PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 sight/optic questions

wonderwolf
06-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Marlin 336 30-30 is what I'm working with and first off I'm confused by which williams peep sight to get, they list the 94/36 and the 336 sights. Mine is a newer rifle (made 2008 iirc) so I'm gonna guess that if I go peep to just do the 336? or is the 94/36 also good but side mounted?

Scout scoping this one is also in the back of my head, vortex has come out with a new scout scope that I kind of want to try out. A XS mount would be the rail option for this

Looking at pictures of scout scoped 336's it seems like the scope sits kind of high on them, even with lower rings. For those of you who have thus equipped rifles do you still have a cheek weld or not with this set up?

As always thanks for the help, this is the 3rd 30-30 i've had in the last 3 or 4 years, all the others had a few issues in the barrel and were worth more to somebody else than to me for collector reasons (older marlin & win 94's) and I just wanted a shooter.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-24-2016, 04:34 PM
I think I know where you are coming from. The scout scope plus rear sight combo is very appealing.

I had a 336 in 35rem set up with a Leupold scout scope. It was a lethal combo on deer in brushy country.

That being said I would personally recommend a traditional eye relief scope on top of the receiver. The Marlin receiver is already drilled and tapped this way. A good low magnification fixed power scope is very fast. Even a 3-9 variable power scope is fast when left on 3. You can also leave the barrel mounted rear sight on for a backup if you ever feel the need to remove the scope. Most of the newer Marlins I have seen have a rear sight that folds down for this purpose.

Most of the scout scope style bases I have seen attach to the rear sight dove tail and the front two holes in the receiver. The one I had was an XS brand. This set up twisted and strung shots badly for me when the gun heated up. I never had issues with stringing shots with receiver mounted scopes or iron sights, so I blamed the scout style base because of how it bridged between the barrel and receiver. Perhaps I would have had better luck if I had the barrel alone drilled and tapped, but then again that seems like a waist when the receiver is already set up for a scope.

Also while I liked the idea of a backup peep sight I never used it once the scope was sighted in. It actually sort of distracted my eye, so I removed the peep sight.

To answer your question about the Williams sight. Get the one specifically for the 336.

Some more food for thought. Be sure to check out Skinner sights before ordering a Williams. I like how compact Skinner sights are.

Uncle Grinch
06-24-2016, 05:34 PM
I like the 336 peep sight better as it is somewhat smaller in profile than the 94/336. I have both and actually changed my JES re-bored 30-30 to the 336 sight. The previous owner had the 94/336 on it.

Shawlerbrook
06-24-2016, 05:56 PM
I find that the closer to your eye that you mount a peep the better they work. Check out Skinner for some other peep options. They are very high quality.

northmn
06-24-2016, 06:29 PM
Newer 336 rifles take the 336 peep which screws into the back two scope mount holes. My older waffle top takes a 94 style sight. Some take both. If it has two screw holes on the side you can use the 94, if not the 336.
I have a scope mounted on an old 35 Remington and have taken the sights off as they are a distraction. Currently I am using a 1.5-4.5 scope and would not change it. A good low power scope is faster than a receiver sight. Another option is a Red Dot which is the fastest. Biggest thing with a scope is that it needs to be properly mounted so that it fits. The scope should be right there when you throw up the rifle, no stock creeping or focusing. I spend some time on that. Iron sights of any type require alignment and optics do not.

DEP

Drm50
06-24-2016, 07:14 PM
I agree with conventional low power on lever deer guns. But once a person leans to use a peep
sight properly it is about as fast as you can get. Most guys make the mistake of using pinhole
target aperture. I have Marlin Marauder 30/30 with Lyman 66, that is one of my favorite deer
rifles. With Patridge front, and NO aperture it is quick on deer at woods ranges.

pietro
06-24-2016, 07:41 PM

The 94/336 sight only fits the older rifle's peep sight prep on the upper rear side of the LH receiver sidewall.

The 336 sight is intended for rifles made after the side prep was discontinued, and utilizes the two rear scope mount prep holes atop the receiver - but can be used on older rifles as well.