PDA

View Full Version : Need

Scrounger
05-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Many handguns today come from the factory in a nice looking plastic box, pretty much 'inletted' for that gun. Plastic is relatively hard and over and above any possibility of the plastic causing a 'wear' spot on the gun finish, I have a psychological aversion to storing a gun within a hard surface for any length of time. Is there anything in a spray can that would be acceptable to spray these gun cases to get a nice looking and soft surface, like flocking?

JSnover
05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't know if you'll find a one-step spray coating, but I'm sure you could use spray adhesive to line the case with whatever cloth you can find.... hand towels, maybe? Anything thin would allow the glue to soak through and create a hard spot.

Scrounger
05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
That's about what I thought. I'm trying to remember how S&W did it in the presentation cases they used to use...

floodgate
05-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Scrounger:

The S&W presentation boxes I remember owning / seeing back in the '60's and '70's appeared to use that old spray-on "flocking" (remember flocked auto dashboards and window trim from that era?) over a wooden or formed plastic cutout insert. I guess the stuff is still available somewhere - J. C. Whitney???

floodgate

Scrounger
05-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Cheap wins again! WalMart has some nice little flannel cloths in colors I like. Lay the cloth over the bottom of the case, place the gun in it, fold the cloth down, and close the top. Trim as necessary. I looked at 1/4" adhesive backed foam but couldn't find a good source for it. Thanks for the ideas.

Morgan Astorbilt
05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
My S&W Walnut "Presentation" cases, had some flocking sprayed or somehow attached to a piece of cheap, thin, vacuum formed plastic that was prone to crack. A real shame, as the boxes thenselves were made pretty nicely.
Morgan

testhop
05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
what about pool table felt 2 or 3 layers it is what i use of course it helps if you have a pool
table recover live next door he sprays a glue betweenlayers

carpetman
05-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Scrounger----Flocking? I see you are still preoccupied with sheep.

Scrounger
05-20-2008, 07:02 PM
what about pool table felt 2 or 3 layers it is what i use of course it helps if you have a pool
table recover live next door he sprays a glue betweenlayers

Good idea.

Taylor
05-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Walmart has 12x12 inch sheets of stick on felt,trim to fit. I have used it on several projects,works quite well.

Bad Water Bill
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Carpetman The last I heard from Scrounger and sheep he was looking for snacks for his avitar :drinks:

badgeredd
05-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Scrounger,

I relined an OLD S&W presentation box with felt I found in a sewing center store. The core inside was a styrofoam like material. The pieces were remnants and I had three large enough to do the entire box. A word of caution though; I found out that some of your adhesives let off a acidic gas for up to 6 months while they continue to cure. Plays hell with a blued gun! I'll bet you figured out how I know! Fortunately the firearm wasn't pristine and was going to be refinished anyway. I just kinda got to it sooner than I had anticipated. BTW I paid a whole $1.00 US money for it about 10 years ago. I suspect you can find a similar deal in the ladies supplies for sewing in most stores that have such things. Also sometimes felt can be had for a decent price in the craft stores. Happy hunting.

Shotgun Luckey
06-27-2008, 06:07 PM
You can but spray on contact cement and use on any material you find to your liking at the fabric store.

Wayne Smith
06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
I haven't checked lately but you used to be able to get flocking and flocking guns (pump spray type) from woodworking outlets. I'd try Woodcraft and the like. I know Woodcraft used to have them.

pumpguy
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=288