PDA

View Full Version : how to fit grips

LUCKYDAWG13
06-24-2016, 09:27 PM
little help I ordered a new set of grips for my Ruger and they dont fit is this hard to fix or should i send back
they were not cheap and took just about 6 weeks to get them thoughts on this 170917170918

targetshootr
06-24-2016, 09:56 PM
Depending on the maker, you might send those pics to them and then send your grip frame so they can fit the grips.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-24-2016, 10:44 PM
I did send pictures to maker on Thursday no reply as of yet

contender1
06-25-2016, 09:44 AM
If a grip maker uses his personal grip frame to make grips,,, the fit may not be as expected. To get a proper fit, you need to send your grip frame to have it "done right."
Now, some grip makers can do an excellent job of matching things,,, w/o your g/f, but the best do use your g/f.

I'd hope the maker will respond soon.

Are those grips made out of holly? If they are, or if they are wood, they can be fitted correctly.

OS OK
06-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Jake70 makes custom grips, I sure that he might give you some simple steps in re-fitting yourself...shoot him a PM.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-25-2016, 11:20 AM
as of yet no word from grip maker sending my grip frame to him is not in going to happen

OS OK
06-25-2016, 11:27 AM
as of yet no word from grip maker sending my grip frame to him is not in going to happen

About 10 years back my smith ordered me a Colt SAA, took 2 month to get it, then sent it back East for Walrus Ivory to be fitted, 2 more months. When it came back the smith held it another month to re-work all the mechanical...what a wait...you know what?

It was worth every day of it!

OS OK
06-25-2016, 12:10 PM
it tooked 3 years from order before I got my saa colt is slow and makeme mad.

to the op those grips fit like doo doo I would demand money back or poo poo makers name all over internet that person should be ashamed to have sent those grips he owes you money and apology

Notice how large they are...doesn't it look as if they were made to fit many different SAA's and the buyer was meant to get the final fit?

LUCKYDAWG13
06-25-2016, 12:33 PM
that be what it look like. if that case it shood have ben made known to buyer. if it was known to buyer than buyer need to clarify post to bee more accurate about situation.
No they were made for a Ruger XR3 grip frame
I'm sure things will work out just hate to send back if i dont have to

OS OK
06-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Don't have any idea of what the mfgr. uses, tools I mean, to fit grips. I know my woodshop has the tools to do it along with polishing and hand work...but...I caution you about sharp fitting edges.
These grips are sharp in the heel of the rear where it fits the palm in a large fist. Stout loads are not fun to shoot...regular loads, no problem.
If you fit those yourself keep this in mind and smooth and radius the mating edges if possible.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-25-2016, 12:53 PM
those are beautiful

44man
06-25-2016, 12:57 PM
No matter what, no grip frame is the same so a maker will use a standard but there is no way to know if it will fit yours.

OS OK
06-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Had to go down to the safe and retrieve her to get the proper picture to explain the problem...it's here at the heel, the grips are radiused to the edge of the Colt frame...don't know if he could have done it any different, but a stout load is a palm puncher.

OS OK
06-25-2016, 02:39 PM
dem is ivory?

yes, Walrus.

44man
06-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Lucky man, just beautiful.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-25-2016, 05:39 PM
In the late 1960s a man in Long Beach, Ca. fit these ivory grips to my 32-20 for a big 60 bucks and he furnished the ivory. He would make you a set of S&W magna grips for 100. Sometime in the '70s I converted the pistol to 44SPL. If I had the spare coin I would send it to Mr. Turnbull and have it turned back to 32 and completely restored but at my age, why bother

mazo kid
06-25-2016, 05:47 PM
No matter what, no grip frame is the same so a maker will use a standard but there is no way to know if it will fit yours.
This is very true. I have made replacement grips for several of my C&B revolvers, same make, same model and they are NOT interchangeable. The OP has a nice set of grips and is lucky in that they are on the generous side so can be trimmed down for better fit.

OS OK
06-26-2016, 07:15 AM
Gopher...
That looks like my rig right down to the 'concho', very nice!
These were and are my only set of Ivory...don't know what I was thinking when I was offered the Walrus but I thought that being old it would be older looking and yellowed some. Thats the look I was after so it was a bit of a let down.
Jake70 is sending a set of rams horn he made for my lil Colt 1911 on Monday, he sent this picture last week of the grips just 'roughed in' before final finnishing and details. This is more the old look I thought I'd get in the Ivory, oh well, live and learn.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-26-2016, 06:20 PM
well i got in answer back from grip maker things look good i'm not going to try and fix and take a chance of screwing them up just going to send them back to him and let him do it right they are just to nice for me to butcher them up this is the reply i got i will post picks when i get them back
Jim,

That's got to be the worst fitting set of grips that I've come across... Did you buy that revolver new, or is it new to you? I've never seen a grip frame that much different than the one that I use to fit the grips to.

The very best way to get them fit is to ship me your grip frame with the grips. I have a couple pages on my site where I go through removal and re-installation. Not everyone is comfortable doing this so I understand if this isn't something that you want to do.

The next best option is to take a very fine pencil (I like to use mechanical pencils with a chamfor wore into the lead) and trace the grip frame onto the grips as close to the grip frame as possible. I will use the pencil line as a guide and will sand the grips until the line is no long visible so the closer the better.

Best regards,

Carl R. Schultz

targetshootr
06-26-2016, 09:43 PM
I myself would use a sharp edge to score the grips instead of a pencil.

He did some panels for me last year at a very reasonable price. I sent the outline of a panel that fit the gf and they came back perfect.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-27-2016, 07:14 AM
I myself would use a sharp edge to score the grips instead of a pencil.

He did some panels for me last year at a very reasonable price. I sent the outline of a panel that fit the gf and they came back perfect.

good idea thanks