PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about which Dragoon I should be looking for.

Mixxerd
06-25-2016, 06:05 AM
I have been thinking about getting a Dragoon, but there are so many options with them. 1st 2nd 3rd model, different generations, different manufacturers. They do seem to be a little more expensive but I was looking at the Colt reproductions and really liked how well finished they looked in comparison to some of the Italian reproduction manufacturers. Is there a brand/model/generation that is better than the others and easier for a good gunsmith to get "just right" when it gets sent out for tuning? The gun won't be a showpiece, it will be a hunting tool for me here in Michigan during the fall, and I want to get it accurate to about 50-75yds. One last question, do you find that a conical or round ball to be better in the Dragoons? I have a .454RB, .457RB, and a custom 240gr conical designed by Kaido Ojamaa. Thank you for taking time to answer my questions and pointing me in the right direction so I buy the Dragoon that is right for me.

docone31
06-25-2016, 06:43 AM
I like the 2nd model.
Just send it to GoonsGunworks. He loves to work on them. Gets them just so.

Ragnarok
06-25-2016, 08:58 AM
I own an Uberti third model civilian version(no extra cuts or screws for shoulder stock). I think it's approx. a 2006 made version and it shoots great....hits a bit high at really close range but is about perfect for 60-70 yard shooting.

All I've shot in mine are balls...needs the bigger .457 for a proper fit as the smaller .451 and .454 sizes are too small.

Could a person hunt with a Dragoon?...I have thought about it and see no reason it wouldn't work well enough for an experienced handgun hunter.

The Dragoons are big and heavy pistols! I had never handled one before I bought mine and was somewhat surprised by the weight(about 4 pounds)...like Rooster Cogburn tells Matti Ross in 'True Grit'..."need a fence-post to rest it on"

Mixxerd
06-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the replies so far, I will definitely keep Goon in mind when I get one as I have seen that name recommended before. Ragnarok your input about the .457ball fit is helpful and since my custom conical is .4565 it should be close enough to .457 to ensure a ring is shaved. If not I will get with the person I ordered my heavier conical through and get a bigger .460 255gr bullet and shoot them all day. I didn't mention but I am used to an 1858 Rem NMA that I inherited and got me hooked on black powder shooting.

44man
06-25-2016, 01:58 PM
I don't have a dragoon, just the Old Army and with RB's I have killed deer right quick. Seems to match a .44 mag. The bigger gun with more powder should work just fine.
At my age I wish I had a shoulder stock.

45 Dragoon
06-25-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks docone30!!!

Set up correctly, the Dragoon (any of them, my personal favorite is the Whitneyville) can shoot full loads of Triple 7 as its regular diet! With a good bullet (or even ball), should be a fine hunter. The new Walkers/Dragoons have a fast twist barrel and should handle conicals well.

My two Dragoons are the finest and most accurate SA shooters I've ever owned!!

If you want a "hotrod", a Walker cylinder fitted to the Dragoon will give you " Walker" powder charges. WOW!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks