PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Browning Lever Action never do well in the market? Take down model also?

Just Duke
06-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Why did the "BLR" Browning Lever Action never do well in the market? Take down model also?
I think a .358 Winchester would be a good go to rifle with a Scout Scope mount

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2anlLquHQig

osteodoc08
06-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Id venture a guess at cost and small market (relatively speaking).

osteodoc08
06-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Wait, are you talking about the BLR or the 1886 line?

The 1886 was pricey, but not unreasonable for what you get. Most just don't want to pay for it. An example is the Pedersoli 1886 rifle line they came out with recently $1750-2000.

The BLR is a fine lever but not "traditional" and also cost more than a used 94 or Marlin. It definitely has an advantage in being able to use spite pointed bullets due to its magazine.

bruce drake
06-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Henry has their version of the BLR out this year. They are calling it their Long Ranger. 243, 308 and 223Rem.
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

Looking at GunsAmerica and GunBroker, their (Henry) cost new is equivalent to the used Browning BLR prices.

Its the first year for the Henry but I'm interested to see how they shoot.

M-Tecs
06-22-2016, 04:49 PM
While chambered in bolt gun calibers they don't have the same level of accuracy, lock time or trigger pull. They don't have the same rate of fire of the semi-autos. Most don't find them as handy as 94's or 336's.

UKShootist
06-22-2016, 06:10 PM
I can answer that question. I'm in the process of buying one at the present. The rifle is, by all accounts, accurate and reliable. The one problem it has is stripping it down, or rather, reassembling it. It is one holy cow to get back together. It works on a rack and pinion gearing system and timing is extremely difficult to get right. Many gunsmiths won't touch them with a barge pole. I'm pretty sure that is the main reason. The rifle handles delightfully otherwise. I'm hoping mine will be sorted soon.

Just Duke
06-22-2016, 06:15 PM
A BLR in 450 Marlin and pointy bullets would be good.

UKShootist
06-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Henry has their version of the BLR out this year. They are calling it their Long Ranger. 243, 308 and 223Rem.
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

Looking at GunsAmerica and GunBroker, their (Henry) cost new is equivalent to the used Browning BLR prices.

Its the first year for the Henry but I'm interested to see how they shoot.

I'm feeling Gunlust coming on. Henry make good guns.

W.R.Buchanan
06-22-2016, 06:21 PM
I think the main reason is the look of the gun. It's a lever gun but it really doesn't look like most Leverguns. It also works differently than most other conventional Leverguns and the rack and pinion mechinism is unfamiliar to many people as it relates to this gun. They are simply a non conventional gun.

The Takedown Feature is an added bonus for someone who travels.

I like these guns a lot, but one in a caliber I want has never crossed my path. I look at new ones every year at SHOT but I don't want a new one.

Randy

Scharfschuetze
06-22-2016, 08:54 PM
My father bought one for himself back when they first came out in about 1967 or so. My brother and I had Model 94 Winchester (and an SMLE) so the BLR was most impressive in 308 Winchester and the smoothness of its action was a revelation.

While I could see its benefits, I never could warm up to that rifle. It just didn't seem to fit well in the Rocky Mountains where I grew up hunting. It was close, but like the Browning .22LR lever gun that came along later, it just wasn't what I was looking for.

One of my favorite family photos though, is my Dad holding that rifle while out hunting for deer. I have no idea whatever happened to it. Probably got traded for something else while I was deployed somewhere.

What I really would have liked back then (and now) was a Model 88 Winchester in 308. Poor me... I never got one of those either.

wv109323
06-22-2016, 11:44 PM
Not a concern with the newer models but the price of a magazine for some of the older ones are $150 or so if you can find one.

Rustyleee
06-23-2016, 01:15 AM
I've always heard the triggers were terrible and no one will work on them.

Lloyd Smale
06-23-2016, 08:06 AM
My guess is the typical lever gun buyer (not the typical cast bullet guy from this fourm) considers a lever gun a basic hunting tool and when you can pick up marlins and Winchesters much cheaper that's the route then go. Most real serious long range shooters bypass the lever guns and go to bolt guns so the fact that there chambered in flat shooting rounds isn't the big selling point some think. My dads dream gun was allways a blr in 308. So when he retired many years ago I bought him one. I don't think hes shot a deer with it past 75 yards and could have done all his hunting with his old marlin 3030 and never noticed the difference. Id guess the majority of blrs serve the same purpose.

UKShootist
06-23-2016, 09:31 AM
It's got a trigger, it goes bang, it shoots bullets. I want at least one.

Texas by God
06-24-2016, 03:22 PM
If it was introduced in the late 60's and revised in 1981 and is still manufactured; it IS a success. The .308 (Belgian) I had wasn't as accurate as my Marlin 30-30 so away it went. Neat guns, though. Duke I agree on the .450 Marlin; that's an awesome cartridge. Best, Thomas.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-24-2016, 04:16 PM
I still see a lot of new BLRs on gunbroker. They must be doing fairly well in the market or they wouldn't be making them. Personally I don't care for the BLR action. The throw on the lever is odd to me, especially the way the whole trigger moves with it. If I want a lever action I want something traditional, as in flat points, tube magazines, and iron sights. If I want pointed bullets and a scope there are tons of really good bolt actions out there.

nekshot
06-24-2016, 05:52 PM
In the early seventies I had one in 358. Handles as good or better than my 94 or 336. I really did like and gave it to a young fellow wanting to start hunting. I should have given him another one and kept the BLR, but I like to give quality gifts! The only complaint I had was it really had a nasty kick. The 358 with 250 Hornady's I believe they were never expanded in the deer I shot with it, but it did the job. I would take a early one in a heart beat if I wanted a lever and found one. 7-08 would be sweet in one!

Shawlerbrook
06-24-2016, 05:59 PM
I agree with cost and looks as the reasons for lack of popularity. Also, many uninformed shooters shun all lever actions .

Drm50
06-24-2016, 06:59 PM
I've hand two BLRs. The first was a new in hard case, 243 with Browning 3x9 scope. My dad bought it from guy who won it at Legion drawing. Worked slick, shot good- we shot a lot of
groundhogs with it that summer. Later in 70s I ended up with a 308 on a trade. Never hunted
with it, but found it to be dependable and accurate rifle.

Scharfschuetze
06-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Do you guys remember the Sako "Finnwolf" lever action rifle of the 60s? It was another modern lever action rifle chambered for some hot cartridges. It never took off either, at least that I could see. They now bring a pretty penny on the used gun market.

MT Chambers
06-24-2016, 09:00 PM
I'd give body parts for a Finnwolf, not so for the Browning, we had alot of BLRs come into the shop, usually something associated with the gear driven lever, or someone trying to reassemble one.

izzyjoe
06-24-2016, 11:01 PM
Most deer hunters want a cheap accurate rifle, and one that looks good. The Brownings are not cheap,but they are accurate. I've only know one man that has one in 270 wsm, and he loves it!

lead-1
06-28-2016, 12:37 AM
the BLR was most impressive in 308 Winchester and the smoothness of its action was a revelation.

I have to agree with this, a friend of mine had one of the BLR's in .308 Win and not only was it smooth and accurate, the trigger was super for a lever action. This was my opinion anyway and not to mention it was a sharp looking lever gun.

OnHoPr
06-28-2016, 02:32 PM
IMO a number of reasons. Levers, pumps, and autos are generally indicative of east of the big muddy. Bolts are country wide. Most hunters country wide since the '50s probably couldn't keep a 4" group @ 100 yds even with a good shootin Mod 700. You know the ones that get their couple of boxes of ammo two weeks before season on sale at Dick's, Kmart, or Dunham's. They also spend the first weekend sitting on a salt block. The cals it is available in really isn't necessary for them along with the recoil of a lot of the cals available along with the expense even though the people can be spendy. Something like the group of hunters that were in the "Deer Hunter". So, back in the '80s the 94, 336, or 110 on sale at the above stores was good enough. Though and as well, back in the '60s & '70s when the 308, 243, and 284 came out in the shorter actioned levers and autos like the finnwolf, 88 & 100, and higher powered 99s the '06 had the balls "man" and was well established. That is why the Rem 742 and 760 had the balls with the 270, 280, '06, and 35 Whelan. Many of those 760s with the '06 could do well under an inch and won a number of World Deer Running Championships in Scandinavia. They are fast handling and quick for the deer hunting and deer drives of the east. They could also transform their attributes from fast repeat shots on 200 lb bucks in a cedar swamp to shootin a 1/4 mile across a clear cut.

In the west you have big ranches, BLMs, State, and NF. For most in the east there is only state, federal, and smaller private. In the east most won't go a quarter mile off the county dirt road whereas in the west you might make 3 or more mile hikes or horseback rides to your actual hunting grounds. The 7mm RM, 338, and 300 WMs seem just a little much for the 100 lb salt block doe seasons. lol If you were to do moose, elk, or bear at least every other year then the BLR or BAR it would be more applicable. It doesn't have all the TV or movie western advertisement of being retro cool and traditional. Ever since the last mid century more and more shotgun zones are applied. There is probably more, but I will stop my jibberin.

All that being said, my weapon of choice was the 760 '06 carbine as I hunted state and NF. Most of the time I didn't start really hunting until I got back in about a mile. I was usually a pre scout sign, terrain, or transition zone hunter. But, there were many times I would go on a drive, do some slippin with rain or fresh snow, or move from old deer blind to old deer blind rattlin & gruntin. The 338 WM in the BLR with its configuration of scope mount, lightness for cal, handling, etc hand loaded to 35 Whelan ballistics with the higher BC boolits would have seemed like a fine choice along with the 88, 100, 99, or finnwolf in the 284 for the style of hunting that I did. Also, the 338 with a pour you own of about 300 grains with a BruceB style boolit could have done well with decent PBR ballistics out to and maybe just pass a couple hundred yards playing around the 2200 fps range or a bit more.

MT Gianni
06-28-2016, 03:12 PM
I own a pre 81 Blr in 308 and have owned a newer 358 and a Win 356. No comparison, both Brownings beat Win in accuracy and ease of feed, The 308 will be the last gun I ever own, having killed everything from moose to ground squirrels. Most sheep follow what the gunwriters say and they don't like levers especially non traditional looking ones. With multiple magazines one with 150 gr and one with 165 or 180 or one with cast I am set for deer, elk, bear in timber or open country. In Montana where you might not be able to see over 20 yards then open to 400 yard ridges on the far side of the draw I cannot find a better choice. The followup of not having to take the rifle away from your cheek if you need a second shot is huge.

HangFireW8
06-28-2016, 04:17 PM
While chambered in bolt gun calibers they don't have the same level of accuracy, lock time or trigger pull. They don't have the same rate of fire of the semi-autos. Most don't find them as handy as 94's or 336's.

I know a BLR 308 owner that would dispute claim of lacking the same level of accuracy.

I own a pre 81 Blr in 308 ... In Montana where you might not be able to see over 20 yards then open to 400 yard ridges on the far side of the draw I cannot find a better choice. The followup of not having to take the rifle away from your cheek if you need a second shot is huge.

None of my hunting rifles require removing my cheek to reload, whether they are bolt or lever. I don't hunt with any break-opens, and I know there are lots of rifles out there (including bolt actions that will hit the user's nose,) but you don't have to restrict yourself to BLR's or even Levers to reload while maintaining cheek weld.

northmn
06-29-2016, 01:01 PM
The lever action market is really pretty limited. The cowboy shooters have Uberti's and Rossi's. Try getting a Marlin 94 in 357. As to the general appeal of a BLR. They copied the carbines too much to make me want to bother with one. 20 inch barrels in 308 based cases don't do a lot for me. Savage tried to keep the 99 in the market and started going to shorter barrels also. BLR's are very spendy and I can get a good bolt action in a good cartridge for less. While a lever is kind of fun to use, for anything I cannot use the old 35 Marlin for, I grab a bolt. While I could afford getting a BLR in a good caliber and using it for one gun, it just does not seem to offer me the incentive to pay for one. To be honest, looking at new Marlins and Henry's give me a bit of sticker shock also. I think all levers are going to come on ahrd times for general use. Used to be you bought a 30-30 for the kid or wife to use. Now its an inexpensive bolt. Some are even made in youth models and an interesting pink camouflage.

DP

Artful
06-29-2016, 04:28 PM
I have a Win 88 - my friend had pre 81 BLR - I'll stay with the Winchester.
That said his was handy but I hated the magazine compared to the Winchester.
And has been said take down was terrible.

lightload
06-29-2016, 06:09 PM
I owned 5 over the years in.223, .308, 270, and 30-06. All were accurate, but their straight stocks with low comb prevented the rifles from being effectively used with scopes. I liked them but never found a niche for these rifles other than plinking with the two .223 versions. All had poor triggers. All were nicely made and showed high quality. All had poor iron sights. On one I hired a gunsmith to do a trigger job. He did not do it well and returned the rifle to me improperly assembled. Getting him to assemble it correctly took all of my tact and patience.

TXGunNut
06-30-2016, 01:02 AM
A BLR in hunting camp is a bit like a dandy in cow camp. May not be fair but it takes a lot of functionality to overcome some pretty awesome fit & finish. It's not easy being beautiful. IMHO the BLR is a great rifle. just can't share any first-hand experience.

Clay M
06-30-2016, 09:27 PM
I had one of the original BLRs in .308 win .We got it when they first came out.
It was a nice rifle, wish I still had it in a way.
I traded it so I could afford to buy an original 86 win, so you see where my loyalty lies.
I no longer have the original 86 either.
I guess I always liked to swap and trade when I was younger.
It was the only way I could afford to experience owning and shooting a lot of different rifles.

Driver man
06-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Sold a Finnwolf once when I needed the money, should have sent the wife out to work instead. Wife has gone but I sure miss that Finnwolf. I kept one of the magazines just because.

Texas by God
07-07-2016, 10:46 PM
I was visiting my niece and her family in SW Colorado last week and her husband was showing me the family arsenal and out comes a Belgian BLR in .243 with a Weaver K4. A neighbor's gift to their oldest daughter before he passed. She is 16 now and got her first elk at age 14 ( with a different .243). I told them to take that Browning hunting or I would steal it! Best,Thomas.

Paul B
07-08-2016, 12:29 AM
I have a Pre81 Nipponese version BLR in .358 Win. Got it for a fair price but accuracy was not to my liking. (2.5" to 3.0" at 100 yards) Tinkered with the forearm some and relieved the barrel band and now it runs 1.0" to 1.25". The only problem is the forearm rattles a bit. My other Browning is a replica of the 1895 Winchester in 30-06. Does not have the high gloss finish on the stock and IMHO the oil finish was very poorly done. The pores in the wood were never filled in. Dunno how that got past Browning's QC but it did. My favorite Browning though is my B78 in 30-06. A bit heavy but very accurate.
Paul B.