PDA

View Full Version : Lathe oil

abunaitoo
06-27-2016, 05:53 AM
Old Craftsman 12x36.
Changed the belts, cleaned all the rock hard grease oil off of it.
What kind of oil do you use in the cups????
Recommended oil is 20wt non-detergent.
Another place suggested turbine oil.
Can't find it here.

Southern Son
06-27-2016, 06:04 AM
Guy who sold me my lathe said hydraulic oil. Mine is a Chinese lathe and I bought it new. When I bought it I had heard some horror stories of the gear boxes being filled with left over sand from the casting process, so I swapped out the oil as soon as I got it. Got some sand but not much, but replaced the oil with hydraulic oil. I have not had any grief.

Ballistics in Scotland
06-27-2016, 06:29 AM
I don't know about hydraulic oil. Some may be a good lubricant, but it doesn't really have to be, so some may not. I don't think you can go wrong with car gear oil, which comes without additives you don't need in this application.

akajun
06-27-2016, 09:20 AM
iso 68 tractor gearbox oil ie hydraulic/circulating oil, will do you just fine.
on the ways use vactra #2.

DougGuy
06-27-2016, 09:51 AM
iso 68 tractor gearbox oil ie hydraulic/circulating oil, will do you just fine.
on the ways use vactra #2.

This guy sells lathe oils in small containers and will mix and match for you. I got 16oz of Type C medium/heavy oil for gears and general purpose around my lathe, and 16oz. of the Vactra way oil which works really well for ways and cross slides.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTH-BEND-LATHE-RECOMMENDED-A-B-and-C-LATHE-OILS-/321146352222?hash=item4ac5d0725e:m:m6ow4421HIFouf5 _rHXxr3g

You could also ask him about 8oz. bottles which is what I use, I like the small tips and caps. A single 8 oz bottle of each oil would last you a few years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABC-Lite-INTERNATIONAL-SHIPPING-PACKET-South-Bend-Lathe-Recommended-Oils-/221943866772?hash=item33ace2a594:g:oOMAAOSwkZhWS7I P

fg-machine
06-27-2016, 10:01 AM
If you order before August when enco becomes Msc And tare advantage of the free shipping on orders over $49
And any other offers going on you can get a gallon of circulating and way oil delivered to your door for under $30
plus its great excuse to get a goody or two to make it up to the free shipping price

M-Tecs
06-27-2016, 10:05 AM
I've always used Mobil Velocite http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Velocite_Oil_Numbered.aspx

abunaitoo
06-27-2016, 09:46 PM
I've always used Mobil Velocite http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Velocite_Oil_Numbered.aspx

What number do you use????

John Taylor
06-28-2016, 12:45 AM
WAY oil. I use it on the lathe and mill. It's sort of like chain saw bar oil.

Frank46
06-28-2016, 12:57 AM
My Jet lathe takes mobil 2190 T ( for turbine) medium. Local mobil dealer only had it in 5 gallon pails so it looks like I have enough to last. The 2190 comes in light, medium and heavy. It was all we used for steam turbine driven pumps and the steam turbines were all old when I started working the tank farm in '67. They were still there in '96 when I retired and for all I know they are still there. We used the 2190 light. Same stuff we used on my ship which was a post WWII aircraft carrier. Check the enco website for listings on 2190 and the same dealer sold me a pail of way oil. I saved the really big jugs of hand cleaner and flushed them out good and that is what I use to top off the headstock gears. Frank

labradigger1
06-28-2016, 05:17 AM
Do a search on "practical machinist website", lots of info there

EDG
07-04-2016, 04:00 PM
just look up the oils used for most machine tools that are sold by Mobil.
When you find that you don't want to buy it by the gallon just get a quart of 20wt non-detergent because you are not going to use that machine 22 hours a day like an industrial machine.

bangerjim
07-04-2016, 07:33 PM
20 weight straight weightND oil! Period. Mabe a little SPT in it too? I do. What I have used on all my machine tools for the past 45 years. For ways, I use that + rub on Mystick #2 grease....get it at WalMArt....slickest bestest grease you can find for anything!

Hydraulic oil can be aggressive and is NOT a good lube.

dkf
07-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Just buy a gallon of Mobil Vactra 2 oil, it is a 20wt oil. You can use it on the ways and all the lubrication points on the lathe. All my lathes and mills get Vactra 2, the headstocks get DTE Heavy/Medium unless they spec something different.

Newboy
07-04-2016, 08:42 PM
If you just want pure oil, with no additives, get a quart of vacuum pump oil from an auto supply, or GRAINGER. Also, it will not thicken over time.

crazybushman
07-04-2016, 10:53 PM
i use what the local machine shop does on their lathes , hydraulic 48 ( 46 ? ) oil , same stuff i use in the head stock too . i buy it from the local hydraulic place ( they say theyre not meant to sell small lots but they do to me ) for 10 dollars a gallon or so , you should be able to get it cheaper than that in the US . just chipped my damn lathe ways last week , the foot part on the tailstock wasnt aligned when i tighten it up and it chipped a fingernail size piece from each side of the inside of the ways , i cant stand looking at it so il fill the cracks with some epoxy later . its like that cringing moment when you here someone drop a crescent or chuck wrench on the ways

W.R.Buchanan
07-10-2016, 01:52 PM
Been doin' this for a while guys... The absolute best Machine Lubricating Oil is Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil." I have ran all my machines and air compressors on this stuff for over 30 years now. It has a some what sticky consistency which allows it to stay on the job real well, unlike most oils that run off or dry out. This stuff stays on guide ways and lubricates spindle bearings better than anything I've ever seen. Used Mobil Vactra Oil for a while, the Amsoil is far superior! It works on guns too.

Also,,, and I can't stress this enough, if you run this stuff in your Air Compressor Pump it will coat the inside of the tank and will stop rust thru. Most of you have drained and Air Comp tank more than once. You ALWAYS get rusty water out of it don't you.

If you use the Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" in the pump this will stop happening quickly. You will get what looks like white soapy water with some of the Red Oil mixed in,,, out of it .

I have posted this HOT TIP several times here, and I wouldn't do it again if it wasn't the absolute best stuff out there.

I use this stuff for everything that gets lubricated in my shop and it is by far the best machine lubricating oil there is by a factor of 10!

Once again "Amsoil 20-50 Racing Oil." Accept no substitutes!

You can get it from any local Amsoil Dealer (they are everywhere) and 1 or 2 quarts will last you for the rest of your lives.

I am not a dealer but this outfit does make and sell the good stuff.

Randy

seagiant
07-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Hi,
Randy I followed your lead on this and now use Amsoil in everything.....

Even the "Beast"!!!

W.R.Buchanan
07-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Greg: now you did get the 20-50 "Racing Oil," Right? It is red like tranny fluid.

Randy

Char-Gar
07-10-2016, 05:04 PM
On my lathe I use;

Mobile Velocite Oil No. 10 Spindle for all lubrication points and Mobil Vactra No 2 Way Oil on the ways.

Kilroy08
07-12-2016, 01:31 AM
On my lathe I use;

Mobile Velocite Oil No. 10 Spindle for all lubrication points and Mobil Vactra No 2 Way Oil on the ways.

That was going to be my recommendation as well. It keeps my little South Bend 9A chugging along nice and happy.

seagiant
07-12-2016, 06:22 AM
Greg: now you did get the 20-50 "Racing Oil," Right? It is red like tranny fluid.

Randy

Hi,
Yes, of course, for the bike I use what is recommended! (wet clutch!)

For the air compressor and the machinery....racing oil!

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Been doin' this for a while guys... The absolute best Machine Lubricating Oil is Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil."
...SNIP
Randy,
could you be a bit more specific? there seems be be a few different options from Amsoil.

AMSOIL Z-ROD® 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil (https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/z-rod-20w-50-synthetic-motor-oil/)

AMSOIL DOMINATOR® 15W-50 Racing Oil (http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/racing/dominator-15w-50-racing-oil/)

AMSOIL Premium Protection 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil (https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/premium-protection-20w-50-synthetic-motor-oil/)

AMSOIL 20W-50 Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil (https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/20w-50-advanced-synthetic-motorcycle-oil/)

and the Amsoil "Series 2000" synthetic 20w50 racing oil, I wasn't able to find out too much about it, except for this PDF
http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/g1213TRO.pdf

I do like Amsoil and I have the Dominator 2 cycle racing oil...I use on sprue plates.
thanks,
Jon

Chill Wills
07-12-2016, 04:11 PM
"I do like Amsoil and I have the Dominator 2 cycle racing oil...I use on sprue plates.
thanks,
Jon"
sorry for the off topic... you don't have to answer.
I have to admit I would not know what to do with oil on sprue plates. What problem does that fix or maybe what kind of mould set-up that I do not have needs lube?

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-12-2016, 06:57 PM
"I do like Amsoil and I have the Dominator 2 cycle racing oil...I use on sprue plates.
thanks,
Jon"
sorry for the off topic... you don't have to answer.
I have to admit I would not know what to do with oil on sprue plates. What problem does that fix or maybe what kind of mould set-up that I do not have needs lube?
It prevents lead alloy from smearing and building up on the sprue plate and/or the top of the mold, on aluminum molds lead alloy build up can cause galling.
How to apply it...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?137982-Mould-Lube-Instructions-(works-with-BullPlate-too)

Chill Wills
07-12-2016, 08:46 PM
OK - thank you. I have never tried oil products inside the mold (intentionally) but heard and forgotten about virtues of 2-cycle oil. The only oil I have gotten in the cavities, by mistake, made wrinkly sound like a complement.

Good info to have in the bag of tricks! ......and Sorry - OT over.

woodsxdragon
07-13-2016, 10:04 PM
I went to rural king and bought their brand of non detergent oil.

Buckshot
07-14-2016, 02:41 AM
.............Two kinds of oil used with a manual lathe. Vactra #3 goes on the ways, and 20wt spindle oil goes on the GC box, and headstock gear spindles. Pretty simple. Oil it before each use, or every 6 hours. WHichever comes first.

...............Buckshot

W.R.Buchanan
07-14-2016, 05:29 PM
Here's some pics of the oil I use. I've had this bottle for a while so they may have something new out now. I also include a pic of the tank being drained and you can see the white liquid coming out. All the red stuff in the pail is Amsoil 20-50 Racing Oil which floats to the top,,,,not rust!

This stuff sticks to everything and all the oil that get blown by the compressor rings is what ends up coating the inside of the tank, some obviously makes it out the bottom of the tank as well,,, which is a good thing!

Randy

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-14-2016, 08:58 PM
Here's some pics of the oil I use.
Randy, so it's the series 2000. OK thanks.
Jon

abunaitoo
07-16-2016, 02:34 AM
Just can't find any 20wt non detergent oil here.
Even 30wt is a little hard to find.
I've decided to try 0w-20 synthetic automotive oil.
We got sunshine all year long, but don't have 20wt non detergent oil.

MediumCore358
07-16-2016, 03:10 AM
How about you use the recommended 20wt non detergent maybe 30wt as recommended. I've seen many high HP electric motors running 30wt non detergent around the clock in heavy industry.

MediumCore358
07-16-2016, 03:16 AM
The non-detergent is basically to minimize foaming so gears under heavy load have no (minimal) air bubbles on contact surface that would increase wear and shearing force .Missed your last post. 0-20w still has detergent...

fg-machine
07-16-2016, 05:21 AM
Lathe circulating oil is non detergent because it does not hold metal particals and other debris in suspension . Because the oil is unfiltered it needs too be able to drop the material out of circulation to keep from continually running it threw the bearings and gears

You use an oil with a detergent in filtered applications to hold metal particals and such debri in suspension to be removed by the filter

it has nothing to do with foaming ... anti foam agents are a completely differant additive

M-Tecs
07-16-2016, 12:38 PM
fg-machine has it correct. MSC ships everywhere http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/?searchterm=spindle+oil&hdrsrh=true

abunaitoo
07-22-2016, 06:16 PM
This is an old Craftsman lathe.
The bearing oiling system is a drip/loss system.
No oil cup or bath.
Oil drips down to the bearing to keep it lubed.
Have to add oil everytime the lathe is used.
I have a little pan to catch the oil. I don't reuse it in the lathe.
Kind of a strange system, but it's been working since it was made in around 1943.
Isn't detergent oil also made to hold moisture????

joelpend
08-13-2016, 09:01 PM
How often should one change the oil in the lathe? I have a Clausing Colchester that has been in my possession for 20 years and I have yet to change the oil. It gets used on average 8-10 hrs/week.

ProfGAB101
08-13-2016, 10:02 PM
Don't be fooled by people recommending motor oils - the working surfaces of your lathe will never reach 150° F and if it does then you have more serious problems!

Vactra #2 is the gold standard - I also use Vactra #1 on my manual machine ways in winter when the shop is only 44-62° F.

MSCdirect.com does ship everywhere - However for you minimal needs I would grab a box of donuts and visit a local Machine shop and beg to buy a quart. (bring your own bottle as most shops buy in 5 gal buckets or 55gal drums.)

Shell oil makes an equivelant if you like supporting the Saudi's.

Oil does not "wear out" it usually has to be changed when the level of contaminants gets in the way of it lubricating properties. Oil in higher temp environments will cook off certain additives and some of the lighter aromatic elements of the blend over time. Most oils which work below 150° F in an enclosed environment will outlast the lifespan of there owners. I know of a Cincinnati Mill made in 1917 that is still running the original factory installed oil, still clean and nearly clear. (It is believed that the oil in that machine may be whale blubber oil.)

Clark
08-14-2016, 11:30 PM
I put Mobil DTE 24 Light hydraulic oil in my 12x36 Precision Mathews lathe.
I don't know anything about oil and blindly follow what I read.
Bob's your oil guy website has convinced me I will never know enough about oil.

And then I am way out in the sagebrush, a dull 1/2" drill is not cutting metal, and some cowboy pours Magic Marvel Mystery oil on it.... and it starts cutting.

quail4jake
08-15-2016, 04:22 PM
My 1958 South Bend manual oil recommendations translate to Mobil Velocite No. 6 in oil cups, spindle etc and Mobil Vactra No. 2 on the ways.

Red Cent
08-15-2016, 07:28 PM
My South Bend Volume I manual says to use lard oil.