PDA

View Full Version : $99 Oster Large Convection Oven Temperature Accruacy Question

rototerrier
06-23-2016, 06:31 AM
Bought this nice new Oster because I've seen it highly recommended in the forums for PC curing. I've also seen, multiple times, that it runs 25 degrees lower on convection.

I've not witnessed this. I have an oven thermometer sitting on the rack, right next to my PC, and the thermometer always matches the digital setting. It fluctuates a little when you open the door and swap out batches, but always settles right back on 400.

Did I get lucky and hit the convection oven lottery, or is there something scientific going on about convection and temps that I'm not aware of.

400 = 400 to me.

But are people suggesting that the air blowing around in there requires a higher temperature of 425 to equal a true 400 degrees? Or is mine really at 400 and I should leave it there?

I know this seems like a silly question, but I'm not a cook and know very little about convection ovens and just want to get my facts straight to ensure everything turns out perfect.

I've attached a photo to show exactly what I mean. This bake has been going for just about 20 minutes with an assortment of Smokes powders. As you can see it's reading just slightly over 400, but not by much. I'd considered, just maybe, my thermometer is off by exactly 25 degrees, but that seems unlikely in this instance.

farmerjim
06-23-2016, 06:40 AM
Mine works fine. 400=400. I do kick it up to 450 before I load it and then turn it back down to 400.
There are no bad hot or cold spots. All my boolits gloss over within seconds of each other.

mold maker
06-23-2016, 11:15 AM
As far as convection versus regular ovens, the advantage is equal temps throughout.
If you're getting a full cure, it's doing its job
If your temp indicators match their either correct or you are double lucky. Either way, it's only the results that matter.