PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for a vernier sight for 1950s marlin 336

boise outlaw
06-19-2016, 10:36 PM
this is new territory for me, would like an adjustable vernier sight for shooting longer distances with my 1950s 336 35 rem. Wondering what brands i should look into or if there is a vintage model I should keep an eye out for on ebay. I assume i will also need to drill and tap the tang for most of these options as well?

Scharfschuetze
06-19-2016, 11:31 PM
If a receiver mounted aperture sight is acceptable, then you can't go wrong with the older Redfield and Lyman sights. The Lyman is still available for the Marlin. The older ones have a steel base while the newer ones have an aluminum base. Both work well.

Results on the target will equal a tang mounted vernier sight, but you may not have as many MOAs for elevation available to you as a tall vernier sight.

Here's a link for the Montana Vintage vernier sights:

https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

A Lyman sight on one of my Marlins.

blackhawk44
06-20-2016, 03:26 AM
Check leeshavergunsmithing.com.

boise outlaw
06-20-2016, 09:37 AM
i had forgotten i had a williams foolproof for my 1894c and looks like she will fit my marlin as well, its not the adjustable but i guess i can order adjustable knobs to make it a TK version. Scharschuetze I really like the looks of that lyman, is it adjustable for elevation by just turning the knob or are there lockdown screws as well? Need something that I can shoot bowling pins with at 100 yards and then quickly dial out to 200+ for steel targets.

In concerns to the tang sight with a lever gun, do they interfere with the bolt when cycling? It would be silly to install something I had to fold down after each shot.

Scharfschuetze
06-20-2016, 11:02 AM
Scharschuetze I really like the looks of that lyman, is it adjustable for elevation by just turning the knob or are there lockdown screws as well?

Boise,

Yes, it is fully adjustable via the knobs. Each click is about 1/4 MOA and there are 12 clicks per one revolution for 3 MOA per one rotation on both the elevation and deflection knobs. I have right at 60 MOA of usable elevation with the sight which, depending on your load, will get a boolit pretty far down range with perfect accuracy. Each index mark on the elevation slide is 3 MOA (one knob rotation) so it is very easy to record zeros for different ranges and loads. The little button on the back of the base lets you slip the elevation slide up and down for coarse or fast elevation correction between various ranges or loads without having to spin the knob excessively.

Here is a link to the Model 66 sight for Marlins or Winchesters:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/66-receiver-peep.php

I use either the Lyman or the Redfield aperture sights on almost all my lever guns from .22LR to 45/70

boise outlaw
06-20-2016, 02:50 PM
thanks! i really like the looks of that 66LA, the williams I have is the 94 375 not the 336 version, it uses the same mounting holes on the side of the receiver but you lose a little bit of the elevation adjustment. Probably just run with that for now and see if I cant find a vintage lyman 66 made of steel.

Wind
06-23-2016, 07:27 AM
Hey there B-outlaw -- Your choice of a receiver mounted sight is a good one if nothing else for basic economics. I'm a huge fan of the Montana Vintage Arms tang sights, but they are more expensive. However, if you do go down that route some day, buy the Marlin 1895 sight base. It fits all the Marlins factory drilled tangs, and those that need drilling.

170794 170795 170796 170797 170798

If you need to drill and tap your tang - follow these instructions and you should avoid any issues with the bolt striking the staff...

170799 170800

If your rifle's serial number is on the top tang it presents other issues. The Bat Boys frown on drilling out serial numbers.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind