PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new 1911

jrayborn
06-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Well I picked up a stainless Dan Wesson 1911, the Valor. Haven't shot it yet but so far all I can really say is WOW. Seems really nice, tight and well fit.

str8wal
06-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Congratulations, BUT:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/s4s4u/worthless_zps0c2f4854.jpg (http://s99.photobucket.com/user/s4s4u/media/worthless_zps0c2f4854.jpg.html)
;)

jrayborn
06-24-2016, 05:48 AM
ha ha, here we go:

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy261/jrayborn32/ffcf293d-474f-4ccb-a53d-d2f2fff46fd0_zps0if1otoc.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/jrayborn32/media/ffcf293d-474f-4ccb-a53d-d2f2fff46fd0_zps0if1otoc.jpg.html)

LUCKYDAWG13
06-24-2016, 06:43 AM
nice looking pistol congrats

str8wal
06-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Sweet! Looking forward to the range report.

Char-Gar
06-24-2016, 10:36 AM
If that pistol had an arched mainspring housing, it would be nigh on to perfect.

farmersamm
06-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Nice!

Only one word of advice.........

GREASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!170864

I never clean my 1911, I just repack it;):mrgreen:

jrayborn
06-24-2016, 12:32 PM
You guys are awesome, thank you. Hope to give it a little work out this weekend if things go well.

DougGuy
06-24-2016, 12:50 PM
If that pistol had an arched mainspring housing, it would be nigh on to perfect.

Depends on the shooter Charles.

jrayborn HERE is the ultimate 1911 mainspring housing test. Stand at the Weaver stance, looking straight ahead, extend the arm holding the pistol straight out to the side, fully extended at shoulder height, now turn your head and look at the sights. IF the gun fits you, the sights will be pretty dang near aligned. If the front sight is not visible because it's low, you probably need an arched MSH.

Your pistol should be a natural extension of your forearm, so that it shoots to wherever your forearm is pointed. For a defensive carry pistol, I consider the above test *mandatory* to qualify for carry.

DougGuy
06-24-2016, 02:18 PM
dat be odd test you can trained to shoot anything why would you cinsider test mandatory?

Because in a fight where you are physically holding off an adversary with one hand you HAVE to point shoot and it is critical that you be able to do that with a fair degree of accuracy WITHOUT thinking about it. It needs to be done by reflex. It should come as second nature. Also in the dark you may not have time or enough light to use sights. Training takes practice and discipline, my way takes nothing but holding the forearm where you want the boolit to go.

I can't use a Glock. If I do the point test the front sight is up in the treeline. I have a S&W J frame model 37, I use grips with open back so the steel gripframe is in my palm and it points perfectly. Other grips that enclose the backstrap have the front sight aiming up in the sky somewhere. This is not good for a defensive carry gun. Your defensive firearm should point and act like a natural extension of your arm. If it don't, somebody needs to do some homework.

Edit: I have two 1911s, one is a Commander size with 4.25" barrel. This pistol wears a flat mainspring housing, standard WWII style grip safety and points perfectly. The sights are dead on if I point it out and then turn my head. The other 1911 is a 5" Government model, it too has the standard WWII style grip safety, but the added weight and length at the muzzle allows me to use an arched mainspring housing on this one and it points perfectly. I tried it with a flat housing and the front sight is a tad low but aligns correctly with an arched housing. It's ALL about how it fits in the hand and shooting is all about the ergonomics of the person holding the gun, grip, stance, eyes, etc. Anything that makes this as natural as it can be usually works quite well.

DougGuy
06-24-2016, 02:36 PM
you can no point gun at person who be arm length away when defending with one hand?

Who is to say the person you are aiming at is the one you are pushing away from? You may be aiming at someone else and using your off side arm to shove someone out of the way so you can shoot. You CANNOT pigeonhole your expected reaction into any sense of expectation. Things rarely go down as you imagine they might.

I bet many dollar you close eyes and point shoot with you gun you miss b2 target all times at 10 meters.

You'd be in pretty sad shape if YOU were that target.. Just sayin'

rugerdude
06-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Great choice! The DW Valor is an excellent 1911. Probably some of the best fitted production guns going right now judging from the experiences of folks I know. My DW Panther is one of the early Bob Serva era guns, but functions flawlessly and is a great shooter.

str8wal
06-24-2016, 04:30 PM
dat be odd test you can trained to shoot anything why would you cinsider test mandatory?

Pointability should be something that requires no training. If the gun comes to line of sight naturally it is one less item to be concerned with. Why welome another obstacle to overcome when it is something that can be remedied with a minor change in the grip.

turtlezx
06-24-2016, 04:31 PM
didnt realize the factory is only 50 miles from me !! (NORWICH )NY

didnt think ny made anything
surprized they havent headed outta state like some of remington
THANX COMMO !!

Half Dog
06-24-2016, 04:35 PM
I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your target. I feel like I just bought one. Please share soon.

WFO2
06-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Nice 1911 . One of my favorite all time pistols .