PDA

View Full Version : Saddle ring carbines: How do you use the ring?

2ndAmendmentNut
06-19-2016, 10:30 PM
Just curious, how is the ring on a saddle ring carbine utilized? I have always been told the ring was for cowboys and soldiers to tie the rifle to a saddle. Was the rifle intended to be placed in a scabbard and then tied in place with the ring? Or did people literally just hang the rifle from the saddle by just the ring? Information and pictures would be most appreciated.

bob208
06-19-2016, 10:39 PM
the proper term is sling ring. the trooper wore a sling that went acrose the body from left to right. on this sling was a clip that hooked to the ring on the carbine. this was hooked to the sling with a roller. if for what ever reason you dropped your carbine while on a horse you did not lose your carbine.

pietro
06-19-2016, 10:40 PM

Courtesy of former cast boolits forum member, the late Junior Doherty (R.I.P.)

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/swivel1.jpg

Scharfschuetze
06-19-2016, 11:42 PM
For the Trapdoor Carbines, a muzzle boot was also attached to the right rear of his McClellan saddle to take the weight of the carbine while the trooper was mounted with the carbine slung over his shoulder. The old mounted demonstration platoon of the First Cavalry Division at Fort Hood used this set up. My brother has two McClellan saddles from the Indian Wars and one has the boot.

When I was stationed in Texas in the early 70s, one saw many saddle ring carbines in the used gun racks. When I asked the question about the Winchesters' saddle ring, I was told that a cowboy just used a leather thong through the ring and looped it over the horn on his saddle. I've never seen that illustrated or referred to anywhere, but it made sense to me.

Mk42gunner
06-20-2016, 02:21 AM
I wasn't there so I don't know (I'm not that old), but I think the sling ring was a carry over from the cavalry contracts. That type of sling makes sense to me for mounted troops, not so much for civilian use.

I have never seen a horse that likes to have a loose five to eight pound weight flopping around its shoulders.

It must be a big letdown for all the tacticool mall ninjas to find out that the modern single point sling goes back to at least the 1860's.

Robert

2ndAmendmentNut
06-20-2016, 07:59 AM
It must be a big letdown for all the tacticool mall ninjas to find out that the modern single point sling goes back to at least the 1860's.

Robert

In those days the ring was tacticool.

Thank you for all the replies!

bob208
06-20-2016, 09:07 AM
i will add that winchester all ways had hopes of a u.s. contract. that is one reason the ring was put on carbines.

bruce drake
06-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Lets see if this image comes through.

bruce drake
06-20-2016, 01:13 PM
And this one 170639

Texas by God
06-20-2016, 01:24 PM
I believe they were used with a leather loop to hang over the saddle horn to keep the Winchester in the scabbard. I've always found them annoying so remove them.Best, Thomas.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-20-2016, 10:46 PM
Those old photos are really cool! Thank you and please keep them coming.

HawkCreek
06-20-2016, 11:43 PM
I know it's not the proper way but this is about as much use as the saddle ring on my rifle gets.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh29/HawkCreek_photos/Guns/IMAG1186_zpssqiwhvnr.jpg

bruce drake
06-21-2016, 12:00 AM
http://www.truewestmagazine.com/american-frontiersmen-devised-the-best-ways-to-carry-a-rifle/
I believe the leather loop on the saddle horn is called a California Horn. I'm not a western shooter or SASS type but I can used a Google search.

Clay M
06-21-2016, 11:43 AM
I know it's not the proper way but this is about as much use as the saddle ring on my rifle gets.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh29/HawkCreek_photos/Guns/IMAG1186_zpssqiwhvnr.jpg

I do exactly the same thing to keep the ring from rattling and making noise when I am hunting.

Eutectic
06-21-2016, 12:59 PM
The old cowboys I've met around this rugged Bitterroot Mountain territory almost all used a thong of leather between a ring on the scabbard and the ring on their carbine. Not only is our terrain capable of dislodging the carbine from the scabbard without notice but the everyday work with cattle had a good horse turning on a dime!
I've got an ol' Model 92 carbine .25-20 that was bought new around here in 1926.... It spent its whole life aboard a cow pony until its owner died.... I have it now and the outside shows the scabbard/ring wear but the bore looks like a mirror...;)

Eutectic

rondog
06-21-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm sure there were both proper and improvised methods used by soldiers and cowboys and buffalo hunters. Bottom line is the ring was for securing the rifle to the rider so it wouldn't get away if dropped.

Same with the lanyard loop on many handguns. But that wasn't necessarily for horseback use only.

Bigslug
06-25-2016, 04:51 PM
Single point sling adapter, circa 1870. . .

Do you think they added extra buckles to the sling, died the leather black, called it "tactical", and charged extra?