PDA

View Full Version : Bcm lowers

ROCKET
06-25-2016, 12:57 AM
I have a bcm upper and I'm trying to complete with a bcm lower. They run about $450 in my neck if the woods .

Are they worth it the $$$ or should I go with a stripped lower and get a palmetto kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Houndog
06-25-2016, 08:35 AM
In my opinion the upper and lower CASTINGS are the least important part of the build as long as they mate correctly. The barrel, bolt carrier assembly and the trigger group are what REALLY matters. I have 4 AR's of different configurations and none of them have the same brand of upper and lower castings. What they DO have in common is Colt bolt carrier groups, a premium barrel (1 Kreiger, 2 Daniel Defense and 1 Black Hole Weaponery) and Gessele (sp?) triggers.

dragon813gt
06-25-2016, 08:42 AM
I would never pay that much for a lower. I have three Andersons and a DelTon lower. The only difference I found is that the anodizing was a little thick on the Anderson's which made the roll pin installations a little harder. Other than that they are all MOA rifles it I do my part. People put to much stock in brand names when it comes to ARs.

C. Latch
06-25-2016, 08:44 AM
In my opinion the upper and lower CASTINGS are the least important part of the build as long as they mate correctly. The barrel, bolt carrier assembly and the trigger group are what REALLY matters. I have 4 AR's of different configurations and none of them have the same brand of upper and lower castings. What they DO have in common is Colt bolt carrier groups, a premium barrel (1 Kreiger, 2 Daniel Defense and 1 Black Hole Weaponery) and Gessele (sp?) triggers.

^^^^^Exactly.

A stripped upper or stripped lower is just a part, and there's virtually no difference between a $49 part and a $300 part.

The trigger parts and springs in the Lower Parts Kit can have an impact on reliability. Quality bolts, carriers, and barrels are critical (with a 'quality' barrel defined by the intended purpose of the rifle).

Huntsman52
06-25-2016, 09:27 AM
Palmetto has a sell right now on completed lowers. Good deal. Picked up a father's day special lower with Magpul CTR stock, magpull trigger guard, mappul grip, palmetto lower and lpk complete for $179 shipped.

Ickisrulz
06-25-2016, 09:37 AM
$450 does seem high. A stripped lower and parts kit (or even upgraded trigger) and receiver extension should be cheaper. The only thing you'd need to get locally is the stripped lower. Everything else is available online so you can shop for the best price.

ROCKET
06-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Spikes lowers gtg? My lgs has them for 80 bucks on sale...

Ickisrulz
06-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Spikes lowers gtg? My lgs has them for 80 bucks on sale...

From what I understand they are fine, but I have never used one. Check out the information on M4carbine.com.

Houndog
06-26-2016, 07:28 AM
I have a Spikes lower on my competition rifle. It worked out well and absolutely no problems with it.

Mica_Hiebert
06-26-2016, 09:03 AM
If you want a billet lower I'd look at Seekins precision. Much less money than that. And premium quality.

MrWolf
06-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Anderson lowers are usually offered at $50 on sale. Not hard to find online. 4th of July sales should make it easier.

Del-Ray
07-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Do you have the money to spend? Are you a liar?

If the answer is yes to both, then buy it. The finished rifle will have matched uppers and lowers and you can get more money for it if you ever sell it by lying your *** off and saying it was bought as a complete rifle.

If the answer to both is neither, then no. You're paying a significant chunk of change for a name. It's a good name, I've got a plethora of BCM blem uppers I use for my builds. But Anderson lowers, or Delton. I've got a couple of essential arms which are my favs. But I don't think they sell stripped any more.

Shiloh
07-06-2016, 05:04 PM
You should be able to get stripped lowers for around $100 or a bit more. Laser etchings or name brand more money.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/lowers.html

Palmetto had blem lowers for $49.99 a few years back. I saw some. A tool mark, botched anodizing, a nick where it was dropped or something.
Good lowers with minor blemish.
Look around. Buy before the election or next incident.

Shiloh

zubrato
07-15-2016, 12:26 AM
Most forged lowers are produced by a few manufacturers in the US that add roll marks or whatnot and theyre mostly all the same.

However, I would say I've seen garbage lowers with improper specs. Most importantly, the buffer retaining pin being out of spec, and the buffer beating the ever loving snot out of the pin leaving marks all around the buffer edges until the pin breaks and seizes up the gun. No fix except to melt it down and forge it again.

With a better roll mark I'd say comes better QC. On one hand, I want a cheap lower, on the other I dont want "MOLON LABE COME AND TAKE IT REBEL FLAG PUNISHER SKULL DYNAMICS INCORPORATED TACTICAL MANUFACTURING" roll marked on the side of it. When I buy a gun, I expect to be buried with it and frankly I'd be embarassed to be stuck with that on the side of my guns, no offense if that's your thing.

edit: btw I havent RECENTLY seen any garbage lowers for sale, but not saying they dont exist. Last time I saw or heard reports of **** lowers was several years ago. Today the AR market is brutal and pretty competitive, so I'd probably say even the cheap bunks are pretty darn good. A negative review can kill a company these days.

Ickisrulz
07-19-2016, 04:06 PM
You should be able to get stripped lowers for around $100 or a bit more. Laser etchings or name brand more money.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/lowers.html

Palmetto had blem lowers for $49.99 a few years back. I saw some. A tool mark, botched anodizing, a nick where it was dropped or something.
Good lowers with minor blemish.
Look around. Buy before the election or next incident.

Shiloh

Aero Precision is selling blemished lowers for $63 each. I could be wrong, but I doubt you'd notice anything wrong with the lowers once they are assembled into a rifle. Pick up 3 or more and put them in your safe. They will never go down in value.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-lower-gen2-anodized-black-blem.html

dkf
07-19-2016, 06:27 PM
You can get complete BCM lowers with their lower parts kit, trigger, stock, grip etc for under $400 online. If you like the stock, grip and trigger that comes with it is not too bad a deal and you'll have matching rifle. Some companies like G&R Tactical will put together a BCM lower with the parts you want. Stripped BCM lowers are hard to come by. BCM usually pays more attention to fit than some other companies. Spikes lowers are good I have used them.

garym1a2
07-19-2016, 06:40 PM
I built two of them (Aero) when I got them on sale $45 each in 2014. They where not blemished and worked fine. I would save money for a good trigger, barrel and bolt.

Aero Precision is selling blemished lowers for $63 each. I could be wrong, but I doubt you'd notice anything wrong with the lowers once they are assembled into a rifle. Pick up 3 or more and put them in your safe. They will never go down in value.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-lower-gen2-anodized-black-blem.html

MrWolf
07-19-2016, 07:57 PM
Picked up an AR10 Aero blemished lower. LGS guy and I could not find the blemish and he said all the Aero blems are like that.

mulespurs
07-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Today Brownells has Anderson lowers listed at $49.
The two I got are perfect.

edwardware
07-30-2016, 03:51 PM
Here's a plug for Palmetto State! I've owned 3 lowers, all blems, and haven't found a blem yet.

Good hardware. You will need to add an aftermarket trigger, but you were going to do that anyway.

armexman
08-05-2016, 04:05 PM
"They will never go down in value".
True but they will cost you a whole lot of money as you acquire parts to assemble complete rifles;)