PDA

View Full Version : where to get pure lead

the sentinel
05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right part of the board to ask, but it seems to make sense. I'm looking for pure lead, and so far, I've been coming up short. I'm looking to cast .690 cal lead balls for shotgun reloading. I was told I could use an alloy if my gun is cylinder bore, and they are, but my brother's isn't.

So I'm wondering if there's any places online that sell pure lead, or if there's anyone here in the Chester County PA area that knows of any stores that sell lead pipe, or any other vessels of pure lead? Thank you!

JSnover
05-19-2008, 12:44 PM
There are quite a few online sources. I think Buffalo Arms carries lead or used to. If it has to be pure, try The Antimony Man or McMaster-Carr. Try a Want To Buy thread in the swappin' and sellin' section, you might get a better price there.

rbwillnj
05-19-2008, 12:52 PM
You might want to hook up with a local roofer. Many older homes have lead flashing which the roofer removes and replaces with tin when he puts on a new roof.

snuffy
05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Midway has it, but at $4.25/lb shipped, those would be some expensive balls!
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=133824

GabbyM
05-19-2008, 02:19 PM
If you strike out on a direct source.
Call up recyclers in your Yellow Pages. The price will vary widely. shouldn't be more than a dollar per pound. eighty cents is more like it. Get soft sheet lead, pipes and such. Should be able to slice a small sliver from it with a pocket knife.

trooperdan
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Get any lead you can, WW, etc and offer to swap for pure lead. Also, hit up your dentist, the lead foil that protects x-ray flm is near pure. BTW, that is another source leaving the scene, more and more dentists are going digital i hear!

AZ-Stew
05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
TD is correct. My dentist has been using digital for a couple of years. They stick a device in your mouth that takes the place of the little x-ray film holder they used to use, pull the x-ray generator around like they used to and shoot it. Within seconds the black and white image (looks just like an x-ray film) shows up on the computer screen. The image is actually larger than the old films, thereby showing more detail.

I'm sure the digital sensor and software aren't cheap, but they'll certainly save money in the long run, they're a LOT faster to produce an image that can be evaluated and they're "environmentally frendly".

Regards,

Stew

Johnw...ski
05-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I have been getting my pure lead from e-bay. There are several sellers advertising pure lead from pipe and flashing. I don't know if its pure or not but it is really soft and I am alloying it anyway. With shipping it has been averaging about $1.25 per pound in 50 pound lots.

John

dwtim
05-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Four twenty-five? Good Lord, that is an outrageous price. I guess they didn't get the memo that the traders are buying lead at less than 1.05 USD now and into the foreseeable future, as well as the fact that tin dropped from $15/lb. to under $11, and copper is down 20 cents per. That's worse than the 350 % over materials cost on gas checks.

...I mean, jeez, even at its peak lead was about $1.80 a pound. What are they doing to it before they send it out, giving it a Swedish massage?

The second place I would try is a plumbing supply company -- that's if you absolutely gotta have it right now, and want something that is assuredly "pure". I was surprised to find that certain suppliers in my area still sell lead flashing etc., just not the mickey mouse chain stores. Anyway, right now the first place I look is inside condom bullets; just melted out about six pounds a couple nights ago. Yes, "range lead". Or more accurately: free-range lead?

I can't stockpile lead, so I instead pay fair prices and buy from local vendors with reliable stock. Maybe your situation is different.

EDIT: I meant lead wire / bars, not flashing. Sorry. Everyone knows that in order to get lead flashing, you have to trap a roofer and answer his three riddles. (Then he shows you his pot of lead.)

hammerhead357
05-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Go to your local recycler. I purchased about 200 lbs. from one near me at 40 cents per pound. What is strange is there is an other yard that belongs to the same people about 35 or so miles away and they wanted 60 cents lb. So it pays to check around. The yard close to me sells all lead at the same price...Wes

Howdy Doody
05-20-2008, 02:35 AM
I cast a lot of balls and some conicals I shoot with BP. I have used stick on wheel weights the flat type, with great success. They are near pure lead, although I do get a lot of smoke when throwing them in the pot I use to make ingots due to the 2 sided tape they use to mount them.
Just another source to consider.

NVcurmudgeon
05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I cast a lot of balls and some conicals I shoot with BP. I have used stick on wheel weights the flat type, with great success. They are near pure lead, although I do get a lot of smoke when throwing them in the pot I use to make ingots due to the 2 sided tape they use to mount them.
Just another source to consider.

Howdy, Howdy. Do you remove the tape and glue before you melt the stick on-weights? I soak them in gasoline, paint thinner, etc. and the tape falls right off after an hour or so.

jonk
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I have gotten it here and from aforementioned stick on weights; also from plumbing supply houses, yes.

I surely wouldn't pay midway that price.

I don't do anything to remove the tape etc. from the stick on weights. It just burns off if you add enough heat, or if melting directly in the smelter, it can be scraped off as the lead melts before it gets too smoky.

Huntducks
05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Plumbing supply house for pure lead next try a scrap yard if you find 2-3-4 inch round rings they are pure lead and broken out of bells on hub cast iron pipe.

monadnock#5
05-21-2008, 08:17 AM
I checked the roofing section at the local Home Depot six months ago or so, and they had rolls of the sheet lead. The freight was more than I wanted to pay at the time, but it's a better deal than Midway, and no shipping charges.

Ifishsum
05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
You might want to hook up with a local roofer. Many older homes have lead flashing which the roofer removes and replaces with tin when he puts on a new roof.

Amen to this, I got over 75lbs of pure lead scrap from my roofer last month, just for the asking! Definitely an outside smelting job because of the tar, but it's nice and soft.

ANeat
05-21-2008, 03:55 PM
I have been getting my pure lead from e-bay. There are several sellers advertising pure lead from pipe and flashing. I don't know if its pure or not but it is really soft and I am alloying it anyway. With shipping it has been averaging about $1.25 per pound in 50 pound lots.

John

I have quite a bit of pure lead Ill probably be selling. I was considering here or EBAY. I just recieved my Flat Rate boxes and as soon as I get some boxed up Ill put an add up. Hopefully Ill get some ready over the weekend.

On here I think $1.00 a pound shipped would be fair.

Ive probably got more than I need plus scrounging lead is a bit of a hobby in itself and it keeps piling up.:???:

These are about 5lb ingots of pure.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/Image024.jpg

Alchemist
05-21-2008, 07:05 PM
ANeat,

At $1 a lb shipped, I'll get in line for about 50#s.

PM when you get ready to sell.

Alchemist

hiram
05-21-2008, 07:15 PM
soft lead is advertised on ebay. with shipping, it is about $1 / lb.

Poorboy
05-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I would like 200 lbs. or so, our club is going to have a casting day or two with one of the master caster--4,000 boolits per hour machines.

Sent infor and I will get check in mail.

Thanks

cohutt
05-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Adam is trustworthy; can't say that about ebay all the time. Besides, ebay is "the other side" on the whole gun thing and you'd be supporting that shiite

I have quite a bit of pure lead Ill probably be selling. I was considering here or EBAY. I just recieved my Flat Rate boxes and as soon as I get some boxed up Ill put an add up. Hopefully Ill get some ready over the weekend.

On here I think $1.00 a pound shipped would be fair.

Ive probably got more than I need plus scrounging lead is a bit of a hobby in itself and it keeps piling up.:???:

These are about 5lb ingots of pure.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/Image024.jpg

even if he is a show off :mrgreen:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/pb/misc115.jpg

ANeat
05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Showoff?? :mrgreen:

hammerhead357
05-22-2008, 09:36 PM
I just reread my post on this subject and I should have stated that what I purchased was roofing lead and was pure. I am not so sure about the stick on ww any more I think that they are getting harder. This may be due to the metal being recycled and the clip ons being added to the stick ons. Just my take on this and it may not be true in other areas....Wes

Bluehawk
05-23-2008, 08:39 AM
If your in Chester county try taking a ride up to Dixons in Hamburg He is mostly a Muzzle loader shop and carires pure lead and has moulds on hand . LOTS of round ball moulds and it would be a nice ride this time of the year . He can gice advice too He always has lead .

Poorboy
05-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Adam, thank you for the quick service on the 200 lbs. I am happy. Let me know if I can post a good review of you elsewhere.

Poorboy

ANeat
05-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Adam, thank you for the quick service on the 200 lbs. I am happy. Let me know if I can post a good review of you elsewhere.

Poorboy

Poorboy it was a pleasure. Glad you guys can use the pure stuff.

Ill put putting more for sale in the classifieds as I can get it packed up.

Adam

ssn vet
05-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Lead flashing is still used for roofing and masonry chimneys.....

It's actually preferred (appearance wise) over the thin galvanized metal and is readilly available at any building center/lumber yard.

I bought a 50 lb. roll (~$1/lb. +/-, if I recall correctly) for use on a home addition we built last year...

turns out my roofing contractor showed up with a roll of his own and used that.

Hmmmm.....

Now just what do you think I should do with that 50lb. roll :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

Though it's not as pretty as Adams stash, it is another re-loading expense snuck under my wife's radar screen [smilie=1:

Let me know if you ever want to part with any of that Lin-o-type Adam....