PDA

View Full Version : The brisket

jballs918
05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
ok guys i know that there are a million ways to prepare this. heres the dish i'm going to have a party on this saturday 23 may i think lol. and i want to make a brisket. i'm looking at a 15-20 pounder. beef. now i want to see some of the verious ways that you all have come up with. the more info the better. like type of woods used for smoking, spices, suaces everything. i want ot know. i have a few recipes but i want ot see what i can come up with to blow these peoples socks off. i'm coming to the well i want ot see what you all can do. so game on :-D

MT Gianni
05-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Dry rub, hickory wood and sauce on the side. I buy cheap bbq sauce and add spices to taste. Lemon juice, garlic, pepper, celery salt and on occasion vinegar. Gianni

waksupi
05-19-2008, 08:23 PM
FOR THE RUB AND BRISKET:
1/4 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 tablespoons pure chile powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 center-cut piece beef brisket (5 to 6 pounds)
FOR THE MOP SAUCE:
1 cup beer
1 cup apple cider
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup coffee
1/3 cup beef or chicken stock (preferably homemade)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce or another hot sauce
2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea), or more to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 slices bacon (optional)
Jim’s Really Easy and Really Good Barbecue Sauce (recipe follows)

You’ll also need:
4 to 6 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably hickory or maple), soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained

1. MAKE THE RUB: Place the salt, brown sugar, paprika, chile powder, pepper, onion and garlic powders, and oregano in a small bowl and stir to mix.

2. in the unlikely event your brisket comes covered with a thick layer of fat, trim it to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Place the brisket in a roasting pan and generously sprinkle both sides with the rub, using about 3 tablespoons per side and patting it onto the meat with your fingertips. (You’ll have about 3/4 cup more rub than you need for the brisket. The leftover rub will keep for several months in a jar.) You can cook the brisket right away, but it will be better if you let it cure with the rub in the refrigerator, covered, for several hours, or even a day ahead.

3. MAKE THE MOP SAUCE: Place the beer, cider, vinegar, coffee, stock, oil, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper in a nonreactive bowl and whisk to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt as necessary.

4. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center, preheat the grill to medium-low, then toss 1 cup of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

5. When ready to cook, place the brisket in the center of the hot grate, fat side up, over the drip pan and away from the heat. Drape the bacon slices, if using, over the top of the meat, then cover the grill. Cook the brisket until very tender, 5 to 6 hours (the cooking time will depend on the size of the brisket and the heat of the grill). To test for doneness, use an instant-read meat thermometer: The internal temperature should be about 190 degrees F. Generously mop or baste the meat on both sides with the mop sauce once an hour for the first 5 hours. If the brisket starts to brown too much, generously baste it with mop sauce, wrap it in aluminum foil, and continue cooking until done. If using a charcoal grill, every hour you’ll need to add 12 fresh coals and 1/2 cup of wood chips or chunks to each side.

6. Transfer the grilled brisket to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain, using an electric knife or sharp carving knife. Transfer the sliced meat to a platter. Spoon the barbecue sauce over the meat, or better yet, serve it on the side.

Another one,
* 1 12 pound beef brisket

for the seasoning paste:

* 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
* 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tablespoons apple juice or cider (or as needed)

for the rub:

* 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) paprika
* 3 tablespoons garlic powder
* 3 tablespoons celery salt
* 2 tablespoons salt
* 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons ground cumin
* 2 tablespoons pure chili powder
* 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
* 1 tablespoon dried oregano
* 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
* 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

for the mop sauce:

* 1 quart apple juice or apple cider
* 1 cup cider vinegar
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 to 1-1/2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce

You'll also need: 4 cups oak chips or chunks, soaked in water to cover for 1 hour, then drained. (Note: if using chunks in a smoker, you'll probably need more like 8 cups.)

1. Trim the outer layer of fat on the brisket so that about 1/4 inch remains. Cut out the pocket of fat between the flat and cap. Place the brisket in a foil or ceramic roasting pan.

2. Make the seasoning paste. Place the mustard, sugar, and garlic in a mixing bowl. Stir in enough apple juice to obtain a thick paste. (How thick? Like wallpaper paste, says Larry.) Spread half this paste over the brisket on both sides with a rubber spatula or your fingers. Let sit for 15 minutes. Spread the remaining paste over the brisket on both sides and let set for another 15 minutes.

3. Combine the ingredients for the rub in a bowl and stir to mix. Sprinkle the rub over the brisket on both sides, rubbing it into the meat with your fingertips. Cover the brisket and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.

4. Make the mop sauce. Combine the apple juice, vinegar, and salt in a large bowl and whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved.

5. Set up your grill for indirect grilling. If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips in the smoker box or a smoker pouch. Run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to low (275 degrees). If using a charcoal grill, preheat to low and toss 1 cup wood chunks on the coals. If using a smoker, fire it up according to the manufacturer's instructions.

6. Place the meat fat side up on the grill (away from the heat) or in the smoker. Cook it until handsomely browned, 3-1/2 to 4 hours. (The internal temperature will be about 165 degrees.) If using a charcoal grill, replenish the coals and wood every hour. Mop or baste the meat every hour with the mop sauce.

7. Generously brush the brisket on both sides with the barbecue sauce and tightly wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil. Continue cooking the brisket until very tender, another 3-1/2 to 4 hours, for a total of 7 to 8 hours cooking time. This will be easy in a smoker. It's a little more challenging to maintain such a low heat on a gas or charcoal grill-work at a higher heat if you have to, but shorten the cooking time. Partially unwrap the brisket to test for doneness, taking care not to spill the juices-the meat should be very dark and very tender, with an internal temperature of around 190 degrees. Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and let rest for at least 20 minutes.

8. Thinly slice the meat across the grain. Spoon the reserved juices over the brisket and serve at once. You could accompany the meat with your favorite barbecue sauce, but if you do so, serve it on the side. The brisket will be so phenomenal, you shouldn't distract the first taste with sauce.

StrawHat
05-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Are you looking for just BBQ recipes or can anyone chime in?

My wife makes a brisket in the crock pot, comes out tender and juicy, great for sandwiches.

One brisket of beef (not corned)

2 cups of Cola

1 bottle of Heinz Chili Sauce.

1 packet of onion soup mix.

Place brisket in Crock Pot

Combine cola, soup mix and chili sauce.

Pour over brisket.

Cook 8 - 10 hours on low heat setting.

Serve with vegetables or what ever you like.

About the easiest recipe I've ever seen and great tasting.

fatnhappy
05-21-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm on the same page as Waksupi, but my directions aren't quite as detailed.

Pick off any silver back membrane and trim the exterior fat (you want a well marbled brisket though) and inject it with apple juice or your marinade. My marinade is apple juice, salt and sodium nitrite.
There are about a billion dry rubs and more than 99% of them are great.
I smoke with apple wood myself. I'm in apple country and can get it everywhere, just soak well ahead of time so it smolders. Alder, hickory, oak, mesquite...... they're all good.
Get your smoker between 150-160° and keep it there. carefully roll and baste your brisket every 45 minutes or hour for the next 6 hours or so. round about 6 hours get your smoke box up to 190° and for the next 2 hours of flipping and basting check the internal temp. 165° is the recommended FDA temp IIRC. 155° ish is good by me.
Make sure you have plenty of beer. You might need to get your guests lubed ifin you need to buy yourself an extra hour or so in the smoker. It isn't quite an exact science. Buying a brisket today and practicing ahead of time ain't a bad idea. Just use live beer. Some training has to be authentic.
Rest your brisket for about 20 minutes before cutting and serving it.

BTW, we want an AAR.