PDA

View Full Version : I came home with a CZ 455 American today.

tazman
06-23-2016, 09:18 PM
I bought a brand new CZ 455 American in 22LR a couple of days ago and brought it home today. Since it was still early, I took it to the range and shot it about 100 rounds.
I went directly from the gun shop to the range. Installed my scope and rings at the range. Got it centered in about 10 shots.
I shot 12 different types of ammunition through it to get an idea what it liked. I found 4 types that are going to required further testing as they shot extremely well at 25 yards.
Here are the targets. All were 5 shot groups at 25 yards rested. It was windy today so the groups may be a bit larger than they would have been otherwise.
Each target is marked with the ammo used.
The Federal HV Match and the Norma Match shot the best with CCI mini mags and Federal auto match coming in close behind. The auto match had one flier ruin an otherwise excellent group for me. I don't know if I pulled it or the wind got me, but I think it deserves another chance.
I was expecting the RWS target ammo to do better than it did, but the rifle decides what it likes.
None of the ammunition shot really poorly. All would take squirrels at appropriate ranges.
Next time I need to move back to 50 yards.
I was considering buying an ultra lux, but after looking down the sights on a number of rifles, I decided my old eyes just weren't up to it any more. Since I was going with optics, I decided to get a rifle that was set up for optics from the start. I am not disappointed in this rifle at all. I made no changes at all to anything other than installing the scope.
I may need to consider getting a better, higher magnification scope. The one I put on this rifle was a cheap Tasco. It served well enough to get a feel for the rifle. I am thinking it deserves a better scope. Any suggestions?

Mk42gunner
06-23-2016, 11:20 PM
I like Leupold scopes, although the few Nikon's I have used weren't bad either. Take all this with a grain or two of salt as I haven't bought a new scope for about ten years.

Robert

Jeff Michel
06-24-2016, 05:59 AM
I have Leupold 3x9 on my 455 and it works pretty well. Parallax is a bit of a problem, if you would consider going that route, if you return your scope to Leupold, they can change the parallax to match a .22 rimfire. There may be a fee involved, but I honestly can't remember.

bosterr
06-24-2016, 06:46 AM
I have a 4X16 Weaver in Leupold Bases and high rings on my 455 American and like that set up. There's a sweet spot in torque on the action screws that I found over on Rimfire Central. I bought a wide assortment of target grade ammo, but got a bunch of Federal Auto Match to refine my bench technique. I didn't start testing the ammo in my assortment yet, the Federal will do dime sized groups most of the time at 50 yds. A Yo Dave trigger kit is the bees knees and it's easy to install.

tazman
06-24-2016, 08:04 AM
The trigger on this rifle is better than any I have ever shot right out of the box. I won't say it can't get better, just that I haven't used anything better. My experience on rifle triggers is somewhat limited.
Until I get to shooting dime sized or smaller at 50 yards, I don't think I will mess with the mechanics of the rifle.

Silver Eagle
06-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Try to get some Wolf Match ammo. CZ's seem to like it. There are trigger kits out there for them. Yodave is one of them.

tazman
06-29-2016, 04:53 PM
I am currently unable to locate any Wolf match ammo. I will try some if I can find it.
I have been trying different brands and styles of 22 ammo in this rifle with some success but not as much as you would think. Most match ammo doesn't group all that well in my CZ. I have tried ELEY, RWS, NORMA, and Federal in the match grade. The Norma did very well. The Federal did outstanding. The others, not so much.
I made another trip to the range today. After 3 days of lots of rounds through the rifle, I am now getting bughole groups at 50 yards with the Federal Gold Medal HV match. Edge to edge under .5 inches 5 shot groups consistently. I haven't tried it at 100 yards yet.
The Federal 22 Auto-Match is very nearly as good as the HV match. At 25 yards I was shooting the auto match at 30 caliber bullet holes in the target faces and 9 times out of 10, I was not enlarging the holes.
The best part is both of these types shoot to the same point of impact out to 50 yards.
Most of the other types/brands of ammo don't do any better than quarter size groups at 50 yards and the centers of the groups are all over the place. Some as much as 2 inches off to the side or low.
The Remington bulk hollow points shot well enough and close enough to point of aim that I can use them for squirrels. They will do minute of head shot at 50 yards.
Now I just need to find a good supply of the Federal HV Match so I can stock up.

Ickisrulz
07-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Try to get some Wolf Match ammo. CZ's seem to like it. There are trigger kits out there for them. Yodave is one of them.

Wolf Match Extra and SK Plus are the same product. My CZ 452 does very well on the stuff. Essentially one hole at 50 yards off shooting sticks and a 4x scope (10 shots).

Doc Highwall
07-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Tazman, how many shots did you fire of each brand, and did you clean the barrel between brands?

As far as scopes go the latest one that I bought was a scope that Midway had made for them, by BSA and it really is a great scope for the money. It is a 4X-14X44mm MIL-MIL scope with 1/10 mil clicks. I bought one for my Remington 40X chambered in 22Lr., and I bought another three for other guns. I was able to see 22Lr. bullet holes in the white at 200 yards with the sun on the target. Here is a link to it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/bsa-tactical-mil-mil-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-14x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-mrad-reticle-matte

Wow, I just saw them last week for $250 with free delivery.

tazman
07-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Tazman, how many shots did you fire of each brand, and did you clean the barrel between brands?

As far as scopes go the latest one that I bought was a scope that Midway had made for them, by BSA and it really is a great scope for the money. It is a 4X-14X44mm MIL-MIL scope with 1/10 mil clicks. I bought one for my Remington 40X chambered in 22Lr., and I bought another three for other guns. I was able to see 22Lr. bullet holes in the white at 200 yards with the sun on the target. Here is a link to it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/bsa-tactical-mil-mil-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-14x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-mrad-reticle-matte

Wow, I just saw them last week for $250 with free delivery.

I didn't clean the barrel between groups. That said, during the last two trips to the range, I shot at least 5 groups with any specific type/brand of ammo before I switched to another type in order for the gun to get acclimated to the different bullet lube.
Some of the groups got tighter the more groups I shot in succession. With others it didn't matter. The groups stayed the same size. I found that much depended on what type of lube was on the previous type of ammo.
The wet/oily lubes took the longest to get tight groups after shooting a waxy lube before. Usually about the third group before it settled in.
When following plated bullet groups with anything, it often didn't need to be acclimated to get the best groups I was going to get with that ammo since there apparently wasn't any lube in the barrel. When following oily lube with plated ammo, I would often get a single flyer then the rest would go into the tightest group I would get.
With one exception(Norma match), I got my best groups with unplated bullets with dry, wax lube. Some of the plated bullets did nearly as well.
I just picked up some CCI standard velocity that I am going to try out the next trip to the range, perhaps later today.
I now have a much better scope on the rifle which undoubtedly accounts somewhat for the better groups. I put a Bushnell Banner 4-12X40mm with adjustable objective on the rifle. Now I can actually see precisely where I am aiming out to 100 yards. I am thinking of getting an 8-24X44mm with adjustable objective for the longer ranges.

Doc Highwall
07-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Tazman, I have been shooting the Norma TAC-22 for practice with my Anschutz and using Norma Match for my prone matches. My Anschutz has a tuner and I don't want to change it to shoot the Norma TAC-22. I did tune my Remington 40X to shoot the Norma TAC-22 and it shoots great. A friend of mine is using it for the Tuesday night matches, and Steve so far has shot a 399-30X, 400-30X, and a 400-31X out of a possible 400-40X.

tazman
07-04-2016, 10:36 PM
I got to the range today and the results were very good. The CCI standard velocity shot well but to a significantly different impact point than the Federal HV match.
I tried the federal at 100 yards today. I had a nice calm day with no wind to fight which made for excellent shooting. Of course the impact point was way low on the target but since I needed a good aiming point I just measured the group size.
I shot 4 different 5 shot groups. The largest measures 1.5 inches. The smallest was 1.1 inches. The other two groups were about 1.25 inches. The smallest group would have been better except for a called flier that I simply pulled off. Too much excitement I guess.
I am seriously impressed with what this rifle is capable of. I located and purchased a 6-24X scope and a set of compatible rings. I am going to mount it and use this setup for long range shooting with this rifle. I think the extra visibility will enhance my aiming precision at the longer ranges.
DOC HIGHWALL--- what does the bullseye and X ring on the bench rest 100 yard target measure for the 22lr rifles?

Doc Highwall
07-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Tazman, the 10 ring is two inches and the X ring is one inch.

tazman
07-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks for that information. Now I have an idea what I am doing.

Doc Highwall
07-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Tazman, are you going to do a torque test with the bedding screw. If you are, shoot enough of one brand of ammo through it to condition the bore. Then start with 10-15 inch Lb. and work up in 5 inch Lb. increments, and DON'T EXCEED 40 inch Lbs. with a wood stock or you will crush the wood fibers.

Somewhere in there you will see the gun start to shoot smaller and smaller groups, then it will start to shoot larger groups. Look to eliminate vertical stringing, and make sure your bench set up is not causing vertical fliers.

Making sure of the gun's natural point of aim both in horizontal and vertical before squeezing the trigger goes a long way in decreasing group size. Think of it as group therapy.:smile:

tazman
07-05-2016, 04:32 PM
I don't have a torque wrench that works in inch lbs.
Not sure I even need to do this since the gun shoots so well with the ammo I have been using. The groups are round with no vertical or horizontal stringing with the match ammo.
Some of the other ammo showed some horizontal stringing but it also shot to a different impact point.

Doc Highwall
07-05-2016, 07:35 PM
If you have to take it out of the stock, or over time the wood swells or shrinks, the barrel will vibrate differently.

This is the wrench that I use for mounting scopes and doing torque tests.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718023/wheeler-engineering-fat-firearm-accurizing-torque-torque-wrench-screwdriver

tazman
07-05-2016, 09:39 PM
I didn't know that would matter. How much difference is there with different torque settings?

Doc Highwall
07-05-2016, 10:53 PM
I bought a Remington 40X barreled action late last year and I mounted it into a H-S Precision stock and mounted this scope

and I tested it with a starting torque of 15 inch Lbs. and worked all the way up to 65 inch Lbs. I got good groups at 35 inch Lbs. and 65 inch Lbs. and was able to shoot a 2" 5 shot group at 200 yards showing now vertical stringing. I was also impress that I was able to see my bullet holes at 200 yards using this scope at 14 power. All the torque testing was with the Norma TAC-22 ammo.

The scope was on sale for $250 with free shipping, I bought 4 of them total.

Right now I have taken the scope off so my friend Steve can shoot "F" class matches, using a front rest, and a rear bag. The rifle has a Leupold VXIII 8.5X-25X50mm scope so he can have a little better aiming precision. Tonight he shot his worst score a 398-32X so I can confidently say it makes a difference.

tazman
07-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Looks like I have some work and testing to do.

Rustyleee
07-06-2016, 12:07 AM
If you check youtube there are instructions there on how to adjust paralex on a big bore scope to .22 distances
When I was tuning my 10/22 bull barrel I tried different brands of ammo and would run a bore snake thru it between brands. After the bore snake, I'd run 10 rounds of the new ammo to season the bore, then check for group size. I think what really maters is to be consistent in your testing methods.

Doc Highwall
07-06-2016, 12:14 PM
The only trouble with changing the parallax using a spanner wrench is it leaves marks, and has to be changed for each distance that you shoot at. I would rather just buy a scope that has the adjustment designed into it.

I shoot matches where you have to shoot 25,50,75, and 100 yards combined, with a side match at 200 yards. No way am I going to have to use tools to change parallax back and forth.

Doc Highwall
07-06-2016, 12:15 PM
Tazman, that just give you an excuse to go shooting..............I would be glad to go shooting again, and again.

tazman
07-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Rustyleee--My scope has focus/parallax adjustment for different ranges built in so that is not a worry.

Doc Highwall---I went shooting again today. I acquired a 6-24x scope and an extra set of rings so I can switch scopes as needed. I mounted it on the rifle and sighted it in. When I got it adjusted for 100 yards I found I hadn't brought extra HV Match ammo with me so I only had enough to shoot 4 groups. I also found some targets I can print out that have 2 inch centers.
Anyway, the HV match continues to be the most consistent ammo for this rifle. I shot 20 shots at the 2 inch bullseyes and hit the bullseye 17 of the shots. The other three were very near misses. Considering I am an untrained newbie at this, I think I did very well. I had some cross wind that was playing games with the range so that is something else I need to get a handle on.
One of the targets had all 5 shots in a group in the center about the size of a nickel. The others not so much.

The other ammo I have been trying, shoots good groups out to 50 yards. Beyond that, the groups spread dramatically. It doesn't seem to matter if I am using standard velocity, subsonic, high velocity, or match. Groups average about 3-4 inches at 100 yards. A few shots will group well but flyers will open the group substantially. The biggest problem is the different impact points of the types of ammo. They print left and right as well as up and down, so I can't just use the mil dots in the scope for hold over/under.
At 50 yards the groups average about the size of a quarter. At 25 yards the groups are dime size or smaller. With the HV Match I get half inch at 50 yards and bugholes at 25.

At the end of the day, I switched the scope back to the one I had been using before. I checked to see if it was on target by shooting a couple of 50 yard groups with it. It was dead on, so that part worked well.
Still, this rifle shows a lot of promise. Perhaps with some further practice, I will learn to shoot to it's capabilities.

Doc Highwall
07-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Tazman, all the match ammo that I shoot is subsonic giving less wind drift at 100 yards then high velocity ammo. Also none of it is copper plated.

When I do a torque test it is with a ammo that is of a known accuracy like the Norma TAC-22 that is 1085.09 fps average velocity, E.S. 45.18 fps and a S.D. 8.58 fps, at 60 deg for 100 shots, out of my Remington 40X with a 18" barrel.

With a sample size of 100 shots not 10 or 20 shots, I know that it is a good lot of ammo. I chronograph-ed the ammo while doing the torque tests at the same time. This way if a shot went way out of the group, I would be able to read the velocity at the same time, and know if it was the round, or the torque setting that caused it.

longranger
07-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Owning the same rifle and few other CZ rimfires all of my CZ .22's love the Federal Auto Match.The Leopold 6X14X40 .AO scope is as nearly perfect as you can get considering price and quality glass.this scope is often found on sale at the usual outlets.
Rimfire Central CZ section is excellent on what accuracy enhancements are beneficial. I have replaced all of the springs in the bolts and action screws.These two items were considered nearly mandatory for better accuracy and getting consistent torques,flat head screw as opposed to a Torx.

tazman
07-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Tazman, all the match ammo that I shoot is subsonic giving less wind drift at 100 yards then high velocity ammo. Also none of it is copper plated.

When I do a torque test it is with a ammo that is of a known accuracy like the Norma TAC-22 that is 1085.09 fps average velocity, E.S. 45.18 fps and a S.D. 8.58 fps, at 60 deg for 100 shots, out of my Remington 40X with a 18" barrel.

With a sample size of 100 shots not 10 or 20 shots, I know that it is a good lot of ammo. I chronograph-ed the ammo while doing the torque tests at the same time. This way if a shot went way out of the group, I would be able to read the velocity at the same time, and know if it was the round, or the torque setting that caused it.

I tried changing the tightness/torque on the bolt today just to see what happened. I started just snug and tightened it in steps until it was nearly as tight as I could get it using a screwdriver type handle with a bit(I don't have a torque wrench yet). When I reached the tightest level, suddenly the groups got really tight.
I then tested other ammo to see if things changed there as well. They did. All brands of standard velocity and match were shooting great groups at 50 yards and the impact points were much closer to the sight in point than before.
All the match ammo was shooting one half inch or less at 50 yards. The second tier ammo(auto match and CCI standard velocity) was shooting nearly as well(good cheap practice there). I was aiming at the center of a 2 inch bullseye and none of the groups were outside the bullseye. That was a lot different than before and could be easily corrected for.
I didn't do any testing at 100 today. That was reserved for centerfire.

Doc Highwall
07-15-2016, 05:09 PM
Glad to hear you got some testing in, I guess you are convinced the the torque does make a difference.

I went out shooting with Gary today, and he is doing a torque test with his new to him Anschutz 54 topped off with a Weaver T36 scope. Earlier in the week he found that the best torque was around 30 inch lbs with his gun. He started at 20 inch lbs and worked up in 5 lb increments to 40 inch lbs. the best groups were at 25, 30, and 35. Today he was trying 27.5 lbs and 32.5 lbs and comparing them against the 30 inch lb setting. The ammo that was used for the tests is Norma TAC-22.

His first tests were just 5 shot groups, then 10 shot groups, and now he is working on averages of four 10 shot groups, the same as a match.

tazman
07-15-2016, 05:28 PM
This new setting really opened up my options as far as what ammo shoots well in this gun. I guess the next step is to get a good, reliable torque wrench and find out what my setting is.
Thanks for telling me about this.
tazman.

Doc Highwall
07-15-2016, 10:43 PM
Tazman, this is the torque wrench that I use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718023/wheeler-engineering-fat-firearm-accurizing-torque-torque-wrench-screwdriver

tazman
07-25-2016, 05:10 PM
After several trips to the range and many bullets downrange, I am very happy with this rifle. I am consistently getting 1/2 inch groups or smaller at 50 yards with this rifle. With match ammunition, the groups are smaller yet.
As usual, the better grades of ammunition perform better, but it shoots around 3/4 inch even with the poorer grades of ammo.
I thank you all for your advice and recommendations that caused me to purchase this rifle.
tazman