit as you describe it. Once in a while, they'll go right in like you want them to, but ..... those other times? Sheesh! When you look in the dictionary by the word "trial," there's a picture of a couple of guys trying to load some hawgs that are determined to NOT be loaded up! There's no failure to understand THAT definition!

And cattle can be even worse! I once drove up to a friend's boat business, and he was storming out with a concerned look on his face. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Those darn cows are out again and on the highway! You want to help?" Like a dummy, I said, "Sure!" Over 3 hours later, in near 100 degree heat and humidity verging towards 100%, we FINALLY got those darned heifers back in the fence and got the fence patched up well enough to contain them .... for a while ..... until next time. The things my friend Billy had to say about his cattle on the way back to close up the boat shop were NOT complimentary, and we were both drenched to the core. I'm just glad I didn't have my good suit on!

Accountants are good at adding up and subtracting their values, and the costs to feed them, etc., but they'll NEVER understand cattle unless and until they get out and have to DEAL with the ornery critters! If they didn't taste so good, I'd vote to make them extinct! And all those romantic views of the cowboys who loved cattle so, are 110% the work of writers! They didn't love the cattle any more than I and my friend Billy did! They loved the life, out in the wide open, breathing real fresh air, among the living things that cover our planet so lavishly, etc., etc. But NO man can love cattle who actually WORKS with them! Period! He may love what they bring him, but love cattle themselves? HAR! Get REAL!!!!

Well, OK .... they CAN be nice to watch in a pastoral picture. Makes me hungry for steak or a burger! Pigs can't even evoke any respect in a painting! 'Nuff said! But they make me think of bacon, ham, sausage .... there are NO one-sided coins in our world, I guess?

country gent
06-29-2016, 01:46 PM
My Brother finishes out 800 - 1000 hogs every 3-4 months in his barn. Its set up for this so loading is easier simply for this reason. When each pens gate is opened it closes the ailse off so they can only go one way. But he had one that found out it could jump the 3 foot tall pen dividers walls. Looked like a little race horse running around that barn. LOL. The big trick is keeping them calm and only giving them one direction to go. LOL

Thumbcocker
06-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Many years ago a neighbor of my grandparents had cattle get out. He and the neighbors got all of them back except for a steer they chased across fields and through fence rows for miles. As he told the story through steer would peek through the brush at them and run some more.

When I asked how he finally caught the steer he said " I waited till he peeked through the brush and shot him in the head with a .30-06. Loaded him in the horse trailer and had him ground into hamburger. " I asked if hE had trouble keeping the steer in after that. He said " nope he stayed right in the freezer all winter. " From then on I always called him the great animal trainer and asked if he had heard about a job from Barnam and Bailey yet.