PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1885 High wall in 30-40 Krag

Seabee1960
06-22-2016, 08:50 PM
Phase two of the Uberti Highwall:

Took the rifle to Cross Canyon Arms ( Ogden, Utah) to have the Unertl scope bases drilled and tapped, got talked into a blank to fill in the rear sight dove tail notch and then had the cartridge caliber engraved on the side of the barrel for future generations because the factory markings are under the rear scope base. A very good job but I am still in sticker shock. Planning an all day shooting event Friday at Wasatch Shooters association range in Davis County, Utah I am hoping this rifle is a tack driver. I bought a Hoch nose pour .30 mold some years back but could never tell how much better the bullets grouped because I was shooting them from an 1896 Infantry 170772 rifle. Looking forward to a report out with results. If you want good target bases give my friend Steve ( http://www.steveearleproducts.com/) a call. He makes the best on the market.

Mk42gunner
06-22-2016, 09:45 PM
I don't mind (much) paying for good work; I absolutely detest paying for shoddy workmanship.

Pretty rifle, I hope it shoots good for you.

Robert

tdoyka
06-23-2016, 07:13 AM
very nice rifle!!!

Hiwall55
06-25-2016, 07:44 PM
I have a Shiloh Sharps in 30/40 and it's a real tack driver with a Lyman 311284-210 grain RN. Hope yours shoots well, Bill

Ballistics in Scotland
06-26-2016, 06:53 AM
You may be using and cherishing this one when that sticker price is the price of a new pair of socks. Most people seem to thing a High Wall has to be in a large black powder But you have got a modern cartridge, which Jeff Cooper said was about as good for conventional use as any we have today, and which was in use in the great days of the High Wall's popularity.

Hiwall55
06-26-2016, 10:15 PM
Took mine to a local club match today, handgun and rifle shoot at 50 and 100 yards offhand, and came in at second place for open sights. When I got it out to sight it in I shot one time and hit the X right in the middle. My spotter said that's good to go!