PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating Boolits

Gliden07
06-27-2016, 12:21 AM
Been wanting to try this have looked online You-Tube and have a question, Saw a guy on there called Elvis-Ammo he was preheating his Boolits for a few minutes then shaking them in a Cool-Whip container similar to the Alox lube method. Has anyone tried this??

bangerjim
06-27-2016, 12:37 AM
Waste of time for me. But I have VERY low humidity. You may need to depending on your RH.....seems to help a little for those in VERY wet climates.

Just try it without. Nothing to loose!

I have no use for youtube videos! Forget them......read the stickies on here.....the best advise you can get!@!@!@!@!

If you are just asking about BBDT, then yes it does work and very well!
But pre-heating boolits is NOT part of the standard proceedure most of the many thousands of us use!

bangerjim

ryokox3
06-27-2016, 12:42 AM
Yes, this is correct. I feel there are 2 main methods of powder coating. ES or electrostatic uses a standard pc spray gun to coat the boolits. The other is the ASBBDT or BBDT. The name means AirSoft BB Dry Tumble. Basically you start with a container that has a #5 recyclable symbol on it (like a cool whip bowl or most plastic containers like rubbermade/ gladware you find at the store.) That #5 symbol basically means the container will generate the static to make the powder stick. Also a warm boolit promotes adhesion. You may or may not need it depending on your humidity. I put my boolits on top of the oven while it preheats inside a tinfoil square container like a bread pan. The first batch are not heated but the next ones are. I do see a difference between the two.

If you look at the stickies you will find more than enough info on all methods.

dryflash3
06-27-2016, 12:58 AM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010910_zpsbkdyxwtn.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Powder%20Coat/P1010910_zpsbkdyxwtn.jpg.html)

I read the stickies and had success from the start.

I no longer use that scoop, it's too small.

Loudy13
06-27-2016, 09:34 AM
I Have a metal pan that I keep on top of my toaster oven and I keep it full of what I am about to coat then dump it from there into my containers with ASBB's. you don't have to do it but the top of the oven is already warm and when I started it was about 40 degrees in my garage so it has just become part of the process. If there was actually anymore work involved it wouldn't happen.

fredj338
06-27-2016, 06:28 PM
I always get frustrated with Boobtube vids. You assume a lot is correct & sometimes it's just not. The instructions given here are pretty simple. Read the stickies, follow directions given, easy & good results with the first bunch. The only thing I do diff with shake & bake is I use wire drawer organizers as trays instead of foil or such. They work fine, bullets stick a tiny bit but pop right off. Baking time & oven temp are critical.