PDA

View Full Version : help dog got hold of a skunk

wgr
06-24-2016, 01:14 AM
how to get the smell off? she is a house dog (lab)

wgr
06-24-2016, 01:20 AM
sorry for the double post

starmac
06-24-2016, 03:01 AM
Sounds like she is going to be an outside dog for a day or two.

packnrat
06-24-2016, 03:59 AM
got a good place for him to live outside?
pending your location heat / cool lots of good drinking water, shade, shelter, safety for him?
be at least two or three weeks.

chuckbuster
06-24-2016, 05:12 AM
Google dog skunk clean or deskunking your dog, you will get the recipe.

Kevin

redriverhunter
06-24-2016, 05:44 AM
I use skunk off I get it at Atwoods I think most of the farm/feed type stores carry it. works good for me. I always have a bottle on hand

Jeff Michel
06-24-2016, 05:52 AM
Any good shampoo and FRESH hydrogen peroxide, lots of peroxide. I'll use about a gallon in the course of four baths. Let the peroxide contact for about five minutes before rinsing off, then soap then rinse then peroxide. You get the idea. The bad news is you dog will still smell a bit, keep it in a cage or kennel for a couple days and don't let it contact any furniture. You won't be able to smell it after so much exposure. You might invite a friend over to have a sniff to give you the all clear sign. I know exactly what your going through, I do it on average twice a year. For as many skunks that live in my area, you would think they are a protected species.

farmerjim
06-24-2016, 06:50 AM
Tomato juice worked for me when my 2 labs got sprayed several times.
1. Put on latex gloves.
2. shampoo several times.
3. pour tomato juice over dog and work deep into coat with hands (gloves on)
4. Let stand for 1 hour.
5. Rinse and repeat tomato juice.
6 Rinse off and let dry.
95 % of the smell will be gone.

dolang1
06-24-2016, 08:27 AM
Nature's Miracle works for us. Bathe them in it. Buy it at the pet store.

OS OK
06-24-2016, 08:48 AM
<<<Bubby the 'skunk sniffer' has gotten it three times...two of which were direct hits in the face. This too @ 1:00AM when the wife comes home from the Hospital and lets him out to go and pee. I end up in a very hot shower with Bubby and use about 1/3 bottle of Baby Shampoo. Shampoo/rinse well...about 4 times in a row and he'll end up with a slight smell as other methods. Takes a good week for that last part of the smell to wear off.

JoeG52
06-24-2016, 08:57 AM
This really works.
Simple, Cheap and Effective Skunk Smell Remover Get yourself and the pooch outside before bathing it. The poor dog is going to want to shake the cleaner off and it's going to go flying everywhere, including on you.

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (from drug store)
1/4 cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon of liquid detergent

Mix thoroughly

Rub this solution into your pet’s dry coat, being careful not to get the cleaning solution in the dog's eyes. Let the cleaner/deodorizer sit on the poor thing for 20 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly with water and then shampoo as normal. Repeat all steps if necessary.

44man
06-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Skunk spray is oil based so you need to cut oils. Trouble is a dogs skin is not happy with some things. I skinned skunks to tan hides and white gas was used to dip them in and to wash the hides but you sure do not want that on your friend.
I bath my dog with baby shampoo only. I tried tomato juice long ago and it is not so good. It helped but not enough.
Dogs have very delicate skin so be careful. Even insect spray you use will burn a dog. OFF is BAD.
My little dog will smell where a fox was and gets stinky faced but it is not as bad as a skunk. I keep her on a leash. She still sticks her nose in the weeds to get a stinky face.
Peroxide can kill skin cells as well as bacteria. Baking soda is safe.

Beagle333
06-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Lots of baby shampoo, repeatedly.

No need to torture the dog with a lot of harsh mixes and different Ph balances. You wouldn't want a concoction of unknown chemical reactions and unpredictable Ph levels sitting on your skin for any extended "soaking" period. ;)
No matter what you use, it's going to be with you for a little while. Have fun and shampoo often.

tja6435
06-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Sounds like she is going to be an outside dog for a day or two.

Or 5-6 weeks, at least it's summer

OS OK
06-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Skunk spray is oil based so you need to cut oils. Trouble is a dogs skin is not happy with some things. I skinned skunks to tan hides and white gas was used to dip them in and to wash the hides but you sure do not want that on your friend.
I bath my dog with baby shampoo only. I tried tomato juice long ago and it is not so good. It helped but not enough.
Dogs have very delicate skin so be careful. Even insect spray you use will burn a dog. OFF is BAD.
My little dog will smell where a fox was and gets stinky faced but it is not as bad as a skunk. I keep her on a leash. She still sticks her nose in the weeds to get a stinky face.
Peroxide can kill skin cells as well as bacteria. Baking soda is safe.

...^...+1...If people insist on these concoctions of various mixes...I suggest that they try it on their skin first, let it sit on your skin for these extended periods, do it several times...hot shampoo shower will thin the oil's viscosity and get it off and down the drain...wont burn the dogs eyes.
Dogs generally get sprayed in the face as they try to smell this critter they find in the yard.

In the end, all the methods leave a slight smell that takes time to wear off...I can handle that but, can't handle the idea of causing my dog even more pain and discomfort from my cleaning method.

44man
06-24-2016, 11:29 AM
We have tougher skin then a dog. I see all kinds of people use bleach for poison ivy but it kills skin. Poison ivy and poison oak are also oil based. Wash fast after contact but I am immune to both and pull ivy by hand. Never got it. Dogs do not get it but if you touch a dog that was in it, you might get it. Deer eat the stuff. Still a dog can't take what we can but peroxide will kill our skin cells so i would not use it on my dog. A dog will survive the stink and to go after another skunk just means STUPID!

OS OK
06-24-2016, 11:53 AM
We have tougher skin then a dog. I see all kinds of people use bleach for poison ivy but it kills skin. Poison ivy and poison oak are also oil based. Wash fast after contact but I am immune to both and pull ivy by hand. Never got it. Dogs do not get it but if you touch a dog that was in it, you might get it. Deer eat the stuff. Still a dog can't take what we can but peroxide will kill our skin cells so i would not use it on my dog. A dog will survive the stink and to go after another skunk just means STUPID!

I'll have to have a heart to heart talk with Bubby and tell him not to act 'instinctively'...tell him he is just stupid.
That will cure the problem, I'm sure.

wgr
06-24-2016, 01:36 PM
I'll have to have a heart to heart talk with Bubby and tell him not to act 'instinctively'...tell him he is just stupid.
That will cure the problem, I'm sure.I had that talk with her .did not do at lot of good. women thing I guess. I did get her smelling better used lots of baking soda

JoeG52
06-24-2016, 03:32 PM
The hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and soap mix is safe for dogs and people. It is a good solution to deskunking.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-deskunk-a-human/
http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/skunk-smell/

Harter66
06-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Massangale douche powder mix as directed wash the dog .
It's all we used in the grooming shop .

jimofaz
06-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Back on the farm in PA, tomato juice usually worked to get most of the stink off.

MostlyLeverGuns
06-24-2016, 03:53 PM
JoeG52 has the formula. Also that is the Google formula. Worked out by a chemist, based on content of skunk spray. I've used that formula multiple times work far better than tomato juice, which I have tried. It is hard to believe how well the dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda mix works. Gets rid of the stink RIGHT NOW!

tdoyka
06-24-2016, 04:22 PM
The hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and soap mix is safe for dogs and people. It is a good solution to deskunking.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-deskunk-a-human/
http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/skunk-smell/

my old brittney would get into skunks every year. we'd use tomato juice(alway keep a couple of good sized cans) and we'd use the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. never tried it with soap.

Taylor
06-25-2016, 06:45 AM
Are you making any progress?

wgr
06-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Are you making any progress?yes tried the internet thing dish soap, baking soda and peroxide
seemed to work great. lucky it was a young skunk got killed fast did not get het good. thinks for the help Bill

SteveS
06-26-2016, 07:22 AM
While no remedy works 100%, the peroxide, baking soda, dish liquid solution is the best in my experience. I've never heard of it harming a dog and I've even used it on myself a few times.