PDA

View Full Version : New project, pacific 360

Skunk1
06-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Garage sale find. Some interesting bubba work here. Behave my taken apart but need to find a new tube holder housing, and see if I can't find a new primer feed. Looks like they used a cut off shell casing and some spring steel. It actually works. Don't like the JB weld, hose clamp, and fuel line hose contraption. Probably be some hard to find parts but the search is on.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160625/62ee7fa0ae213a0e12c058e88d58e392.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160625/de70ee1c6b3b98061e4a623a41efafca.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160625/fd2bce790941d3e8607451f1e238d533.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seagiant
06-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Hi,
Looks like a nice project!

I will give you my experience from my work on a Bair 600, which has the same type of slanted primer feed set up.

I don't think it was a good idea and the primer gate/ primer drop mechanism was weak to begin with!

(You can see what the PO went through to try to keep it working!!!)

The good news is that you can hand feed the primer no problem!

Before you think negatively about this, remember you are also feeding the empty hull and the wad anyway!

I am actually now changing over my Texan Progressives to manual as I demand 100% reliability with primer feeds and the only way to get that is manually from what I can see!

Others, no doubt would/will disagree, but so be it!

Just sayin, as a 30 something year experienced Reloader, I think TOO MUCH is made of SPEED, and not enough to accuracy and conveniance!!!

Here is a pic of ONE of my DL/Pacific 300's!

It also uses a manual primer feed and is a pleasure to use!

Skunk1
06-25-2016, 06:37 PM
Hi,
Looks like a nice project!

I will give you my experience from my work on a Bair 600, which has the same type of slanted primer feed set up.

I don't think it was a good idea and the primer gate/ primer drop mechanism was weak to begin with!

(You can see what the PO went through to try to keep it working!!!)

The good news is that you can hand feed the primer no problem!

Before you think negatively about this, remember you are also feeding the empty hull and the wad anyway!

I am actually now changing over my Texan Progressives to manual as I demand 100% reliability with primer feeds and the only way to get that is manually from what I can see!

Others, no doubt would/will disagree, but so be it!

Just sayin, as a 30 something year experienced Reloader, I think TOO MUCH is made of SPEED, and not enough to accuracy and conveniance!!!

I have brought to life an old 600. That's my primary 12 ga press. Same creature minus the base and how the wad guide moves. I do like the swing back wad guide of the 600 better. I also like how the spent primer cup is held in with a rod through the cup handle on the 360. Have just noticed the chute is missing that feeds the spent primer to the cup. Gonna be some hard to find parts.

seagiant
06-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Hi,
I'm just sayin, no auto primer feed is not the end of the World!

A LOT of these old ragged out shotshell presses, can be rebuilt and have another 50 or more years of life left in them!

Skunk1
06-25-2016, 07:07 PM
The auto primer feed works, just looks bad. I have all the parts off my 600 (IF) I need something machined. I really don't have any problems on my 600 with the primer feed. Had a Dillon 900 and decided I didn't need that amount of press. Good press, don't get me wrong, but for my needs that Bair 600 is the best old press for me.

MarkP
06-25-2016, 07:27 PM
I have attached a picture of the 266 primer drop mechanism & 366 drop tube.
266:The primer escapement spring is actuated by a small pin in the 1/4" rod the spring moves forward when charge by is moved forward, see formed part connected to rear of charge bar and nuts on 1/4" rod. Primer drops from a column of primers while dropping powder. This works well once it is properly adjusted.

366: Brass primer tube has a plastic part that expands to drop a primer very simple and reliable. Could probably convert to use this plastic part.

seagiant
06-25-2016, 09:21 PM
The auto primer feed works, just looks bad. I have all the parts off my 600 (IF) I need something machined. I really don't have any problems on my 600 with the primer feed. Had a Dillon 900 and decided I didn't need that amount of press. Good press, don't get me wrong, but for my needs that Bair 600 is the best old press for me.

Hi,
Didn't care for the Bair 600, but the primer feed was busted and really to fraigle to repair.

It is now under my bench to pull parts off of for different projects.

You might want to try a Texan Progressive, they are really built like a Russian T-34 Tank!

A lot of nice old SHOTSHELL presses out there to play with without bustin the bank!

Oh yea, I had the Mercedez Benz of loaders the Spolar Gold, and sold it too!!!

Ole Joe Clarke
06-25-2016, 09:38 PM
I have a parts list for a Pacific 266 if a copy would help. Let me know it.

Skunk1
06-25-2016, 09:54 PM
The 266 is a different press than the Bair 600/Pacific 350/360/366. Have had a few 266's though. Nice machines. Actually I think I still have a manual to one. The primer system on the Bair or Pacific was fragile. I used a copy of the original and made one out of aluminum to replace the plastic. Haven't had any problems since. Might have to find someone to machine a smooth product than mine. Don't have all the fancy equipment to make a nice smooth one but made one that works and that's better than nothing.

salpal48
06-30-2016, 08:54 PM
Yes, Bubbasized again. There should be a separate Topic for them