PDA

View Full Version : Itch Finally Got Scratched

robertbank
06-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Handguns come and handguns go. One gun I always wanted to buy, yet always allowed anther girl to enter the safe was a 5" Model 10 in 38spl. For some reason K 38 came along or a GP-100 or several CZ's but never the Model 10. Last week I threw caution, if not dollars, to the wind and picked up a 1969/70 Model 10-5 five inch from a fellow over in Ft. St. John. The gun was mailed to me on the 23rd and will be here on Tuesday next being the 28th at the latest.

The last Model 10 I shot was NIB from RCMP stores. The gun was used for bait for training a local RCMP patrol dog. I saw it a few weeks later and it had been turned into a boat anchor, having been tossed out of vehicles into roadside ditches etc. Our tax dollars at work I guess.

I am excited to develop a POA load for the new gun using 158 and 200 gr bullets.

Gun appears to have had little use with no drag marks on the cylinder. Yes I will post pictures as soon as she arrives.

Take Care

Bob

Artful
06-24-2016, 06:31 PM
The 5 inch handle pretty sweet - I don't know about the 200 grn but the 158 Lyman 358311 round nose was real accurate in my pre war 4 inch.

JWT
06-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Congratulations. I love mine. :Fire:

I shoots everything I have tried very accurately.

358-148-WC DeCarli 148gr (MP group buy)
358063 DEWC
358091 150gr WC
358429 (Hollow pointed)

robertbank
06-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Here is a picture of the gun the seller took of it before I bought the gun.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/IMG_2568.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/robertbank/media/IMG_2568.jpg.html)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/IMG_2569.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/robertbank/media/IMG_2569.jpg.html)
Take Care

Bob

tazman
06-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Most model 10 revolvers were regulated for 158 grain boolits with full power(not plus p)loads. I would start there and see where I needed to go.
Nice looking gun.

Scharfschuetze
06-25-2016, 12:36 AM
Congrats on what will no doubt become be one of your favorites!

I remember visiting a friend of mine (an RCMP Mountie) at Creston, BC one summer in 1983 or so and his issue revolver at the time was a pencil barrel Model 10 just like yours. I loved the brown leather Sam Brown belts and flap holsters that the Mounties wore for their Model 10s.

My Model 10 shoots to the point of aim with both 158 grain cast boolits and 148 grain WCs. Bullseye powder works a treat in it.

Here's my Model 10 along with some old souvenirs of mine from my LE days.

robertbank
06-25-2016, 01:11 AM
tazman - thank you, I will load her with some 158's newar the top of the data and see where they get too.

Schaefschuetze - Yes the RCMP used those guns well. They have been S&W for a very long time. They were instrumental in getting the old 38/44 revolver built, of my history books are correct, when the force wanted a heavy revolver back in the day.

The Model 10 served them well. The 5946 is a rather heavy replacement that may get retired soon in favour of the M&P 9MM Pistol, though the ERT are getting the Sig 226 in 9MM. I know some of the old guard who could shoot the Model 10.

I see you are in WA. You must have worked at sometime jointly with the RCMP folks along the border. I get down to the IDPA WA State Match each year. To late to get this gun onto my Form 6 but maybe next year.

Thank you for helping to keep folks safe on both sides of the 49th.

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
06-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Well the gun is in Pr. George at 11:40am and is presently somewhere between here and there along Hwy 16. Put another way the gun arrives tomorrow morning around 11:30am in my postal box. Gonna have to sleep fast. Loaded 200 fresh 158gr RN bullets for it and then will switch to some LSWC. I will try to post some targets as well.

Things to do - find a reasonably priced holster for a K Frame.

Take Care

Bob

DerekP Houston
06-27-2016, 04:42 PM
I replaced the wood grips on mine with a set of rubber grips, but it is hands down my favorite gun! I plan on collecting the entire model 10 series, have a 10-7 and 10-10 now and bidding on the exact same one you just got! a 5" 10-5 blued.

tazman
06-27-2016, 06:04 PM
Due to hand size, I also switch out the standard wood grips for a set of Pachmeyer grips. Either presentation or combat/grippers work for me.

Outpost75
06-27-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't know how many were made, but when I attended Ruger Armorer's School in the mid-1980s they were producing a run of 5" Service Six .38 Spl. square butt with lanyard loop. The majority were blued, but there were a few stainless intended for the maritime provinces. RCMP also got some heavy barrel Ruger M77s with laminated stocks and Zeiss scopes mounted in 7.62mm.

9.3X62AL
06-27-2016, 06:21 PM
I enjoy my Model 10 x 5" very much. Very smooth trigger stroke, I used it for my quals gun this year for CCW/HR 218 firing.

Most of my shooting with it gets done with #358429, my mould casts at 163 grains. These run at 825-850 FPS hit right where the sights look at 25 yards.

WebMonkey
06-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Just about the same story here.
;)
One of these days a smith & wesson 10 or pre 10, any length will finally come home with me.
'Monkey

robertbank
06-28-2016, 12:27 AM
I enjoy my Model 10 x 5" very much. Very smooth trigger stroke, I used it for my quals gun this year for CCW/HR 218 firing.

Most of my shooting with it gets done with #358429, my mould casts at 163 grains. These run at 825-850 FPS hit right where the sights look at 25 yards.

Hey my friend I have the bullet cast and waiting. 4.2 gr of Bullseye will get me to your numbers as will 4.6 gr of Unique. Out of Bullseye right now but have Unique on hand. Hours away now. Times are good.

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
06-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Well it will be in my box by noon. Who knew Santa comes in the form of a cute looking postie in June.

History

Email Notifications: Sign up | Remove
Date Time Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name
2016/06/28 08:15 TERRACE, BC Item out for delivery
06:42 TERRACE, BC Item processed
2016/06/27 11:40 PRINCE GEORGE, BC In transit
09:27 PRINCE GEORGE, BC Item processed
2016/06/23 18:27 DAWSON CREEK, BC In transit
15:32 DAWSON CREEK, BC Item processed
08:59 FORT ST JOHN, BC Item accepted
2016/06/22 17:01 FORT ST JOHN, BC Item accepted at the Post Office

EMC45
06-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Beautiful Model 10 Bob!

robertbank
06-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Just got back from the range. Apart from a faint holster rub mark near the muzzle of the gun it would be easy to assume the gun was made yesterday as opposed to 1969/70. I waded through a hundred rounds or so of various loading's of the 358477 Lyman bullet. The bullet weighs in at 155 gr as cast from WW alloy. 4.6 gr of Unique did extremely well as did 3.4 gr of 700X under the bullet. I did manage to test bench accuracy off a rest at 15 yards (sorry guys but my eyes struggle even at that distance using iron sights, and had 8 out of 10 rounds inside of 2" with two fliers caused by me. Just for fun, I walked some rounds out to our two gongs. One at 125 yards and the other at 135 yards. The 4.6 gr of Unique under the 477 bullet went six for six on an 18" gong at 135 yards, The gun is a shooter and does like my cast bullets.

I am going to load some 358429 bullets to see how the gun handles a slightly heavier bullet as well as making the jump to the 200 grainers which is more of a defensive load to be used inside 25 yards. The latter will be for academic reasons only of course. I intend to stick with my Sig 226 for around the house concerns. For the four legged friends I have the 357mag/45Colt/12Gauge combo.

This is going to be a fun gun for sure. It cleaned up quick with no sign of leading. I just have to chase down a holster for it and we should be good to go.

Take Care

Bob

Petrol & Powder
06-28-2016, 09:06 PM
That's awesome! I have a real love for the 38 Special. You have found a GREAT gun !

I wish you Good Times with the legendary S&W K-Frame.

DerekP Houston
06-28-2016, 09:28 PM
I love my model 10's =) I can't wait for springfield to finish my shoulder holster.

robertbank
06-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Last night I applied fluorescent green paint to the top 1/8th of the front sight. This will add to faster and more precise sight acquisition. Focusing elderly eyes is an interesting exercise in the futility department of life. The fluorescent paint does glow in the sunlight. The gun does seem to prefer LSWC over the RN bullets loaded for IDPA. I do not intend to use the Model 10 for IDPA so I will spend my time with the 358477, 358429 and 358156 bullets. I also have HP molds for the latter as well so my summer should be eventful. Chasing cans and shooting steel poppers will add to the fun.

Take Care

Bob

DerekP Houston
06-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Last night I applied fluorescent green paint to the top 1/8th of the front sight. This will add to faster and more precise sight acquisition. Focusing elderly eyes is an interesting exercise in the futility department of life. The fluorescent paint does glow in the sunlight. The gun does seem to prefer LSWC over the RN bullets loaded for IDPA. I do not intend to use the Model 10 for IDPA so I will spend my time with the 358477, 358429 and 358156 bullets. I also have HP molds for the latter as well so my summer should be eventful. Chasing cans and shooting steel poppers will add to the fun.

Take Care

Bob

Heh, I'm only 34 and I put white out on the black blade to help with sight allignment. Any trick in the book that helps. I only have the 2 cavity but the 358429 is dead on accurate for me as well.

tazman
06-29-2016, 05:09 PM

Take Care

Bob

You might want to try some full wadcutters just to see how they shoot. Light wadcutter loads make great can poppers and are easy on the hands.
I understand completely about the eye issues. Beyond about 20 yards, I need to have optics of some sort if I am to hit with any regularity. I lose either the sight picture or the target out there. Add that to the old people shakes and it becomes a very frustrating experience.

robertbank
06-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Well I Chronoed both my 358477 bullet over 3.4 Gr of 700X as well as some Factory Ranger Match 148gr WC. The latter were issued to the RCMP and the boxes are so marked. If anyone collects these empty boxes I will be happy to mail them down to anyone for free.
The average velocity for both bullets were as follows:
358477 156 gr 830fps
Ranger Match 760fps

At 15 yards 8 out of 10 bullets off a rest went into a 2" circle. Both targets got two obvious fliers. That really is about as good as I can hold. The two bullet shapes, at that distance shoot identical and that is a good thing. Now I did not try the 135 gong shot with the WC but did go after the gong again with the 358477 bullet and it certainly is capable. I didn't run a six for six but was well over 50% which again is a reflection of my ability. As Tazman and others have said the Model 10 is a shooter and this gun is no exception. Double taps at 12 yards fired rapidly from the low ready position saw all rounds hot into a six inch circle which is what I do with my CZ pistols.

I did run some 358429 170 gr bullets over the Chrony. 10 rds averaged 793fps using 3.4 gr of 700X. The load shot a bit high at 15 yards. I am going to try Unique over the summer with this bullet to see if I can get to POA at 15 yards.

I have decided to settle on the 358477 bullet for the gun and lighten up the loading just a bit. I doubt the cardboard targets I engage along with the odd pop can will notice any difference.

I don't have a problem with the factor grips but will try to chase down some rubber versions.

Given my shoulder malady I an experiencing right now, the lighter K Frame gun is an attraction not lost on me and this gun will get a lot of use. We are developing a love affair.

Take Care

Bob

jimb16
06-30-2016, 08:30 PM
I have a pre-10 VS Victory Model. I think I may get buried with it! I love that thing. I refer to it as my radar gun. It is the best shooting revolver I've ever had. It happily eats any cast bullets that I care to put through it. Off sand bags at 25 yards, it will consistently shoot groups of under 2 inches and with some loads, even less. You can't ask for more than that can you?

DerekP Houston
06-30-2016, 08:33 PM
I have a pre-10 VS Victory Model. I think I may get buried with it! I love that thing. I refer to it as my radar gun. It is the best shooting revolver I've ever had. It happily eats any cast bullets that I care to put through it. Off sand bags at 25 yards, it will consistently shoot groups of under 2 inches and with some loads, even less. You can't ask for more than that can you?

mwahahahahaha I won my bid for the 10-5 6".....now a few more to go for the complete collection :D. I love these S&W revolvers.

robertbank
06-30-2016, 08:35 PM

Not if your ZIP/Postal Code ends in Planet Earth. I assume yours is in 38spl not 38 S&W. We see more than a few of the Military & Police Victory Models up here but they are all 38 S&W in the main. The old girls can shoot that is for sure. I have a friend with one that looks like it got dragged behind a 4x4 but has a like new bore in 38 S&W with a barrel that measure .357. The gun shoots like a laser.

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
06-30-2016, 08:36 PM
mwahahahahaha I won my bid for the 10-5 6".....now a few more to go for the complete collection :D. I love these S&W revolvers.

Derek you have to let us know how she shoots and with what.

Take Care

Bob

9.3X62AL
07-01-2016, 12:36 AM
I had an idea that the 5" M&P 38 would be a match made in heaven for Bob. I surely enjoy mine.

Over the years of 38 Special shooting, the Lyman #358477 (149 grains in 92/6/2) has been my most-used bullet by far. The heavier-version #358430 (195 RN) has always shot well for me, in both 38 Special and 357 Magnum. I've shot LOTS of that "heavy", 'cause they are uber-accurate and cast so easily. In 38 most of them have been kept in the 700-725 FPS ballpark--in a +P-certified 38, 775-800 FPS should be safe and not strain things. #358429 came on scene rather late in the game for me, and shoots well. My version (2-banger) is relatively light with a short bottom drive band (how un-Keith-like.....) and hefts out at 163 grains. These I run at 800-850 FPS in the M-10 x 5" and a Colt OMT x 6". I have 357 Magnums on staff, so there is ZERO need to hot-rod my 38s.

Murphy
07-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Robert,

Glad to see you finally got one you've been wanting. I think we all do that at some point in time, the putting one on the back burner we've always wanted. I found mine last year at a local shop. I don't think some of the locals realize what some of those old S&W's are and their true worth. I pretty much stole mine for $225 out the door. It's no show pony, but I don't buy them for that to begin with.

Unlike yours, mine is a 4" pencil barrel. Someone (very skilled) silver soldered a blade front sight on top of the original 1/2 pennie round style one. It's in about 80% condition from the early 40's and I flat love that thing. I've been using the Lyman #358477 as well seated on top of 4.5 grains of Unique. I've been watching for a pair of old Herrett's Shooting Star stocks for it that aren't all that pretty either, just good and functional.

Congratulations and enjoy,

Murphy

9.3X62AL
07-02-2016, 06:22 PM
www.herrettstocks.com

Herrett's is still in business, and though their products are not cheap they are great stocks. With all the money you saved on that fine old long-action K-frame, I think you can invest in some good handles fer it. :-)

robertbank
07-03-2016, 09:30 AM
A friend handed me a set pf Pacmeyers (SP) rubber grips he thought would fit my 686. It turns out they fit like a glove on the Model 10. With Medium large hands (that was my golf glove size back in the day), I get a much better grip on the gun. We shall see how it affects my shooting later this morning. I couple of us meet on Sundays when the back pits aren't in use with IDPA to play with our revolvers. Mostly steel shooting at an array of poppers. Today we may have a go at steel and IPSC targets. Nothing serious just breaking sand into smaller bits using various iterations of lead and plated projectiles.

Take Care

Bob

DerekP Houston
07-03-2016, 09:43 AM
A friend handed me a set pf Pacmeyers (SP) rubber grips he thought would fit my 686. It turns out they fit like a glove on the Model 10. With Medium large hands (that was my golf glove size back in the day), I get a much better grip on the gun. We shall see how it affects my shooting later this morning. I couple of us meet on Sundays when the back pits aren't in use with IDPA to play with our revolvers. Mostly steel shooting at an array of poppers. Today we may have a go at steel and IPSC targets. Nothing serious just breaking sand into smaller bits using various iterations of lead and plated projectiles.

Take Care

Bob

I don't like the look of them, but i'd be a liar if I said I didn't shoot better with the larger rubber grips. I have a set for most of my revolvers now for "shooting" and ones for "display". The angle of the grips (for me) makes it able to be a point shooter without aiming. I extend my shooting index finger and whatever it is pointing at I can reliably hit now. Never was able to do this with a semi auto, and my grip shifts ever so slightly with wood grips. I can keep it in a 3" circle with those, but now I am able to consistently knock the stuffing out of a 2" splatter target at 10yrds. Your results may vary, I know my shooting varies day to day.

robertbank
07-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Yup I agree. I am keeping the originals around because they just look right. I took a peek at the Herretts and would love to put a set of Jordan's on the gun. I can wait until the price of oil and our dollar gets back closer to par with the rebel buck before making the move.

Take Care

Bob

Scharfschuetze
07-03-2016, 08:38 PM
I keep the original grips on most of my S&Ws out of nostalgia I guess. As 99% of my revolver shooting is double action, I have modified the older target style grips into a more DA friendly design by reducing the diameter of the grip at the heel and reducing the length as well. They improve DA shooting by levels of magnitude and they look good too.

Sadly, original S&W target grips are bringing a premium nowadays, so I probably won't be cutting any more down anytime soon.

Here's an example on a Pre-Model 10 Hand Ejector.

robertbank
07-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Very nice grips indeed. I am torn frankly. I do shoot better with my Packmeyers (sp) but I do have that nostalgia thing ringing in my head. I think I have put more rounds down range in the last week than my old girl has had in her lifetime. The gun is a shooter for sure. I am going to order a holster from Simply Rugged Holsters. The old girl deserves leather. The company has an interesting chest rig arrangement that can be used with the holster design I am looking at so there may be an order involving my GP-100 as well. I think the latter stoked with 200 gr RN will be my preferred wilderness carry. I seem to shoot the gun marginally better than my 45 Colt and the .357mag is quite enough of a handful. The Model 10 on the other hand is going to be my lovin gun. I wish we could use handguns to hunt rabbits and such up here. Over in the Queen Charlotte's the 38spl would be decent deer medicine. The deer over there are about the size of a Great Dane and a small Great Dane at that.

Playing with light 700X and PB loads. The PB powder was bought when there wasn't much else on the shelves and needs to be used up.

Take Care

Bob

I will post some pictures of targets next rainy day.

ShooterAZ
07-07-2016, 03:42 PM
I was able to get out and "scratch the itch" with my Model 10 last weekend. I have a 3" heavy barreled model circa 1977. It usually does duty as my nightstand gun, but I like to knock the dust off of it from time to time. It loves a diet of the Lee 38-148 Wadcutters sized .358 and lubed with LLA, over 2.8 grains of 231 and seated flush. This load can consistently cut ragged hole groups at 20 yds when I do my part. I love my Model 10.