PDA

View Full Version : Drifting out Win 94 Rear Sight. From Right to left?

Four Fingers of Death
06-23-2016, 10:09 PM
I need to remove the rear sight on this 94 that I picked up recently. Which way?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/20160622_162318_zpsmibucu4t.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Leverguns/20160622_162318_zpsmibucu4t.jpg.html)

Mk42gunner
06-23-2016, 11:11 PM
In theory with a machine cut dovetail it doesn't matter.

I have always done sights in from the right, out from the left.

Robert

Nueces
06-23-2016, 11:27 PM
In practice, it does matter, as sight bases are often tapered, small side to the left. So, remove left to right, as seen from the rear. Install from the right.

Put a piece of card under the back part of the sight so that it doesn't scratch the barrel upon removal.

runfiverun
06-23-2016, 11:32 PM
and a piece of leather with a VEE cut in it on/over the barrel/forearm for when you miss the punch.
I'd also soak the dovetail in some penetrating oil before giving it a go.
wish I knew the leather trick before I removed the sight from my old stevens, luckily my thumb partially blocked the hammer.

M-Tecs
06-23-2016, 11:33 PM
Dovetails are normally tapered so that sights go in from Right to Left, and out from Left to Right when viewed from breech to muzzle.

Four Fingers of Death
06-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Thanks. I had it *** backwards it seems.

shoot-n-lead
06-24-2016, 12:05 AM
Dovetails are normally tapered so that sights go in from Right to Left, and out from Left to Right when viewed from breech to muzzle.

In my experience, it is just the opposite....out to the left and in to the right. I think some go one way and some go the other.

M-Tecs
06-24-2016, 12:36 AM
In my experience, it is just the opposite....out to the left and in to the right. I think some go one way and some go the other.

Good info on dovetails here. http://www.texas-mac.com/Browning_and_Winchester_BPCR_Dovetails.html

This is fairly standard for taper items like tapered pins & dovetails since the 1870's. Wedge pins on Colt cap & ball revolvers are opposite. Other than that I am interested in what other post 1870's items that don't follow the industrial norm's.

Credible links would be appreciated.

shoot-n-lead
06-24-2016, 12:52 AM
Good info on dovetails here. http://www.texas-mac.com/Browning_and_Winchester_BPCR_Dovetails.html

This is fairly standard for taper items like tapered pins & dovetails since the 1870's. Widge pins on Colt cap & ball revolvers are opposite. Other than that I am interested in what other post 1870's items that don't follow the industrial norm's.

Credible links would be appreciated.

I was talking sights...not pins...as the op was asking about sights, not pins.

My experience has been from drifting sights on more than a few guns...perhaps yours has been different...I don't know and don't really care.

Not interested in a pissing contest with you, but I know what I have encountered with the gun sights that I have changed out. I have had some go opposite, but more have gone out to the left, and in, to the right...for me.

And, I am speaking of looking at the gun, from the shooting position, not from facing the muzzle.

Four Fingers of Death
06-24-2016, 12:55 AM
Wellllllllllllllll, I'll proceed slowly, haha.

Scharfschuetze
06-24-2016, 01:19 AM
Thanks. I had it *** backwards it seems.

Your OK. It's the Coriolis Effect down under in Australia where you live that reverses everything. :)

From the dictionary:

On the earth, the effect tends to deflect moving objects to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern

Regarding sight dovetails on Model 94 Winchesters and their Marlin counterparts, I have always removed them from left to right (looking from the breach) and installed in reverse. Like the OP, I take 'em off in order to use an aperture sight.

Tatume
06-24-2016, 06:35 AM
Your OK. It's the Coriolis Effect down under in Australia where you live that reverses everything. :)

From the dictionary:

On the earth, the effect tends to deflect moving objects to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern

This assumes that you're looking towards the nearest Earth pole. The effect is actually in the same direction; it is the observer who has turned around.

Four Fingers of Death
06-24-2016, 06:47 AM
We are upside down as well! But, most of you guys are standing at 90degrees to starboard or port, depending on the time of day.

Four Fingers of Death
06-24-2016, 11:12 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Meanwhile%20in%20Australia%20train_zpsexy5sfk7.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Meanwhile%20in%20Australia%20train_zpsexy5sfk7.jpg .html)

runfiverun
06-24-2016, 02:38 PM
that 90* thing could explain all the headaches I get about this time of day.

pietro
06-24-2016, 08:06 PM

Drive the sight from the left = lefty/loosey

Drive the sight from the right = righty/tighty.

NSB
06-24-2016, 08:46 PM
I was talking sights...not pins...as the op was asking about sights, not pins.

My experience has been from drifting sights on more than a few guns...perhaps yours has been different...I don't know and don't really care.

Not interested in a pissing contest with you, but I know what I have encountered with the gun sights that I have changed out. I have had some go opposite, but more have gone out to the left, and in, to the right...for me.

And, I am speaking of looking at the gun, from the shooting position, not from facing the muzzle.
Well, you started a pissing contest and you're as wrong as you can get. They go out to the right and in to the left as you're looking down the barrel from the back (the way you hold it to shoot). Getting belligerent doesn't make you right and you've given bad advice. Like any question you ask on the internet you're going to get more than one answer. Seems easy enough, but it never works out. For reasons like this. Follow the links given on here directing you to someone who actually KNOWS what they're talking about.

MT Chambers
06-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Regardless if your Aussie or not, it depends on what end of the gun you're standing.

Guesser
06-24-2016, 09:06 PM
Just to get a gun in on this "pissing" contest I took a recently removed rear sight from a Winchester 94 and a Savage 99 and measured them. The are both the same dimension, either side. No taper, repeat, no taper.....

M-Tecs
06-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Depending on the manufacturer sight dovetails maybe tapered or parallel. If tapered the taper can be in the dovetail cut or the sight. Some of the parallel sights have a short leade angle on the left side to aid in instalation.

On tapered dovetails or sights the amount of taper is minimal. If you assume all are tapered and follow standardized installation/removal procedures you will always be correct. If it's tapered and you drive it out the wrong way it may be lose for the next install.

Whether 55, 60 or 65 degree dovetails measuring .0005" to .004" taper is not as simple as measuring across the high points of the sight base with a caliper.

I am currently out of town fishing and shooting prairie dogs and I only have my phone so I am somewhat challenged posting links but a little time on Google will give you lots of info.

I cut all my firearm dovetails parallel and if the sight base isn't tapered I use dovetail files to cut a short leade angle on the sight.

TXGunNut
06-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Most of my old Winchesters have taper. I keep a card in the top of my spare parts box: "Out: L-R, In: R-L". Reminds me of an old accounting joke. ;-) "Debits on the left, credits on the right."

Four Fingers of Death
06-25-2016, 12:12 AM
I studied accountancy as a young man (pity I didn't hang in there and complete it, I might still have all my teeth and a better class of gun, haha). This is a classic Accountant's joke:

A young man was employed as a clerk's assistant in a big accountant's office. He noticed that every now and then, the cheif accountant would remove a key from his vest, open the drawer, remove a piece of paper and study it for a few moments before locking it back in the drawer again. He was a good worker, very diligent and studied hard and progressed through the ranks as a clerk, senior clerk, finished his studies and became a junior accountant, then accountant then senior accountant, finally he moved right to the front of front of the office, to the desk immediately in front of the chief accountant's office. Right through his career, the chief could be seen removing the paper, studying it and then returning it and locking the drawer. This had always fascinated the young man and now as middle aged man, he was still none the wiser.

One day out of the blue, just before finishing time, the boss called him in and said that his wife had taken ill and that he was taking a couple of months off and for him to take over in his absence. He grabbed his overcoat and hat off the rack and wished him luck and started to leave the office. At the door, he stopped and turned, fished the keys out of his pocket and handed them over saying 'Sorry, I almost forgot.' He then left. As soon as the chief was out of the building, he studied the keys, selected the small one, opened the drawer and removed the old piece of paper and opened it. As he was about to read the note, he noticed the eyes of everyone in the office on him. "The Credit column is the one closest to the window." was written on the note. He nodded gravely, replaced the note, locked the drawer, placed the keys in his pocket and looked up at the staff and doing his best not to smile, barked 'back to work!'

Some secrets are best kept secrets.

too many things
06-25-2016, 12:32 AM
you would find it hard to drive a sight out of a win by driving it from the right . same for the front too hard wood dowel works better than a brass punch

robg
07-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Had trouble getting the front sigh out of my 94 warmed it with a hair drier sliped out much easier.I use a plastic drift .

Four Fingers of Death
07-04-2016, 05:07 AM
The hair dryer would softeen any crud build up I suppose, good tip, thanks.

Tatume
07-04-2016, 06:55 AM
The hair dryer would softeen any crud build up I suppose, good tip, thanks.

Play the heat on the barrel to expand the dovetail but not the sight.