PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Drum, More Is Revealed

JohnH
06-25-2016, 10:21 PM
A couple months back I posted a thread about the Auto Drum where I stated that increasing the chamfer on the neck expanding plug helped to alleviate a chatter the measure goes through as the plug enters the case. But over time I continued to experience this chatter and the measure was inconsistent throwing charges of Red Dot between 4 and 6 grains. As I grappled with this problem, I was also grappling with a problem of a small lead chip being raised at the case mouth during seating/crimping. I decided to chamfer the case mouth to address the lead chip, and lo and behold the chatter of the measure ceased too. Normally I do not chamfer pistol cases, never really even thought about it as it never gave me any trouble until I began loading on a Lee Load Master. I had noticed a lead chip in past on cartridges loaded on my single stage press but it was intermittent and didn't seem to affect accuracy or leading negatively. But on the Load Master I was seeing it on every case. I figured it was because I could not guide each bullet with my fingers into the die as I would on my single stage. It was this lead chip which made me inspect the condition of the inside of the case mouth. I love it. Two problems solved at once. With over 1000 rounds loaded after chamfering the case mouths both the lead chip and the chatter of the measure are gone and it measures consistently with every power I use, not just a select few fine grained powders.

The cases which gave the most trouble in this matter were 44 Magnum, maker didn't matter. The least toublesome were 38 Special, 44 Special and 45 ACP, again maker didn't matter. 45 Colt cases were hit and miss, some minor offenders some as bad a the 44 Magnum cases. All once fired cases show some amount of burr on the inside of the case mouth, I have not inspected any unfired cases for this condition as yet.

As to the Load Master, I've no complaints. I do all my decapping and priming off press and I believe this goes a long way to alleviating problems associated wit the press and it also makes change overs easy and quick.

flashhole
06-26-2016, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the info, a pic would be nice.

DerekP Houston
06-26-2016, 08:28 AM
As to the Load Master, I've no complaints. I do all my decapping and priming off press and I believe this goes a long way to alleviating problems associated wit the press and it also makes change overs easy and quick.

As long as you don't mind priming off the press, the lee progressives seem to work well. I would have never thought to chamfer pistol cases either.

mozeppa
06-26-2016, 08:42 AM
i and my wife chamfered all our pistol brass.....near 100,000

took many days.

noylj
06-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Uhh, that used to be about step 1 in all loading manuals.
It goes along with whining about brass flakes, chips, and such around the expander and crimp dies.
For straight wall cases, you do it once.

dudel
06-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Uhh, that used to be about step 1 in all loading manuals.
It goes along with whining about brass flakes, chips, and such around the expander and crimp dies.
For straight wall cases, you do it once.

Bingo. If you're not getting consistent flares, and your brass is getting caught on your expander, and you're snagging boolits during seating, take a good look at your case prep.

DerekP Houston
06-26-2016, 10:02 AM
I have more issues with the occasional 357 mag case in my 38 batches or 380 cases stuck inside larger cases. 38 special is my favorite for a reason, seems like just about any old case and boolits will work.