PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Ranger 6X6 800 replacement legs for hunting from. Anyone own ever own one?

Just Duke
06-24-2016, 12:24 AM
Polaris Ranger 6X6 800 replacement legs for hunting from. Anyone own or ever owned one?
Barbie and I are both considered disabled and can shoot from a vehicle in WA legally as long as its turned off.
We also have special hunting areas designated for us.

Beings we have to move back to WA we might as well make the best of it.
We left there in one piece but arriving back as a bucket of screws and bolts.
(My old company has been haranguing me [smilie=b: to come back and will make three times as much and only be three days a week. Dar-pa)
Better there than PA. lol
So anyway this rig sans the poorly engineered bed looks like the ticket. Actually a couple of them.
I'd make a new bed out of Marine grade Baltic and fiberglass it over and use color matched green resin. The old bed would be Craigslisted off.

starmac
06-24-2016, 02:08 PM
I never owned one, but was strongly considering one when they were discontinued. I do have aquaintenences that own them, and they are a very versatile and capable rig.

rancher1913
06-24-2016, 02:26 PM
i have the kubota version with only single rears, it is 4x4 with locking diff's and its a mountain goat. only time its ever been stuck was in some waist deep mud, it got high centered and could not get traction.

Just Duke
06-25-2016, 12:01 AM
I never owned one, but was strongly considering one when they were discontinued. I do have aquaintenences that own them, and they are a very versatile and capable rig.

They still make them.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-25-2016, 12:31 AM
I bought a new 2003 Polaris 700 4x4 ATV...basically the same engine as that Ranger, except it's just bored out to 760 and they call it a 800.

I can't help you much with the 6x6 and it's abilities and mechanical.
But that engine is awesome and torquey.
I have ridden several brands of ATV, but powerwise this 700 was really WAY MORE power than needed for a 4x4 atv. Honestly I liken that 700 ATV to driving a small pickup when compared to the ATVs I've driven with smaller engines. Yep it had lots of low end torque and then crack the throttle and you're going 65mph in nothing flat...all stock. The thing was just too dangerous for my needs, I ended up trading down to a 450 Honda a few years after I bought it.

starmac
06-25-2016, 01:31 AM
They still make them.

Ok which model was it that they discontinued, I know it was the biggest one they made, maybe 900?
The story I got from the dealers was that the engine would not meet new epa specs, and they didn't have another engine to work in it at the time, they did say they were working on one. Anyway every dealer sold out pronto when they announced it up here and used ones started selling for more than new.

The new pioneer has had my interest, since they came out. I have not had a chance to try out the 1000 though.

Just Duke
06-25-2016, 04:47 AM
Ok which model was it that they discontinued, I know it was the biggest one they made, maybe 900?
The story I got from the dealers was that the engine would not meet new epa specs, and they didn't have another engine to work in it at the time, they did say they were working on one. Anyway every dealer sold out pronto when they announced it up here and used ones started selling for more than new.

The new pioneer has had my interest, since they came out. I have not had a chance to try out the 1000 though.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-utv/ranger-6x6-800-sage-green

Lloyd Smale
06-25-2016, 07:46 AM
years ago dad bought one of the 6x6 Polaris 4 wheelers (not a side by side) It would go through about anyting until the trail go tight. It didn't handle or turn for **** and was just to big for tight trails. If a guy was around a bunch of mud maybe id consider one but I owned a Polaris rzr and will say this. With a good set of tires It would go places that would make your hair stand up. No second set of wheels needed. But it also was the most unreliable atv utv ive ever owned. It was constantly needing something fixed. I dumped it. My Yamaha grizzly is 8 years old and other then oil changes has needed NOTHING. It even still has the original plug and battery in it. Id look seriously at the new models Yamaha just came out with and forget the 6x6 unless you feel you absolutely need it.

tdoyka
06-25-2016, 01:09 PM
my utv is a 2012 polaris ranger 800 4x4 and i love it. i too am disabled(stroke). i used to own an atv(arctic cat) and it was all right, but the ranger has it all over the others.

osteodoc08
06-27-2016, 08:14 PM
I had a Polaris Ranger and unless you need 6 tires, the plain 4x4 model
should be up to any task you can throw at it. There are several
UTVs on the market but for straight up
utility, it's hard to beat the Ranger