PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a New Carry Gun-XD-S?

alamogunr
06-20-2016, 12:47 PM
I've been looking for a new smaller carry gun. So far I've been attracted to the XD-S. I've watched several YouTube videos(Kind hard to filter BS/good info). All I've been able to do is handle a 9mm XD-S but since it is available in .45ACP, I would like to see that also. Dealer has promised to notify when one comes in.

Any info/recommendations are welcome.

odfairfaxsub
06-20-2016, 01:21 PM
I had one in 45. Shot as good at 10 yards as my xd5 inch.

really snappy but super pistol

LUCKYDAWG13
06-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Carry mine a lot if I was to do over it would get the 4" barrel instead of the 3.3

DougGuy
06-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Check out Kahr Arms. I have their CW45 which is 1lb 10oz loaded, surprisingly accurate, and a buttery smooth D/A pull for every shot. Firing pin block safety, can safely carry with one in the chamber and no visible cocked and locked carry to intimidate the natives. MADE IN USA ;)

scattershot
06-20-2016, 01:54 PM
I have the 9mm. My buddy has a .45, and it gets painful to shoot after lots of rounds at the range, due to the tank tread grips. If I had known about Talon Grips when I bought mine, it probably would have been a .45 as well.

great little pistols, you won't go wrong either way.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Tallon grips are the way to go the rubber ones not the skateboard tape one's they sell

mjwcaster
06-20-2016, 11:53 PM
I really want to try out the 4" 45 XDS.
The 3.3 is snappy.
Many reports of the 4" being much more controllable.
We went with shields in 9mm and love them.
I am a huge Springfield fan, but like the feel of the shield better.

I will be doing some side by side testing of the XDS and shield in a few weeks.

Just took a 9mm 3.3" XDS in on trade the other day at the shop.

I put the XDS on layaway, but was really disappointed that the customer didn't trade in his glock 30 that I really wanted.

I need a second job to pay for all the deals I am running into working at a gun store.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

mjwcaster
06-20-2016, 11:54 PM
And third on the rubber talon grips, I recommend them to everyone and run them on almost all my pistols.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

dubber123
06-21-2016, 06:00 AM
Shot one of the XD's in .45 Recoil wasn't too bad, and it shot better than expected. I like the feel of the Shield I picked up better, (40 version) The .45 Shields are supposed to start shipping soon. Friend has a Kahr, and it shoots well, has a stainless slide, and costs less than the others.

osteodoc08
06-22-2016, 04:22 PM
I recently bought both an XDS in 45 and a Smith Shield PC in 9.

Both are superb carry guns, just depends on what caliber you want. I'm gonna continue to shoot both and decide which one is gonna be my summer carry gun. I might just end up with a shield 45 as well when I can get my hands on one

kayala
06-22-2016, 04:26 PM
I didn't care for the XDS-s grip safety so I went with Shield (in 40). Smith & Wesson announced earlier this year that they releasing Shield in 45, actually it's already on the website with MSRP $479 with or without thumb safety.

Bigslug
06-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Shot quite a few XDs .45's. Really accurate, but a case of too big a round in too small a pistol - they are quite snappy. For that general size of thing, I like the 9mm's better, but truth be told, I prefer a stainless .357 J-frame to all of the above.

Mica_Hiebert
06-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Every one I have handled the trigger makes me gag! My brother picked one up and says the trigger breaks in nicely after a couple hundred rounds. I still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

alamogunr
06-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Every one I have handled the trigger makes me gag! My brother picked one up and says the trigger breaks in nicely after a couple hundred rounds. I still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Are you referring to the .45ACP or the 9mm? One Youtube video I watched criticized the trigger on the .45 ACP and said the 9mm was much better. I don't know how much he shot it.

charlie b
06-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I really like my full size XD in .45 First striker pistol I've had. Works well and trigger is nice (one of the reasons I liked it better than some others). Beware, .45 ACP in small guns can be brutal. Grips make all the difference so try out several to see what fits. If I conceal carry a .45 it is the wife's light commander.

rototerrier
06-24-2016, 11:45 AM
I just recently switch to a XD Mod 2 45 and mostly love it. I've alternated between Glock 43, Glock 19 and a 38 j frame and decided to bump up to 45. I carry IWB and it just "fits".

IMO, the trigger is pretty bad. I've gotten somewhat used to it, but it just has too much travel and a long reset. It's a long squishy pull. I plan on doing something about it soon. But, it's very comfortable to carry and gets the job done.

lee n. field
06-24-2016, 09:08 PM
I've been looking for a new smaller carry gun. So far I've been attracted to the XD-S. I've watched several YouTube videos(Kind hard to filter BS/good info). All I've been able to do is handle a 9mm XD-S but since it is available in .45ACP, I would like to see that also. Dealer has promised to notify when one comes in.

Any info/recommendations are welcome.

I got one last year, to replace/upgrade a Kel Tec PF9. Mine is a 9mm. I have shot both the .45 and the new .40 version.

It works fine. I've had zero failures to feed, fire, eject, etc.

It is pocketable, albeit on the high edge of pocketability. As always, IMHO & YMMV. With the extended magazines I find it quite handy as a belt gun.

I do not find it uncomfortable to shoot. I do, however, find it more difficult to shoot well than my similarly sized bun, the XD Subcompact. I suspect it is because the XDS' grip is narrow, and flat.

Butler Ford
06-24-2016, 10:52 PM
I have a XDS 9 3.3 and I have carried it daily for the last two years. I'm quite happy with it. I prefer it's trigger over the Glock because of the unrestricted travel from beginning to end instead of the "hump" caused by the firing pin safety in the Glock.
As an aside, the pinkey extension on the magazine turns it into a full grip pistol for average hands. To me, it makes a world of difference.

BF

alamogunr
06-25-2016, 10:36 AM
I'm reading each response as they are posted so don't think they aren't helpful. I was leaning toward the .45 ACP XD-S but after reading these posts and watching Youtube video's(not sure if they are helpful), I've decided that a 9mm might be more useful. I have an officer's size .45 if I need a bigger cartridge. It's just heavier in addition to being bigger.

I haven't bought anything yet, so any additional comments are welcome.

DougGuy
06-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Check out Kahr Arms. I have their CW45 which is 1lb 10oz loaded, surprisingly accurate, and a buttery smooth D/A pull for every shot. Firing pin block safety, can safely carry with one in the chamber and no visible cocked and locked carry to intimidate the natives. MADE IN USA ;)

Have you handled any of the Kahr pistols? Try their trigger, it's buttery smooth and very liveable. The CW45 isn't much more than most .380s in size and weight, even fully loaded. They do make it in a 9mm, same size CW9 and CW45.

The idea behind comfortable concealed carry seems to be to keep getting smaller and lighter until you start negatively affecting accuracy or foot pounds of energy, and consider this as the limit where any further reduction in size or weight would mean a serious reduction in performance or capacity or caliber. The Kahr is about right there, and what impressed me most about the CW45 isn't the gun itself, but the bullet performance of Speer 230gr Gold Dot JHP from the 3.6" barrel of the Kahr. This one was dug out of 9" of red Carolina clay and you couldn't ask for more textbook perfect bullet performance from such a portable platform.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Kahr%20CW45/SpeerGoldDotSoilTest7-4-2015_zpsyf4bj0w4.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Kahr%20CW45/SpeerGoldDotSoilTest7-4-2015_zpsyf4bj0w4.jpg.html)

If you are going to shoot cast or handloads, both the XDS and the Kahr would have to be throated to shoot .452" but I used some IQ Metals 230gr plated HP sized .451" to break in my Kahr and they worked really well. Factory ammo with .451" bullets work good in either barrel but .452" won't work at all in either barrel before throating, unless seated deep enough in the case which actually promotes failures to feed in the .45 caliber models. I have throated enough XDS barrels to see how they run and they are basically devoid of throat.

alamogunr
06-25-2016, 01:26 PM
I'll check out the Kahr. I don't know if the dealer I've been bugging with all my visits to check out various guns carries Kahr but I'm sure he could get it if I wanted to see and handle one. They are very accommodating.

I'm still not sure that I want a .45 in such a small/light gun but that performance is thought provoking.

charlie b
06-25-2016, 01:45 PM
First, a gun that small in .45 is not that much fun to shoot, kinda like my little SP101 with full .357 mag loads. Yes, go and practice with it, but, it won't be your primary range or plinking gun.

Second, if you already have an Officer's .45 then that's a practical size for carrying. Yes, you can go smaller and lighter. See above :)

Third, at the short ranges such a gun will be used I'd put less emphasis on triggers and such and just figure out if you can handle it quickly for 5yd shots.

Last, why a .45? 9mm, or even better the .40, are better suited for smaller guns. Don't get sold on a cartridge just cause someone has some nice 'mushroom' photos. Many, many of those fail to expand when they go through a few layers of denim or leather. Focus on shot placement rather than thinking a superexpanding bullet will somehow case death a split second faster or will make up for a poor shot.

Spector
06-28-2016, 05:38 AM
I have been carrying a 45 ACP 3.3'' barrel XDS for a few years now. Sent it back for the recall. Trigger is not what I consider great, but acceptable.

I had Accurate Molds make me a 230 grain RF mold with no lube grooves. I think it is 45-230Z that he made to my spec. Wish I had made the .32'' meplate a little larger as I think my XDS would still feed it 100% of the time. I hard cast them and sized at .452''. I just cast some of pretty pure lead + 3% tin and am installing PB gas checks on those to text. It casts a little heavy but I may have it hollow pointed.

I installed a Crimson Trace green Laser Guard. I plunk test every round and have not had a single problem since I started doing that. I am still learning the laser, but it has definitely improved the effectiveness and my speed and accuracy. My pistol shoots high with the factory fixed sights. I like it and carry it daily in a belly band or IWB holster depending on how I am dressed. I bought my daughter-in-law the 4'' model a few months back and like it at the range, but have not carried it. it might be the better choice.

I have pushed my loads up a little over 900 fps and my Crimson Trace disconnected where the switch meets the fame under the trigger guard. I am shooting for a 220 to 225 grain HP at 850 to 860 fps.

I handled a friends 40 cal Shield in his garage a week ago and it certainly felt good in my hand.

As Doug says, the XDS has no throat, but it does appear to have a well supported chamber. I have purchased Starline 45 Super brass to get better strength from my brass. I had my 1st gen Glock 21 deconstruct in my hands due to a catastrophic case failure some years back. Barrel and slide were fine, but lost the rest of the frame. It was not a pleasant experience and the memory of that incident is embedded in my brain forever. In the end I may wind up asking Doug to throat mine.

The aggressive checkering on my frame is not a problem for me in the summer. It is a problem when I shoot it in cold weather. I may install the Talon rubber grip someone mentioned.

I had a small Kahr 40 for a short time. After 35 rounds the barrel and slide had battered and the extractor flew out of the pistol. Kahr would have fixed it, but I just traded it off eventually. I have to believe Kahr has that battering problem solved by now.

Kahr does have a wide trigger and it is smooth as butter and double action only. An extremely comfortable pistol as I recall. A friend of mine had the 45 and I shot it accurately. I sort of like the double action trigger, in the case of Kahr at least, because they are so smooth.

The XDS is fine and l like mine. I loved the feel of my Kahr and was impressed with the feel and size of my friends Shield.

I suggest handling all 3 and then making a decision.

I highly recommend a green laser on any of these small pistols. I am only familiar with the Crimson Trace brand at this point. I was hitting an 8'' steel target at 25 yards every time awhile back. I was wearing my electronic muffs that amplify and I heard one guy tell his buddy ''look he's doing that from the hip''. Made me chuckle to myself. Then his buddy asked me when the magazine was empty if I was using a laser. I am 69 with cataracts and this combination will help keep me in the fight or let me end it very quickly from the draw I believe. Of course plans have a way of going south quickly sometimes. grin

Mike

alamogunr
06-28-2016, 10:47 AM
I appreciate the response to this thread and I especially appreciate those such as the previous poster who admits that he is what most would call a senior citizen. Twenty years ago I would have wondered what someone his age was doing shooting a .45ACP. Today, I know since .45ACP is one of my favorite cartridges. I will be 74 in a couple of weeks and I enjoy my .45 Colts, .45 Casull and the .475 Linebaugh. I'm also enjoying trying to decide on a new carry gun. While recoil of a small gun is not a great concern, it does have to be considered in a different light than the previous big boomers. Hopefully, after I finish my workout at the fitness center, I can continue the quest for the carry gun that is best for me. Thanks again and don't quit posting experiences with small guns.

Spector
06-28-2016, 03:59 PM
I worked out today too..................at a Chinese buffet. My XDS was at my side in an Uncle Mike's IWB and under a Hawaiian short. I bought a Crossbreed Mini-tuck to fit my laser, but don''t really care for it that much.

Mike