PDA

View Full Version : new bullet designs for PC...

Idaho Sharpshooter
06-27-2016, 05:45 PM
I have done some coating, using my old grooved boolit moulds. I believe PC is the way to go.

The notion keeps coming back, is it time to rethink cast designs? I have two notions I would like to talk about.

1. Is there someone here that has the equipment to take one of my known accuracy two-cavity moulds and bore one cavity to cast a smooth sided boolit for comparison purposes?
It is my contention that that is the only way to make valid comparisons.

2. Is anyone working with j-word boolits to make a similar mould?
For instance, take the 190gr Sierra MK boat tail and copy it?
Would PC take care of the issue with leading we deal with?

thanks to all who contribute,

Rich

runfiverun
06-27-2016, 06:00 PM
you could just order some slick sided molds.
there are two places I know about that make them and I don't P/C.
I doubt the slick molds will shoot any different than the not slick ones.

popper
06-27-2016, 07:41 PM
I have grooved and grooveless mould of the same boolit for 308W (2700 from a 1:10 24", no leading), limited by my shooting capabilities - PCd, no difference. That said, if the boolit design is bad for cast it won't get any better without grooves. - i.e. IMHO BT cast doesn't work very well nor do very long ogive designs. Boolits with really big and deep grooves weaken the boolit excessively (no lube in the groove to give hydraulic strength). Then you have the problem of really designing an accurate boolit, removing the grooves changes CG & CP.

Moonie
06-28-2016, 03:27 PM
I just got a beautiful 5 cavity 147gr .356 slick sided mold from accurate molds. I've just moved into a new house a week ago and haven't built my new reloading area, can't wait to cast and PC some of those.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=35-147Y-D.png

bangerjim
06-28-2016, 07:32 PM
I have spent (actualy wasted) money on NLG design molds for PC. I can see absolutely ZERO benfit. Just coat and shoot all the standard and micro groove boolits you have and save your money for other things!

As popper said.........boolit DESIGN is the key, not the lack of grease grooves. PC is NOT a cure-all for ill-fitting or poor designed boolits.

banger