PDA

View Full Version : REM 597 problem

roysha
06-19-2016, 06:58 PM
First let me say that I am not impressed with this plastic wonder from REM. But that's just me. To each his own.

I installed a customer supplied Volquartson extractor and hammer in this 597 and now it won't completely return to battery every time, most of the time but not everytime. If I push the bolt forward after each shot it fires every time so I suspect the new extractor is the issue. I have installed these extractors before with no problems.

So, what is going on. Do I need to install a slightly heavier recoil spring, a lighter extractor spring or is there something else going on I'm unaware of. If a heavier or lighter spring is called for, do I get it from Volquartson or Wolff or where?

1Hawkeye
06-21-2016, 11:27 AM
You need to balance out the tension on the recoil springs. If they are not balanced it will cause the bolt to bind and not go into battery properly.

roysha
06-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Well, after researching this situation on dedicated 597 forums, it seems that the guide rods must be allowed to wiggle around a bit. When I reassembled the rifle I snugged down the two screws that hold the guide rods in as one would normally assume it should be done. NOPE! Backed the screws out to flush with the rear of the receiver and it ran like a top. Another lesson learned.

I did check the springs as suggested in the above post and the only way I can check them is to compare length. They were virtually identical in length with everything else being the same so I suspect they are good to go.

1Hawkeye
06-22-2016, 11:19 AM
Yep that's what I meant. 597's run pretty good you just have to remember the guide rods and springs.