PDA

View Full Version : something fishy here!!!!

mainiac
05-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Just bought a brand new rcbs 200 mold. Gas checks fit on perfect,with a snug snap. After ruinning them threw a .358 sizer, you can spin the check on the shank. You cant pop them off, but they aint really crimped on either. Ever run into this? Checks are hornady. they measure .3605 before they go into the die, and .3575 after. How can they be turned? thanks

HeavyMetal
05-19-2008, 10:38 PM
I've experienced this before and I "think" what has happened is the gas check has "crimped" on so hard that the check has reduced the area under that portion of the check that has the crimp! I'll call this "spring back" for lack of a better term.

You won't get the check to come off without pulling metal with it but they are not "locked" in place either.

You did say you were sizing .3575 so I'll figure these are for a pistol round?

If not just be careful and do not seat them ( the gas check's) below the case neck. Which is something you should practice with all gas checked rifle boolits spinning or not!

oneokie
05-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Try annealing some of the checks and see how the fit is afterwards.

runfiverun
05-20-2008, 12:03 AM
the anneal will help with the spring back.
how soft is your lead?

mainiac
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I've experienced this before and I "think" what has happened is the gas check has "crimped" on so hard that the check has reduced the area under that portion of the check that has the crimp! I'll call this "spring back" for lack of a better term.

You won't get the check to come off without pulling metal with it but they are not "locked" in place either.

You did say you were sizing .3575 so I'll figure these are for a pistol round?

If not just be careful and do not seat them ( the gas check's) below the case neck. Which is something you should practice with all gas checked rifle boolits spinning or not!

There for the 35 rem in a marlin. I use a .358 sizer because i havnt got a larger size. The base is just about exact where the body shoulder starts. Im going to try a few groups, and if not up to snuff, then ill slug the bore and buy a larger sizer.