PDA

View Full Version : The more I shoot it, the more I love it.

modified5
06-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Monday I took a few guns out to play including my Rossi R92 in 44 mag.
I bought some HSM cowboy bulet's for it. Thanks were the 200 grn rnfp.
Unfortunately we had the typical Nevada gale force winds but I did get a nice little 3/4 inch 3 shot group at 50 during a lull. :smile:
I haven't done anything to this thing since I bought it but clean and shoot it. It is a great little carbine! It is a blued 20 inch model as basic as it gets. I bought it at Big 5 when they had it on sale for $400. It is nice and slick and handles well.
I wouldn't hesitate to take a deer with it for a minute.
I can't wait to measure the bore and order a rnfp mould for it.
This is turning into one of my favorite levers guns rather quickly.
I may replace the lawyer safety with a peep at some point but it's great for now.

Shuz
06-22-2016, 10:03 AM
Good luck with your Rossi 44mag. I have a 16" Trapper model and I love mine. If you wanna improve the action and trigger pull, I suggest you look into a CD offered by Steve's Gunz. It is a tutorial that shows how to take it down, modify or change parts, and put it back together again.

Hick
06-22-2016, 11:27 AM
"Typical Nevada gale force winds"-- Sounds like you're in northern Nevada - we could almost be neighbors. Sounds like a good rifle!

modified5
06-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Hick, we are fairly close. I'm in Reno.

Kestrel4k
06-22-2016, 07:29 PM
[...] I can't wait to measure the bore and order a rnfp mould for it.
I also have a new-to-me Rossi M92 44Mag, and I'm very interested to find out what your bore slugs at; please keep us posted. :)

[...] I may replace the lawyer safety with a peep at some point but it's great for now.
I know that most folks dislike the bolt safety, but I find this particular iteration very unobtrusive and will probably use it when unloading the magazine via cycling the bolt.

I do have a Marbles tang sight on the rifle and it's a natural. :)

Best of luck with your new Rossi,

TXGunNut
06-22-2016, 08:47 PM
Agreed, Rossi makes a fun little gun. I bought Steve's peep sight and DVD, money well spent.

chuckerbird
06-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Hick, I'm about 51 miles east of you. Got to hit the range early to beat the wind in north/east Nevada.

KCcactus
06-24-2016, 08:07 AM
They are fun! I started with a stainless 20" 357, with the excuse being it would help my son get ready for a rifle large enough to hunt with. He got his first deer with it. I added the same in 44 so I would have one to use. Now my son likes the 44 better. My daughter and wife like the 357. You should consider changing the extractor spring. It will make a huge difference in how high the empties go.

modified5
06-24-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm sure since I can never leave well enough alone that I will modify it at some point. :-)
They had both the .357 and 44 on sale at the same time and I would have loved both but the 44 won out. Some day I will add the .357 to the stable.

EllasPapa
07-01-2016, 11:05 PM
They are huge fun! I have a Rossi Ranch Hand in .357 that I put a Boyd's full length 92 stock on (BTW, being in Canada, it isn't an SBR with this mod; no extra paperwork, just a gun that shoots 100 times better). What an absolute BLAST!

It's still short enough to stuff it on a backpack for a trail gun, and it has plenty of accuracy for deer out to around 100 yds. I've been working up a couple of hot loads for bush work. I'm a Search & Rescue tech and the area I live in has had a huge increase in the black bear & cougar population the last couple of years; it's pretty infrequent these days to go more than an hour in the bush without running into one or the other. The little Rossi is great for piece of mind.

I ran about 400 rounds through it, then broke it down and took the stones & files to every bearing surface I could find, and it's a really slick, quick little carbine.

TXGunNut
07-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Welcome to the forum, EllasPapa. Thank you for your service.

nagantguy
07-01-2016, 11:36 PM
My friend mentor and trainer has one of the rossi in 44, i love it, it's every bit as accurate and smooth as my old well used winny trapper!

northmn
07-02-2016, 10:20 AM
I have one in 357 and keep telling folks that Marlin sells a lot of Rossi's. I did have to drill and tap mine for a receiver sight as mine would not sight in with 357's until I filed down the rear sight. As a receiver sight decorates all my levers that do not have a scope it was no big deal. If I did not already have a Marlin 38-55 CB I would have a Rossi in 44. Wish they would make a 94 copy in 30-30.

DEP

OverMax
07-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Bolt guns and there scopes are so accurate these days one can loose interest in their target shooting rather quickly >I think. I'm lucky to have a rifle or three to use for my pleasure shooting.(bolts semi & levers) For years I've had only those old levers laying on the back seat going to my local club range with me. Levers are just more interesting & pleasing to shoot I think. Little doubt those levers will keep any shooter long term or not so long term wondering. As they do have there quirks and can make even a old timer hand-loader like me return to the reloading bench hoping to make a better accurate cartridge for its use. Nothing fancy shooting or having unusual tolerances and or matching weighs. Just shells with a common lead cast bullet with powder charges raised or lowered in hopes to see a tighter than 3" grouping at 100. (no cheater glass mounted on my levers. No sir. Just their plain jane original Buck Horn barrel sights I prefer to use~~keeps their target shooting interesting outing after outing.) Modified5 I'm tickled too and consider it a privilege to read you're having fun with that Rossi 44. "Keep on slinging that 44s lead down range. "

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

rondog
07-02-2016, 02:54 PM
I have a Rossi R92 on layaway, the 24" octagonal barreled model in .45 Colt, in stainless steel. I've got the cash to pay it off and bring it home, but the dang shop is closed until July 9th for "inventory and remodeling". I suspect there's some vacationing going on too.....

Can't wait to get it, I've never had to wait for a gun before and it's driving me nuts! Gonna make this one more special though.

It looks exactly like this one..... I like the longer handguard and forend cap, and lack of barrel bands. First thing I'm going to do is take it apart for cleaning and slicking up. I need to spend some $$$ with Steve's Gunz too.

DerekP Houston
07-02-2016, 03:06 PM
well now...that is a handsome looking rifle that needs to match my 357 version. If I might ask of you fellas who already own one, what are you sizing your boolits to for these models? I understand 44 magnum handgun is quite different than 44 magnum rifle, and just curious if the mold I already purchased might work for these.

rondog
07-02-2016, 04:30 PM
well now...that is a handsome looking rifle that needs to match my 357 version. If I might ask of you fellas who already own one, what are you sizing your boolits to for these models? I understand 44 magnum handgun is quite different than 44 magnum rifle, and just curious if the mold I already purchased might work for these.

I don't know, work in progress for me. My Winchester .44 Trapper doesn't like standard .430 boolits, spits 'em everywhere. I'm thinking about getting a .434 sizer and trying fat ones.

DerekP Houston
07-02-2016, 05:29 PM
I don't know, work in progress for me. My Winchester .44 Trapper doesn't like standard .430 boolits, spits 'em everywhere. I'm thinking about getting a .434 sizer and trying fat ones.

I bought a mold from NOE for my revolver that is too fat, but sizes at 434.....I'd rather buy another gun anyways ;). If you would like some to test let me know, they are swc design.

rondog
07-02-2016, 05:45 PM
I bought a mold from NOE for my revolver that is too fat, but sizes at 434.....I'd rather buy another gun anyways ;). If you would like some to test let me know, they are swc design.

PM coming.

modified5
07-03-2016, 01:24 PM
I finally got to clean and slug the barrel. It slugs out at .430 on the money.
I have a 240 grain rn Lee mould that I have yet to try.
If it throws .431 or so I will.see how they shoot but I still want a 200 gr rfn to try.

parson48
07-03-2016, 03:04 PM
I have a Rossi 92 in 44 mag. I load the Lee 200 gr. rf with 5 grains of 231 and its a joy to shoot at the range. As for accuracy- I'm looking at cataract surgery, and the sights are pretty fuzzy! I'll know more about how straight it shoots after the eye balls heal up!

bullseye67
07-03-2016, 04:33 PM
I also, as mentioned by another Northern poster, made my mares leg into a shoulder shooter. Added a safety replacement peep site. Golf balls off of tees at 25 yards and tennis balls at 50 yards. Lots of Lee T/L 158gr have been sent down range. I also have a SS 45 Colt and it is a lot of fun uses up a lot of lead fast. The best is the Lee 255gr RFN and Trailboss powder.
I completely agree with the fun aspect of these Rossi 92's and plinking. My take is a golf ball or swinging plate isn't something that requires "one shot one kill" type shooting. And cheaper than 22 LR.....in 357!

OverMax
07-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Probably need .002 oversize to see your best accuracy.

Kestrel4k
07-05-2016, 04:57 PM
I finally got to clean and slug the barrel. It slugs out at .430 on the money.[...]
Thanks for that info,

DerekP Houston
07-05-2016, 05:01 PM
PM coming.

Should be back in town early this week, will have a batch on your doorstep soon as I can stand the heat outside.